• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
formeropenside said:
Noddy said:
former, good point re Abram. I guess we are still after Tomeki.

Abram is not taking my advice; he's playing outside centre for Wests again this weekend (after scoring two tries in a defeated team last week).

I suppose if Morgs goes then thats a 13 slot opening up, as Siale has been cut too I understand (but he is currently playing for Uni in Premier rugby still, so perhaps he will stay in Qld and tough it out - good for him).

That leaves Hynes, Ioane, Fainga'a, Fetoai and Va'aulu (and maybe Caleb Brown?) as the outside backs in the squad, by my count.

You missed Blair Connor in that list, and he has been the outstanding 13 in Brisbane Premier grade. Be interesting to see where he starts with the 20's and how he goes.

Abram actually made a fair fist of 13 in the mud last week. Surprising toe, good backing up, and certainly not the typical body shape of a hooker.

3M was solid, and good to see him back. Shit he's a big unit!

F

formeropenside

spectator said:
You missed Blair Connor in that list, and he has been the outstanding 13 in Brisbane Premier grade. Be interesting to see where he starts with the 20's and how he goes.

Abram actually made a fair fist of 13 in the mud last week. Surprising toe, good backing up, and certainly not the typical body shape of a hooker.

3M was solid, and good to see him back. Shit he's a big unit!

I did forget Connor in that list. It will be interesting to see how he goes. Interesting to see if Abram stays in the backs; with Wests having backrowers of Roe (injured), Luafutu, Higginbotham and MMM, I can't see him getting a run - although Wallaby and A duties will create the odd opening there.

I;m not sure Fainga'a has the body shape for hooker either myself; physical around the park is one thing, but holding the scrum together is a tough job. Despite being a little lighter, I think Hanson looks more the part. Who knows though, 2009 could be Hardman's year!

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Holmes in Qld Premier XV squad to play Auckland

Holmes back for Auckland match (Sportography image)Monday, 9 June 2008
World Cup Wallaby and QR Reds prop Greg Holmes has been included in a Queensland squad of 24 to play Auckland in a trial match on the Sunshine Coast on June 18.

Holmes has been sidelined since having a knee operation in mid-April to remove a loose bone fragment.

The Sunnybank prop was included in the squad - a mix of contracted QR Reds and in-form Trinity Premier Rugby players - who will take on an Auckland squad as part of the Kiwi side's preparations for the National Provincial Championship.

Queensland Premier XV coach Damon Emtage said the squad was a good blend of established and promising younger players.

"This is a great opportunity for young players like QAS Reds Academy fullback Aiden Toua (Easts) and wing Luke Morahan (University) and Brothers backrower Andrew Shaw to show how they handle the next step up," Emtage said.

"All of the players chosen have been in consistently good form with their clubs."

The Qld Premier squad is: fullbacks: Jesse Mogg (Norths), Aiden Toua (Academy/Easts); wings: Paul Doneley (Brothers) Luke Morahan (Academy/University); centres: Charlie Fetoai (Reds/Sunnybank), James Harvey (Brothers), Albert Vulli Vulli (Souths); flyhalves Matt Brandon (Easts), Ben Gollings (Sunnybank); halves: Sean Armstrong (Sunnybank), Brendan McKibbin (Brothers); No 8s: Mitch Francis (Gold Coast), Charles Wyllie (Sunshine Coast); backrow: David Croft (Reds/Brothers), Scott Higginbotham (Reds/Wests), Dan Linde (Academy/University), Andrew Shaw (Brothers); locks: Shaun Mackay (University), Will Munsie (Academy/Gold Coast); props: Sam Denny (Souths), Greg Holmes (Reds/Sunnybank), Shon Siemonek (Sunshine Coast); hookers: James Charalambous (Easts), Anthony Ongolea (Souths).
Coach: Damon Emtage. Asst coaches: Paul Carozza, Garrick Morgan.

The squad's first training session is at Ballymore on Wednesday night.

The trial match will be played at Stockland Park, Kawana at 3:15pm on Wednesday, June 18. Admission is free, onsite parking $5.

F

formeropenside

Charalambous is the young Easts hooker who got a run when Jade Ingham picked up an injury. I dont know how serious the injury was, and whether Ingham is available again, but he has not regained a starting place for Easts.

When you consider that there are players off with the Wallabies, Aust A and Aust U-20, thats what is left.

Still no Rodney Blake. Does anyone know if he has left for France or something?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
It's good to see that Aidan Toua has been picked. He was the 2007 Oz Schools fullback and made the U/16 Merit Team in 2006, but was injured earlier this year.

Noddy said:
confirmed. 2 yr contract for Davies. Remember him Lee?
Yeah - thought I talked about him before. Maybe it's on another thread. Oz Schools starter from 2006 who was going to league. Maybe he did and he's back. Good player and fast IIRR. I prefer Toua from last year's team because of his flair but I have seen neither play senior rugby so I will have to take advice from those who have seen them play club rugby.

The Reds must think a lot of Davies to give him a 2 year contract but I hope that it doesn't shut the door on Toua.

spectator said:

Connor - Coach Melrose had Connor on the wing in the 1st U/20 game with Horne at 13. I have a feeling that it 's what he thinks is his best team and that he will give others a starting run against Fiji in Rd.2 and play the Rd.1 team again against England, give or take a bit of tinkering.

Abram - thanks a surprise. I knew he could play in the backrow, but 13 !! It makes him a very handy reserve player for the Reds with Moore going south, if Hardman or Fainga'a are hurt - provided his play as hooker is decent.

F

formeropenside

Lee - Abram has been cut by the Reds, at least at this stage. He did score another try in a defeated side on the weekend though.

I'm told by an old schoolmate of Abram that Abram played a chunk of his schoolboy GPS football in the backs.

If Abram does get another contract, it would have to be as a utility: the hooking spot is served by Hardman, Fainga'a and Hanson.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Any updates on that great Queenslander Morgan Tirinui? Is he staying or leaving.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
dunno, but Caleb Brown is off to the Force for 2 years.

Hope they have a good doctor.

Has he played since the 7s season?

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
formeropenside said:
Charalambous is the young Easts hooker who got a run when Jade Ingham picked up an injury. I dont know how serious the injury was, and whether Ingham is available again, but he has not regained a starting place for Easts.

When you consider that there are players off with the Wallabies, Aust A and Aust U-20, thats what is left.

Charalambous is a very good player who played OZ school a few years back. Considered by many to be ahead of Hansen before he suffered a bad leg injury two years ago. Has been great at club level and should be a good replacement for Hardman when the time comes, so Qld hooking stocks aren't too badly off.

F

formeropenside

spectator said:
formeropenside said:

Charalambous is a very good player who played OZ school a few years back. Considered by many to be ahead of Hansen before he suffered a bad leg injury two years ago. Has been great at club level and should be a good replacement for Hardman when the time comes, so Qld hooking stocks aren't too badly off.

Hell, Queensland has *always* produced good hookers - at the moment we have exported McIsaac and Moore, with Cannon and J.Paul also being expats.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
dunno, but Caleb Brown is off to the Force for 2 years.

Hope they have a good doctor.

Has he played since the 7s season?

He played in the last Reds game vs NSW!

Any updates on that great Queenslander Morgan Tirinui? Is he staying or leaving.

I heard he was going, although it obviously isn't a done deal yet.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
formeropenside said:
Hell, Queensland has *always* produced good hookers - at the moment we have exported McIsaac and Moore, with Cannon and J.Paul also being expats.

The only things Queensland exports are banjos, bananas and beefcake.

F

formeropenside

naza said:
formeropenside said:

Strangely, there's a lot of demand for beefcake in Sydney Town.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
formeropenside said:
naza said:
formeropenside said:

And bananas for that matter...

F

formeropenside

spectator said:
formeropenside said:
naza said:
formeropenside said:

And bananas for that matter...

To be fair, I think the beefcake and banana target two distinct demographics - its not really a "beefcake & bananas fest" so much as beefcake over here, banana-lovers over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.