• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Just needs white shorts!!!

The training shirts with Rusty on the front look great. Canterbury have done a fantastic job this year.

The Engine Room

Ward Prentice (10)
No whispers that I've heard but, given they're back training, I'm sure someone has a scoop.

You wouldn't think HMP will get a run until later in the season / injuries, as he's undoubtedly bottom of the pecking order. We saw last season that JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) really is a 12 who was shoehorned into 10, but we've got several other strong options at 12/13. Creighton came into his own at the back end of last year for both Reds and Brothers. Similarly, we saw that Lynagh is absolutely up to it, but he's also coming off the back of an injury.

As you say, a lottery. Good problem to have.
I think Harry M-P is a wonderful talent with great attacking abilities (which the Reds need) and will shine when given an opportunity. Creighton is solid but I think has a way to go in the position; more time playing in Prems would go along way to help that rather than sitting on the bench. Lynagh has a lovely kicking game but lacks attacking flair and his defense is his Achilles heel. JOC (James O'Connor) brings experience and maturity to the position but would like to see Les bring the young guns in earlier rather than later. It is going to be a selection headache I'm sure . In Les we trust.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I'm trying not to get too excited to soon, but the more I hear from and about Les Kiss and the coaching team the better I feel going into this season:

There's absolutely going to be an adjustment period and we can't expect it'll all be smooth sailing from the start of the season, but it does feel like we're on the right track with his appointment as head coach.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Speaking of Thorn, is he still in Brisbane? He was taking a break from coaching, but he has a wealth of knowledge that would be an asset to a club or school, even on a consultancy basis.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Speaking of Thorn, is he still in Brisbane? He was taking a break from coaching, but he has a wealth of knowledge that would be an asset to a club or school, even on a consultancy basis.
I haven't heard anything but I assume so, the city is very much home for him, even before his stint with the Reds. I know all the talk at the time was some sort of role in pathways or under 20s, hopefully we see something like that soon. It was where he did his best work and I think he's just about the perfect coach for guiding 19/20 year old players into professionalism.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Grey is looking to move on soon at the national level. I wasn't a fan when he first took over, but I warmed to him over time and last ears side were definitely an improvement over the rest of his tenure. His name keeps coming up when there's a head coach vacancy though, so I expect this might be his last year with the under 20s. Could be a good time to get Thorn involved and transition the management.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
To be honest I hate the white striped sleeves and white shorts. The rich Maroon Jersey with the navy shorts is a great look, and unique in world rugby. It bothers me that we keep trying to innovate away from it (as much as I like canterbury kit generally).

Wilson

David Codey (61)
have heard maybe Jeffrey Toomaga-Allen may have suffered a bad injury. With De Lutiis missing trials it may lead us a little short. No doubt there is some club talent being brought in. Perhaps another three pronged name young prop...
Any more word on this? He looked in good nick and spirits in the media day clips they've just been sharing on social media.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
have heard maybe Jeffrey Toomaga-Allen may have suffered a bad injury. With De Lutiis missing trials it may lead us a little short. No doubt there is some club talent being brought in. Perhaps another three pronged name young prop...
Given the developments in Melbourne this week, lets try to get Eloff to the Reds to help out with injuries and help ease their finances. Would Gordon also be someone they would sell to get money?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Given the developments in Melbourne this week, lets try to get Eloff to the Reds to help out with injuries and help ease their finances. Would Gordon also be someone they would sell to get money?
I'm not particularly interested in carving the Rebels up for parts will they're still breathing. Certainly we should be talking to players like Eloff for next year (when he's off contract), but I don't think it serves us in the long run to look at their list like a catalogue we can pick and choose from as we please. Either it pisses off the player and we lose the chance to sign them down the track or it destabilizes the Rebels further, and the competition along with them.

Anything that happens there with player movement will need to come from them looking for help and ideally be managed by RA in such a way as to make sure there's still a team to save.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
It’s far too early, and offensive to the fans to be posing those ideas at the moment. Let’s just see how 2024 plays out because any potential fallout is going to have wider ramifications than just Victoria anyway.

didn’t stop the warratahs swooping on kellaway…

Which is surprising, I thought they were broke too (guess the NSW powerbrokers always going to put their state interests first when it comes to pillaging wallaby talent with RA top ups)

Wilson

David Codey (61)
didn’t stop the warratahs swooping on kellaway…

Which is surprising, I thought they were broke too (guess the NSW powerbrokers always going to put their state interests first when it comes to pillaging wallaby talent with RA top ups)
By all reports that was in the works well before any of this happened, with talks starting before they even lost Nawaqanitawase. As much as I love an opportunity shit on the tahs, this isn't it.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
By all reports that was in the works well before any of this happened, with talks starting before they even lost Nawaqanitawase. As much as I love an opportunity shit on the tahs, this isn't it.
But it would be interesting to know where the money is coming from given their current debt of something more than $5m.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
But it would be interesting to know where the money is coming from given their current debt of something more than $5m.
Waratahs finances isnt relevant to this thread, and there finances are also available publicly so not sure there this $5million figure came from anyway.

Back to Reds

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I'm not particularly interested in carving the Rebels up for parts will they're still breathing. Certainly we should be talking to players like Eloff for next year (when he's off contract), but I don't think it serves us in the long run to look at their list like a catalogue we can pick and choose from as we please. Either it pisses off the player and we lose the chance to sign them down the track or it destabilizes the Rebels further, and the competition along with them.

Anything that happens there with player movement will need to come from them looking for help and ideally be managed by RA in such a way as to make sure there's still a team to save.
I don't like the idea of poaching players while their team is still playing, but what I will hate more is if the Reds sit back on moral grounds and we miss out on top line players because other teams sign them up.