• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
formeropenside said:
Still no Rodney Blake. Does anyone know if he has left for France or something?

Back with the Pirates in Sydney until he leaves for France, escaped the clutches of those drpQs. Now there's loyalty, going back to his grassroots when he can.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Reds recruit forward trio

Marc Fox, www.brisbanetimes.com.au | July 1, 2008 - 10:29AM

The Queensland Reds have upgraded prop Dayna Edwards and backrowers Poutasi Luafutu and Scott Higginbotham to senior contracts.

The three Reds academy forwards, who all made their Super 14 debuts last season, have each agreed to deals until 2010.

Luafutu is an excellent capture for Queensland. The 20-year-old is a former Queensland under-16 and under-19 player and was a member of the Australian under-19 side which won the world championships in 2006 under coach Phil Mooney.

Meanwhile, NZ-born Edwards earned 12 caps during the 2008 Super 14 season after being spotted during the now-defunct Australian Rugby Championship.

QRU performance manager Ben Whitaker said all three will have important roles to play for the Reds over the next two years.

"Dayna only came into the professional system at the start of the year but improved so rapidly that by mid-season selectors were preferring him to Rodney Blake at tighthead prop. With the benefit of an intensive off-season athletic training program he should be in a position to play a very important role for the Reds in 2009," Whitaker said.

"Tasi put real pressure on David Croft during the year at open side flanker and finished the season at blindside flanker when John Roe was injured, while Scotty Higginbotham made a big impact coming mainly off the bench - starting with that memorable hit on Bryan Habana only a couple of minutes into his first Super 14 match."

F

formeropenside

fatprop said:
The Queensland Reds have upgraded prop Dayna Edwards and backrowers Poutasi Luafutu and Scott Higginbotham to senior contracts.

The three Reds academy forwards, who all made their Super 14 debuts last season, have each agreed to deals until 2010.

Thats a good start. We still need a real reserve prop off the bench though. Coutts is not up to scrumtime, Hunt appears to be regularly injured, and Daley is 108kg.

As to Higginbotham and Luafutu: thats a fair backrow if Houston keeps improving. Still needs a fetcher though.

F

formeropenside

Ok, running through the Reds contract list (and any help Noddy can give on contract lengths etc is appreciated)

2008 roster

Abram (hooker/backrow) - cut, now playing wing and centre for Wests. Spot taken by Hanson.
Afu (lock/backrow) - rookie contract, now playing for Tonga
Avei (hooker/backrow) - cut, rumors about Japan. Digby's nephew. Spot probably replaced by S. Fainga'a
Barnes (10 or 12) - on contract.
Blake (THP) - gone to France. Spot filled by Dayna Edwards.
Caleb Brown (wing, injured) - gone to Farce. Spot taken by Blair Connor.
Cooper (10 or 12) - resigned contract, 2 or 3 years.
Cordingley (halfback) - gone back to Grenoble. Spot filled by Ben Lucas.
Coutts - (prop) - unknown. Playing for Souths.
Croft (openside) - retired. Luafutu as cover?
Daley (prop) - rookie contract for 2008. Unknown.
Fetoia (centre) - unknown. Playing for Sunnybank. re-signed until 2010.
Genia (halfback) - unknown.
AJ Gilbert (backrow) - released. Leapfrogged by Luafutu and Higginbotham in any event.
Hardman (hooker) - still has a year to run on contract
Holmes (LHP)- still has a year to run on contract
Horwill (lock) - has a year or two on contract
Houston (no8) - has a year on contract; may have an option to leave
Van Humphries (lock) - has a year on contract but may have an option to leave
Hunt (prop) - off contract; unknown
Hynes (utility back) - two years on contract
Digby Ioane (wing) - one year on contract
LoJo (centre) - off to Italy. Cover is A. Fainga'a?
Latham (fullback, legend) - off to UK (thanks ARU)
MMM (lock/blindside) - on contract, 1 year left?
Moore (hooker) - off to Brumbies (we had too many hookers anyway)
Ed O'D (lock) - gone to Ulster (Simmons upgrade from rookie contract as cover, or Byrnes?)
Roe (blindside/no8) - has a year on contract; strong rumors of retirement. Higginbotham as cover?
Schif (fullback) - off to Ulster
Siale (centre) - off contract, still playing for Uni in Brisbane Premier Grade
Simmons (lock) - rookie contract for 08, signed until 2010
Turunui (centre) - option on contract, will depend on ARU top-up apparently
Va'aulu (wing) - unknown re-signed until 2010
Veratau (outisde back) - contract expired, unlikely to be renewed. Rod Davies to fill spot?
Walker (utility back) - contract expired, still carving up for Easts in Brisbane club rugby. Unlikely to turn up in 09 though. Golden Oldies teams may be seeking his phone number.

Signings:

Lucas, Fainga'a twins, Blair Connor, Simmons, Hanson, Higginbotham, Edwards, Luafutu, Rod Davies. Probably more I missed. Adam Byrnes?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
pretty sure Daley is contracted for another year or two. It was a multi year deal which included academy and rookie upgrades

S

Spook

Was Daly the THP for the U20s? If so, he is probably the best young scrummager I've seen at that age group for Oz. He handled the Poms who pasted the Boks tight5.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Apparently you're coming up here playing our A team as a pre-season for us? Any information?

(Of course "our" means Munster's. Don't ask daft questions...)

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Spook said:
Was Daly the THP for the U20s? If so, he is probably the best young scrummager I've seen at that age group for Oz. He handled the Poms who pasted the Boks tight5.

No, I think that Daly is the NSW Daley who played off the bench for the Tahs early in the season.

F

formeropenside

QR Reds re-sign two backs, recruit another

Wednesday, 2 July 2008

The QR Reds have re-signed exciting young backs Brando Va'aulu and Charlie Fetoai and recruited 19 year old former Australian schoolboy wing/fullback Rod Davies from the Brisbane Broncos, all on two year deals.

Both New Zealand-born 21-year olds, centre Fetoai and wing Va'aulu made their Reds debuts in 2007 and between them have racked up more than 30 Investec Super 14 appearances.

Fetoai captained the Queensland Premier XV in last month's successful trial game against Auckland, while departing Reds fullback Chris Latham has tipped Va'aulu as a player to watch and a potential future fullback.

Davies, 19, is returning to rugby after two seasons with the Brisbane Broncos, who signed him straight out of school after he had played fullback in the same Australian Schools backline as Quade Cooper and Kurtley Beale in 2006.

The former Ipswich Grammar School product, who hails from Rockhampton in central Queensland where he mainly played rugby league, said he enjoyed his time with the Broncos but held fond memories of his rugby experience as a member of the ARU's National Talent Squad.

"They (the NTS) really looked after me and I always knew I'd find myself back in Union," he said.

Davies was the GPS 100m Sprint Champion in his last year of school and his pace will be a real asset under the Reds expansive approach to the game.

"All three players are typical of the new generation QR Reds - fast, tough and skilful, with all round athletic ability," said QRU Performance Rugby Manager Ben Whitaker.

Post above updated.

EDIT:

And a bit more from SMH:

The Reds, who have five positions left to fill on their roster for 2008, have Sydney University tight-head Laurie Weeks, 22, in their sights to replace France-bound Rodney Blake.

They have yet to find a successor to veteran flanker David Croft but have signed Tasi Luafutu, who has started at No.7, and are chasing former Waratah Lei Tomiki, who is contracted to Castres in France.

Former Australian U19 flanker AJ Gilbert has been released while the Reds are interested in NSW understudy Beau Robinson and Western Force back-rower Matt Hodgson if they could be released from their current Super 14 contracts.

I suppose it would be nice to bring Hodgson home (he's a Queenslander isnt he?), but why would the Force release him? And why would we want Beau R?

Any Sydneysider (ie LG) know anything about Weeks?

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Wonder whether Turinui and Siale will be back in 2009? If not, hope Ben Tapuai is under consideration, although I guess young Anthony Fainga is a 12 of some repute (haven't seen him play though).

As for flankers, would prefer Coridas to both Robinson and Hodgson if we're going interstate. Pity for Gilbert, not sure if he got a good enough chance to show his ability?

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
formeropenside said:

If he were any good I'd be boring you all to death with the hype.

He's nothing to get excited about. Has improved a fair bit since cracking 1st grade and put on quite a bit of pork. Would be 110 kgs I reckon. Not a dominant scrummager. Mobile enough and has a good work rate but not a dynamic athlete.

Normally you pick guys for your provincial team you think can go on to play test footy. You don't like to write off a 22 year old prop but I just don't see him being anything better than a fringe S14 player at this stage.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Yeah, good player no doubt, but very similar style to Luafutu who has just been signed.

So judging by all the comments in this topic confirmed 2009 Reds are:

Props: Edwards, Holmes, Daley
Hookers: Hardman, Fainga, Hanson
Locks: Horwill, Simmons, Byrne, Humphries
Backrow: Houston, Luafutu, Higginbotham
Halfbacks: Lucas, Genia
Inside backs: Cooper, Barnes,
Centres/Wings : Fetoai, Fainga, Connor, Ioane
Wing/Fullback: Hynes, Vaalu, Davies

Questionmarks: Turinui, Roe, Hunt, Coutts.

With a further five spots to confirm. What is the squad number, 33?

Does that look about right? Couple of gaps to fill so hope the five are well chosen.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
From the top of my head, you missed 3M (I believe is still contracted) and Roe (still contracted, but chance of retirement).

T

TOCC

Daley was very good at the JWC

i like a starting side of

1. Edwards
2. Hardman
3. Holmes
4. Horwill
5. Mcmenimen
6. Roe
7. Luafutu
8. Houston
9. Lucas
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Barnes
13. Fetoia
14. Va'alu
15. Hynes

or you could also try Ioane at outside centre

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Digby is a winger who still needs to work on catching and passing skills but no denying his pace and power. Hynes deserves first crack at fullback but Barnes might get called upon a bit to drop back from a kicking perspective. Would favour Morgs at 13 if he stays.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
A few questions:
1. Has the signing of Hanson been officially annoucned anywhere?
2. Is Afu still contracted?
3. Is Swanopoel (and I know I spelt it wrong) going to be half back cover in the academy?
4. Is Tupai and Toua 12/13 and 15 cover in the academy?

If 3 and 4 are right, then the Reds may be fine with only around 30 contracted players (including Weeks, another prop or back, Roe, Van Humphries, Turinuri and another number 7, or replacements thereof), assuming they can dig up a half back if needed. Lucas and Barnes cover 10; Fainga'a, Fetoai and Tupai cover 12; Fainga'a, Fetoai and Connor cover 13. Not great cover I know (for Cooper / Barnes / Turinuri) - but they are mostly young players with potential...if they Reds are really lucky, they might unearth a gem.

Most interesting will be the tussel for 15 over the next few years - Davies, Hynes, Va'aulu and Toua, and all are rather quick.

T

TOCC

1. Hanson has signed with the Reds http://www.redsrugby.com.au/reds/reds.rugby/page/66130/section/40199
2. Apparently Josh Afu has pledged to play for Tonga, so that means he is not contracted anymore
3. currently the Reds dont have any number 9's in the Reds academy, hence Lucas switching to halfback
4. Toua and Tupai were both in the Reds Academy in 2008, dont know if they will be in 2009 though

The Reds have 5 positions left in there squad, not sure if thats including Turinui and Humphries who the Reds are still waiting to hear from. I would rather see Turinui re-sign, but i dont think player potential wise he would be a big loss. His leadership and brains would be a massive loss though.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
formeropenside said:
The Reds, who have five positions left to fill on their roster for 2008, have Sydney University tight-head Laurie Weeks, 22, in their sights to replace France-bound Rodney Blake.

FOS, Lee's not the only person in Sydney who follows rugby you know. Laurie's a Joeboy who played Australian Schoolboys some six or seven years ago. He initially played grade for Randwick before moving over to Sydney Uni, the all-time greats in poaching (Waugh, Afeaki, Egan, any talented private schoolboy). Would you believe he comes from the same junior club as Rodney, Wests Junior Rugby at Concord. Laurie has the potential to become a good, hard rep prop.

Status
Not open for further replies.