• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

R3 - Reds vs. Crusaders - Suncorp

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Apparently there are still 5 or 6 games to go in round 2. But, honestly, WGAF. Let’s get on to talking about the next game that counts.

Tough one for the Reds. Last nights display was heartening - but gutsy losses are very overrated, and heading to Sydney in two weeks at 0-2 won’t be a great start.

Same team for mine. If Higgers is fit, swap him onto the bench. Otherwise tidy up our kicking, chasing and our offensive lineout.

Will be a tough game, but hopefully with a game under our belt we can lift it a notch or too. Hopefully the performance in NZ encourages a good crowd too.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Best time to have to meet the crusaders is early & at home so that's a plus for us.

I'm away in Melbourne for work though so will miss the game :(

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Can’t see much of a change occurring to the starting XV... Alex Mafi might get a tap on the shoulder, his lineout throwing this week and during the last trial isn’t up to scratch at the moment.

If Sefa is injured then Filipo is the automatic replacement for him.

Feao played a really good game on debut, so it’ll be interesting if he locks down that starting posotion ahead of smith, with the smith twins coming off the bench.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Can it please be game time already?

I have work so I'll miss the 1st half. God I hope we take it up to the Saders.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Codie Taylor has had his NZRU-mandated two week stand down so is in theory available for selection, I'm guessing he'll come off the bench.

Scott Barrett has by my maths played ~130 of the 180 minutes NZRU say he's allowed to play in Rounds 1-4, I reckon Razor will leave him at home to have the first of his two NZRU-mandated rest weeks: not much point taking him over for ~50 minutes of game time esp. with two more derbies coming up in Rounds 4 & 5.

Other than Barrett & the still-unavailable SamW & KRead I'm expecting a full-strength 23 will be named.

B

Bobby Sands

We will mince them. Hope Sefa is good to go, he is very handy on a flank. So to is Daugunu, but he is nowhere near as good in contact, & that ability to win contact will be crucial in an arm wrestle. After him our wing sticks are brittle.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
It's going to be a tough week in the office for the Reds. Best hope is if the Saders rest a heap of players, even then they tend to have a pipeline of golden talent.

Was great to be yelling at the TV with joy on Friday night, hopefully more of that to come.

B

Bobby Sands

I want to see Fraser McReight get a run this week. We need a fetcher.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
The couple of things that let us down on Friday were things that "should" be easy enough to tinker with and make meaningful change inside of a week. In saying that though, the Crusaders aren't the benchmark for nothing and are, if noting else, classy performers. We will need to be absolutely on song this weekend. But, I am more confident than I have been in years that we can be. We will need to win this between our ears first.

Crusaders matches at Suncorp always draw a big crowd. We need lots of Reds fans there to make more noise than the Crusaders fans!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
D0cle1ZUYAAy3M3.jpg:large

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I question the decision to bench Timu and start Hockings, but Thorn knows his tall timber so I'll trust his judgement here. What it does mean is that bench is loaded with quality. Can't see this team fading in the final 20 which is where the 'Saders will get you. The weekend cannot come quick enough.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Wonder if Salakaia-Loto getting game time at 6 is at the request of the Wallaby selectors. Also a good time to get Hickling’s game time before Rodda or Luckhan have to be rested as part of the rotation policy

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
why would Lukhan have to be rested? He missed the last half of last year.

As a likely first choice Wallaby he's surely part of the group that RA wants managed this year.

Missing the last six tests of 2018 isn't going to help him much if he's played 21+ games already this year when we get to the RWC.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Pretty good bench for the Reds, always a good sign

(and I think they will need it)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
1. Moody
2. Makalio
3. Franks
4. S Barrett
5. Strange
6. Sanders
7. Todd (c)
8. Douglas
9. Drummond
10. Mo'unga
11. Bridge
12. Bateman
13. Goodhue
14. Ennor
15. Jordan

16. Funnell
17. Allan
18. Ala'alatoa
19. Romano
20. Taufua
21. Hall
22. Hunt
23. Havili

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I'm always surprised by Taufua, I keep expecting him to reach another level. Also keep an eye on Will Jordan at 15. He's their Petaia, 19 years old and will leave a few people in his dust.