• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

NCT

Herbert Moran (7)
Has it ever been said previously that it's a rotating thing, or is that a new direction? I thought taking a couple of matches out of BNE, and the broader Reds to Regions program, was one of the best things the Reds were doing. He seemed a big advocate, but was Thorn properly driving it? Hopefully it doesn't die a slow death.
Agree on the region's but Townsville didn't seem to be successful. Maybe they marketed it poorly, rugby marketing hasn't been great. Possibly other locations should be trialled as well - Cairns, Mackay etc, although TV facilities might be the issue.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Has it ever been said previously that it's a rotating thing, or is that a new direction? I thought taking a couple of matches out of BNE, and the broader Reds to Regions program, was one of the best things the Reds were doing. He seemed a big advocate, but was Thorn properly driving it? Hopefully it doesn't die a slow death.
They've been pretty vocal about continuing reds to region and embracing Townsville, there is a limited number of games though. With 2 games up there last year I don't think it's that unreasonable that they've kept them in Brisbane this year, particularly when they're doing a big membership push ahead of the lions. It's definitely not helped by the fact that we've only had 1 test match in two years in Brisbane.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Good to see we have the rebels up in Brisbane this year… I was rather annoyed when Carter Gordon boot beat JOC (James O'Connor) boot in that awesome game of the year only to find it was only time we played the Rebs this year…

But what’s up with the schedule…. Do we rotate the home and away series now amongst the other Aussie teams… only see the brumbies on there once

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

First I’ve heard that.

I suspect Reds 2 Régions Will continue. Kiss is a Bundy boy so he gets régions I’m sure.

Maybe a trial goes regionally? Although they also need to use Ballymore to get money too.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
First I’ve heard that.

I suspect Reds 2 Régions Will continue. Kiss is a Bundy boy so he gets régions I’m sure.

Maybe a trial goes regionally? Although they also need to use Ballymore to get money too.
At the very least, we should get the Festival of Rugby again somewhere regional?

Nice to see your French coming along before the WC kicks off too ;)

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
First I’ve heard that.

Kiss said in an interview that the Reds2Regions will continue

Last edited:

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
At the very least, we should get the Festival of Rugby again somewhere regional?

Nice to see your French coming along before the WC kicks off too ;)
I’d assume (Hope) Festival of Rugby will continue in Roma. Santos was already a sponsor of the Roma 7s before the Festival of a rugby started. The just re-badged the Roma 7s a bit to put it all together.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I’d assume (Hope) Festival of Rugby will continue in Roma. Santos was already a sponsor of the Roma 7s before the Festival of a rugby started. The just re-badged the Roma 7s a bit to put it all together.
It alternates between a QLD and NSW location, but I don't think Roma (and Narrabri, where it was held this year) were the only locations they were to be held? Could be wrong, but that was my impression.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yes - so far it’s been Narrabri twice & Roma once because both of those centres already had a 7s comp at the start of Feb that were already sponsored by Santos.

Edit: actually I’m not 100% sure Narrabri already had a 7s carnival, but they’ve hosted twice and I remember speaking to the organisers of Roma 7s in the first year and they already new they would be hosting the next year and that there was a plan to alternate it between the two locations.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Wasn't Ballymore meant to be the high performance centre for women's rectangular sports in Australia?
Nah…

It was marketed as the home base of the Wallaroos. The ‘women’s’ aspect has been promoted further with the Roars W-League team signing to play matches there from next year but It won’t be their training base.

Football QLD are still chasing their own home base and training facility, for men and women.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Reg on the money with Tim Ryan getting picked up. Is this as a training squad/EPS thing or straight up full time squad?

Seems to be EPS type thing except for HMP who is in the main squad.

All five featured heavily for the Australian side during this year’s U20 World Championships in South Africa and will join the Reds at Ballymore in 2024, with McLaughlin-Phillips part of the full-time squad.

JRugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yes - so far it’s been Narrabri twice & Roma once because both of those centres already had a 7s comp at the start of Feb that were already sponsored by Santos.

Edit: actually I’m not 100% sure Narrabri already had a 7s carnival, but they’ve hosted twice and I remember speaking to the organisers of Roma 7s in the first year and they already new they would be hosting the next year and that there was a plan to alternate it between the two locations.
Santos have major sites in both Narrabri and Roma - hence the location. The Roma 7s has coincidently always been played early in the year and aligned well in 2022 (and I'd imagine it will be aligned in 2024 as well).

No 7s tournament at the 2023 Narrabri event other than some QLD v NSW v Barbarians womens stuff.

Rusted

Allen Oxlade (6)
Good reward for these up and coming players. Unbelievable that Trevor King was playing Prems at tighthead straight out of school and will still qualify for U20's until 2025