• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
The Reds hold the most mystery to me.

Think I know what to expect from all the other sides but the Reds have young talent but have lost talent. They have players we are waiting to see take the step and a new coach who tbf hasn’t been a world beater but definitely knows what he’s doing.

In reality what is a good result if you’re a fan? Finals a minimum? Top 4 exceptional?

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
The Reds hold the most mystery to me.

Think I know what to expect from all the other sides but the Reds have young talent but have lost talent. They have players we are waiting to see take the step and a new coach who tbf hasn’t been a world beater but definitely knows what he’s doing.

In reality what is a good result if you’re a fan? Finals a minimum? Top 4 exceptional?
That's probably about right for results, but first year of a new coach will always be looked at slightly differently, so there will be a bit of leeway in results if there's a clear vision and progression. Finals still a must though, given it's more than half the comp.

As far as year on year talent changes go there's not a lot of losses when you dig into it - Tupou, Hoopert and Jones didn't play a single minute last year, Faifua only got significant minutes in 2 games and Zander was well below the level required. Daugunu the only real year on year loss and even then his form throughout the season was patchy and he is well covered within the squad.

Just as an aside, I've been really impressed with Toomaga-Allen on socials since he arrived, seems like a lovely bloke and really keen to put the work in. That and the fact that he showed up from the challenger series last year, earlier than he probably would've been required, makes me really excited to see what he can do and how he slots in this year.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
What’s that supposed to mean
Sorry mate - was just having a cheeky dig.

I believe there is a Christmas tale of some desription (maybe Scrooge??) where lumps of coal are the Christmas gift of choice for people with no festive spirit.

Edit: in fact Dr Google tells me lumps of coal were traditionally what Santa left the naughty kids

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
So what’s everyone’s thoughts for this season?

I know that there is an overarching sense of doom and gloom in Australian rugby but personally January is always a good time to be (cautiously) optimistic. For the Reds there seems to be plenty of reason to feel we will do better than last year.

Here are my key positives -

1. Front Row - big tick. Last year we lost Tupou, Hoopert & Nasser before we started. Nonggorr was coming off an injury interrupted year. This year we’ve brought in Toomaga-Allen & Hodgman, Nasser is back fit and Faessler and Nonggorr have played test rugby. We’ve also got a couple of very promising youngsters in De Lutiis & Craig (although I don’t expect to see much of them this year). We have depth at prop with Ravi & Fa’agase. Last year our scrum became a real weakness. This year it should be significantly improved and all of these guys can make an impact around the field. I think the changes to the Front row are the most significant on field change and I expect them to generate an immediate return.

2. Points to prove - I think this can be an overrated concept at times. Not sure how many pro players really need extra motivation. But, sometimes they do need a change. Harry Wilson has been superb for Qld but successive Wallabies coaches have passed him over. I’ve no doubt the new coaching regime has him very focused on finding another 10%. McReight seems the new Hooper. For all the good he does there is already a chorus that he is too small. Can he add some brawn & power without sacrificing his speed. Liam Wright has had a rotten run with injury. He is at risk of dropping too far behind others but another new regime should clean the slate. He would tick a lot of boxes for the Wallabies (although potentially more at 7). Uru is the guy who has had to mostly fill the role of lock or utility whilst still trying to push his own credentials. Would add some impact to the backrow. As good as our backrow has been, all four guys are at the right age and with experience under their belt that they should, hopefully, be able to find more in their game.

3. New Coaching set up - personally I think Thorn deserves enormous credit for some of the changes he brought to the Reds. But last year seems to have been a year to many. Les Kiss has the experience to make a real difference to a team with tons of potential but falling short on execution. Time will tell but I am hoping Kiss can provide the finishing touches like McKenzie did for the squad Phil Mooney brought together.

4. Improved depth/experience - depth makes or breaks Super Rugby seasons. No one gets through unscathed. The Reds best 23 on paper looks pretty strong - but it is unlikely that we’ll see them on the field more than once or twice. Whilst Thorn/Cordingly were criticised for some key exits, the Reds retention has largely been very good. Over the last 2 seasons guys like Blake, Asiata, Vest, Anderson, Thomas, Creighton, Lynagh, Annan & Grealy have been toiling away, learning their craft. Guys like Smith & Flook have gone from rookies to consistent performers. I don’t think you can overstate the value of 12 months additional experience in a squad that is still relatively young.

5. Competition in the backs - there have been issues with injury and some patchy form at times but O’Connor, Paisami, Flook, Petaia & Campbell is a quality group of players. Vunivalu seems to have been one of the few successes of the Jones debacle. Henry needs some time injury free but seems capable at Super level. The Reds have a quality backline in there. If the forwards and halves do their job the outside backs should be able to match anyone and better most.

That’s my take. Interested to hear others view.

Who will be the break out this year?
A really good overview TSR. Will try to do something similar for the Brumbies. Hope you log into the Brumbies thread and have a read.

On the Reds, I think the critical question will be how Les Kiss performs, or has the team performing.

Reactions: TSR

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I imagine a new coach and training style is a great change up for most of the blokes.

I've always been a Thorn supporter, but it was clear from his style that after a couple of seasons, his regime would have been hard to cop for a couple of players.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
A family member who is an office bearer of a country rugby region tried yesterday to arrange for a corporate box & wanted to know the booking price.
The Reds reception put him onto TicketTek, who in turn were not able to provide him with any information as to bookings, for corporate boxes or for individual admission. He was particularly interested in the Reds/Waratah game, starting the season.
He is quite appalled that he couldn't make any progress with his enquiry & phoned me. I said I'd send out a request for info from other Reds rugby supporters.
Can anyone advise why tickets are not yet available for a game not that far off?

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
A family member who is an office bearer of a country rugby region tried yesterday to arrange for a corporate box & wanted to know the booking price.
The Reds reception put him onto TicketTek, who in turn were not able to provide him with any information as to bookings, for corporate boxes or for individual admission. He was particularly interested in the Reds/Waratah game, starting the season.
He is quite appalled that he couldn't make any progress with his enquiry & phoned me. I said I'd send out a request for info from other Reds rugby supporters.
Can anyone advise why tickets are not yet available for a game not that far off?
Couldn't tell you why or speak to corporate hospitality specifically, but it seems pretty standard for Suncorp - Broncos and Dolphins opening games a couple of weeks later are also not on sale yet. Only tickets for the Roar (who are currently in season) are available for that period at the moment. Might be something to do with membership sales I guess?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Spamnoodle

Sydney Middleton (9)
Maybe enquire through the Suncorp Stadium website?

Reds Rick

Stan Wickham (3)
Hi guys, first time poster and long time reader here. Saw on LinkedIn a few days ago that the QRU/Reds are advertising for a high performance manager to drive the women’s side of the game - https://www.sportspeople.com.au/jobs/79590-womens-high-performance-manager-queensland-reds

Seems like some real ambition to make the Qld women’s program a real powerhouse which is great to see. Anyone have any sense that this is something they’re planning to do for the men’s side as well?

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hi guys, first time poster and long time reader here. Saw on LinkedIn a few days ago that the QRU/Reds are advertising for a high performance manager to drive the women’s side of the game - https://www.sportspeople.com.au/jobs/79590-womens-high-performance-manager-queensland-reds

Seems like some real ambition to make the Qld women’s program a real powerhouse which is great to see. Anyone have any sense that this is something they’re planning to do for the men’s side as well?
Welcome to the forum and great pickup. It's good to see more investment in the professional structures around the women's game at the state level..

As far as a men's high performance manager goes, there was some talk around someone like Pat Howard coming in when the last coaching change happened (possibly on a joint ticket with Heenan as head coach), but I haven't heard much since. For the most part though this looks like a lot of what Cordingley's job covers - coach selection, list management, professional pathways etc. Between him and a few others in the pathways like Paul Carozza it is probably covered for the most part on the men's side, adding a full time high performance manager for the women's program should help that to. Anything beyond what we've got on the men's side might be a bit dependent on how national centralisation/alignment shakes out.

Putmeoncoach

Herbert Moran (7)

I believe Reg Tayler has been in this role the past few years? However, it was 7s dominant. He must be moving onto something else or an expansion of the role.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Lots of media out of the Reds this week.

Les Kiss on 4BC:

Zane Hilton interview:

Jordan Petaia:

and Peni Ravai over at rugby.com.au:

Really great to hear from Les Kiss in particular. I'm still a bit worried about how he's going to get our discipline right, but I've been impressed by him every time I've heard from him. Hopefully he can keep that going when they take the field.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
It would be nice to fix the discipline, has anyone been dropped due to bad discipline in the past? There does not seem to be any consequences, maybe a stronger squad allows for players to feel like they will be benched if they don't think.

Reds Rick

Stan Wickham (3)
Really great to hear from Les Kiss in particular. I'm still a bit worried about how he's going to get our discipline right, but I've been impressed by him every time I've heard from him. Hopefully he can keep that going when they take the field.
Agree, got to say am pretty excited about the upcoming season. Cautiously optimistic..