• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

R12: Waratahs vs Rebels - Saturday 13 May

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Rebels need to figure out how to maintain the rage. They start well and just slowly fade through the game. Gordon & Kellaway were good. The bench was really disappointing for the Rebels and allowed the Tahs to close it out.

Rebels v Highlanders can be a fun one. You can definitely score on them but if Gordon is out who starts at 10? Hodge?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
How'd Uelese go with a rare start? Does he deserve a 2nd go or Mafi to start?

edit: Jake Gordon's lovely try looks like losing Kemeny has hurt our lineout. Ekausi looked miserable in the air.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Also just watched the 1st half highlights (not gonna watch the 2nd) and didn't realise Monty's try was essentially a solo effort from Carter to run half the field. Kid goes well.

edit: jesus christ Monty. Did you have money on the 'Tahs or something.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
How'd Uelese go with a rare start? Does he deserve a 2nd go or Mafi to start?

edit: Jake Gordon's lovely try looks like losing Kemeny has hurt our lineout. Ekausi looked miserable in the air.

Uelese was pretty good. The lineout certainly performed better in the first half than the second. Holloway picked them apart in the second half.

The Rebels reserve scrum also got demolished.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
amazing that the Tahs can play quite shit and grind out wins

the pigs set piece and quality defence won the game

the Donaldson love crush is interesting, he kicks well, makes one dummy and he is a genius?

We are still to create a backline move that isn't a crash ball set up for the next phase

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My take on the game was fairly similar to a lot of those in the thread.

The Waratahs were lucky to be in it at half time. The Rebels blew several clear try-scoring opportunities. The two stops close to the line and then holding up Canham over the line were some great defence by the Tahs.

I don't think Monty Ioane would have scored on both balls he dropped but I think the second of them was probable. Pretty poor hands from him.

The two penalty tries the Rebels gave away were really poor. If you're going to infringe in the maul then you need to do it much sooner. Both of them were blatant and were done when it was clear that a try was about to be scored. At some point you just need to accept that the try is going to happen and not compound it with a yellow card.

The Tahs fought back into the game well in the first half and then turned the screws in the second. It felt like the momentum really shifted and the result was fairly assured even when the scores were still pretty close with about 20 minutes or so to go.

The Tahs set piece was excellent and ultimately the biggest difference in the game.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
At the opposite end of the spectrum is anyone getting bored with never ending advantage?
The advantages have been noticeably shorter this year, particular in the red zone which seemed to be never-ending until a try or an error. That hasn't been the case this season - observed most recently in the final stanza of Chiefs v Reds.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The advantages have been noticeably shorter this year, particular in the red zone which seemed to be never-ending until a try or an error. That hasn't been the case this season - observed most recently in the final stanza of Chiefs v Reds.

I was just about to add... credit to Williams for not dragging out the advantage forever when the Chiefs had two penalty advantages in the dying moments of that game.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I'd love to see the 3 phase advantage rule that was used in some of the post seasons trials last year get more of a run. Less dead rugby and a real incentive for teams to immediately chance their hand when they're playing with advantage.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Down on the sideline after the game, Matt Gibbon came across to talk to a group who pretty clearly seemed to be his parents and sibling.

His Dad and sister were both wearing Tahs gear which was great :p
Was family, but not his dad and sister. Had a chat with him after them, he was guttered with the result and know they now they need to win 3 with bonus points.

I thought the Tahs scrum was very lucky to get the calls they did, otherwise there set piece stood up. I think it was the first 2 penalties they received in the scrum that there TH had a knee and elbow on the ground. Ref on the other side and touch judge not willing to make a call.

I agree the Tahs deserved to win, with stats favoring the Rebels so heavily it's a disgrace that the margin was as big as it was. I was annoyed when Foote was given a contract extension earlier in the year, I am even more pissed off about it now. No coach with such a big loosing record should be re hired mid season.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Holloway got it, at least according to Stan.

My recollection is that when they first put it up on the screen it was Holloway leading and then Gordon went past him. I agree that Stan named Holloway as MOTM.

Either is fine in my view. Both very strong performances.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Uelese was pretty good. The lineout certainly performed better in the first half than the second. Holloway picked them apart in the second half.

The Rebels reserve scrum also got demolished.

How did Hosea go at attacking the Tahs lineout? Its something that he has smashed in the last few games and has been a real Rebels strength.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
How did Hosea go at attacking the Tahs lineout? Its something that he has smashed in the last few games and has been a real Rebels strength.

Didn't do much. Apart from one messy win I think the Tahs won every one of their lineout throws.

There was one where the Rebels got penalised for interfering with the jumper. The Tahs stole at least 3 lineouts in the air and then there was the one Gordon scooped up and ran away to score.