• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
The London Irish Reds? I wonder if you'll pick up any ex-LI players too or have they all been allocated out.

Mostly scraps left from the Not-Nots. Dying in a RWC year means there's a few extra spots on offer.

Still almost certain to be a few NH faces on shorter term contracts out till late November that could be convinced to come to Aus for a jaunt: Freddie Burns didn't cover himself in glory but it shows Europeans there's room if you're good enough and looking for a bit of a lifestyle change rather than purely looking at cash.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The intern must have forgotten to publish that article last week, it references Craig and Ryan going head to head in the minor semi final this weekend. I had to quickly double check I wasn't going crazy and the game itself had in fact been played.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Mostly scraps left from the Not-Nots. Dying in a RWC year means there's a few extra spots on offer.

Still almost certain to be a few NH faces on shorter term contracts out till late November that could be convinced to come to Aus for a jaunt: Freddie Burns didn't cover himself in glory but it shows Europeans there's room if you're good enough and looking for a bit of a lifestyle change rather than purely looking at cash.
I think there may have been a few who signed up short term deals to make sure they had something going, may end up back on the market and open to offers for 2024 or 2025.

Slayer!

Allen Oxlade (6)
Agree on the region's but Townsville didn't seem to be successful. Maybe they marketed it poorly, rugby marketing hasn't been great. Possibly other locations should be trialled as well - Cairns, Mackay etc, although TV facilities might be the issue.
It had the absolute shit marketed out of it. I hear Queensland Government kicked in specifically on marketing and the council did a heap as well off their own bat. I ave some old rugby mates there and there was advertising everywhere - bus stops, on the radio etc.
Townsville people just didn't want to go, which is strange because there are far more rugby players than league players there (army skews it big time).

Slayer!

Allen Oxlade (6)
Nah…

It was marketed as the home base of the Wallaroos. The ‘women’s’ aspect has been promoted further with the Roars W-League team signing to play matches there from next year but It won’t be their training base.

Football QLD are still chasing their own home base and training facility, for men and women.
Football Queensland is not the Roar. In fact, FQ hate the Roar and would like them to fold. And they wonder why they can't get any Government funding?
The Roar are by all accounts happily ensconced at Ballymore and but for the lack of floodlights would be playing everything there.

Slayer!

Allen Oxlade (6)
Wasn't Ballymore meant to be the high performance centre for women's rectangular sports in Australia?
Except the Matildas based themselves in Brisbane! Jamaica was banned at the $100m "Home of the Matildas" in Victoria!
Walked past Ballymore the other day and there were soccer goals and markings up on the new back field - FIFA base camp?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Except the Matildas based themselves in Brisbane! Jamaica was banned at the $100m "Home of the Matildas" in Victoria!
Walked past Ballymore the other day and there were soccer goals and markings up on the new back field - FIFA base camp?

It was a back up training field for the World Cup after they fooked up Perry Park upgrades.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Football Queensland is not the Roar. In fact, FQ hate the Roar and would like them to fold. And they wonder why they can't get any Government funding?
The Roar are by all accounts happily ensconced at Ballymore and but for the lack of floodlights would be playing everything there.
I didn’t say Football Queensland was the Roar.

my point was that Football QLD is campaigning for their own administrative/training facilities regardless of what the Roar are doing

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Lopeti Faifua gone to the Force.Luke Jones has retired. Kenyan Taukipulu seeming dropped from the squad this year for whatever reason.

Surely Reds are due for a couple of new lock signings? Upfield and Vest aren’t Super Rugby quality locks IMO, and Wilson Blyth hasn’t strung enough games together yet to prove his position.

Smith and A. Blyth are the only two Super Rugby level locks Reds have signed currently.

Last edited:

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Lopeti Faifua gone to the Force.Luke Jones has retired. Kenyan Taukipulu seeming dropped from the squad this year for whatever reason.

Surely Reds are due for a couple of new lock signings? Upfield and Vest aren’t Super Rugby quality locks IMO, and Wilson Blyth hasn’t strung enough games together yet to prove his position.

Smith and A. Blyth are the only two Super Rugby level locks Reds have signed currently.

Was thinking the same thing.

Such a difficult position to recruit. Maybe Kiss got some Northern Hemisphere tall timber coming soon.

FWIW Kenyan is a backrower - unsure if he’s ever played lock.

The Marketing Pigeon

Herbert Moran (7)
Any word on Louis Lynagh’s contract status - out of the England set up and eligible could be a great pick up for wing/fullback depth.
Really wondering what lock options are out there also - wouldn’t be mad about drafting in a non eligible option considering our current locks aren’t up to top level quality