• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rams v Vikings NRC Round 2: Thursday 28 August 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thebank2014

Allen Oxlade (6)
They go down in their first two games and the coach should get sacked ... They have had 10 days together as a squad. Other teams have had months... There are lots more games to go.

Go rams

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
They're a complete rabble they offload the ball when none of them have the skills to do so.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
They're a complete rabble they offload the ball when none of them have the skills to do so.
I see it entirely differently.
Volavola for example should be their strike weapon,instead he is their Achilles heal.Chisholm is a complete disaster.
Unfortunately,his other option at 10, seems to be out of his depth,and lacks the confidence to back himself at all.

The Rams dominated the opening 20 and I felt a fair reflection of the game at 1/2 time would have seen them even at worst.
In the 2nd half,the Rams pigs were beaten in contact.
A couple of yellow cards didn't help, but they weren't the coaches fault.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
The announcers (Kearns and maybe that guy from Rugby HQ) need to cool it on the hype. We get that it's a new exciting thing, that's why we are watching. There's no reason to push the fact that the game is incredibly fast paced (which it isn't, really) every second ruck.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Crap handling and poor execution?
I thought that was a poor example of what the NRC could be..

Eh. The Opener was like watching two Barbarians teams going at it for mine. Lots of quick taps, broken play, poor combinations etc.

With a bit of attacking flair, I thought this was better, more tactical line-outs and scrums, defence "appeared" to be a little better, and at least the Vikings looked a more cohesive unit.

Of course, the skills were awful at points, and the Rams all played like individuals, but It felt like I was watching a proper game.

There's a middle ground somewhere though, I'd for it to be found.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
was that a female touchie?

very good if so.

Edit: beaten by Hugh Jarse!

Yep, that was Amy Perrett - she just refereed the Women's Rugby World Cup final. I believe she's refereed Shute Shield before, so perhaps an NRC game is not out of the question at some stage in the next couple of years. Maybe Super Rugby one day. Would be a cool thing to see. She's only young too - 25 or so.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Pfitzy fucking tore it up in the crowd tonight. 1500 would be stretching it IMHO. I thought maybe topping out at a thousand.

Best moment was the last Brumkings (Vibies?) lineout on half way and I took it upon myself to give their hooker a new call.

Rams are showing the Melrose intent to attack at all costs, but guilty of over egging the pudding. Couple of those passes stick and we get a bonus point. Five tries to three by my count.

Vikings had their club front row on to start and finished with their pros. Rams did it the other way and got belted.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'll also add: while I'm not thrilled we lost, the level of rugby I found suitable for achieving our aims e.g. growing the game and putting the club guys into a tougher level of competition.

The disappointing bit was the crowd figure. I reckon a better game for televising would have been e.g. Rays i.e. another Sydney team

masai

Frank Nicholson (4)
Volavola for example should be their strike weapon,instead he is their Achilles heal.

I thought Volavola was one of the highlights at 10 tonight. He started off poorly with a few loose passes, but grew into the game nicely. Off the top of my head I remember him serving up a couple of linebreaks on a platter for his outside centre, he generally took the ball quickly to the line committing defenders, and he held his own in the kicking duel with Aussie rugby's best boot, Jesse Mogg.

If any of his teammates had fingers attached to their palms, he might be worthy of a man of the match performance. He also wasn't helped by a pretty ordinary game from his halfback, who seriously overplayed his hand on a number of occasions and was guilty of sending way too much pill to the backline.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Eh. The Opener was like watching two Barbarians teams going at it for mine. Lots of quick taps, broken play, poor combinations etc.

With a bit of attacking flair, I thought this was better, more tactical line-outs and scrums, defence "appeared" to be a little better, and at least the Vikings looked a more cohesive unit.

Of course, the skills were awful at points, and the Rams all played like individuals, but It felt like I was watching a proper game.

There's a middle ground somewhere though, I'd for it to be found.

Two barbarian teams ? IMO both sides last week were playing to what they thought were advantages. Compare the two games the Stars and Brisbane City rely on an up tempo game; quick taps, fitness and skill execution under fatigue to use the ball and play expansive football.

This week showcased two bigger packs looking to win the physical battle. The game was played in tight pick and drives, mauls, scrums and a lot of kicking. Don't have a problem with that style of football but when done poor boy doesn't it look ordinary. A scrum not functioning on top of the drop ball and the two yellow cards to top it off.

I have no doubt the Rams will turn things around and maybe some more time together on the training paddock will help.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I thought Volavola was one of the highlights at 10 tonight. He started off poorly with a few loose passes, but grew into the game nicely. Off the top of my head I remember him serving up a couple of linebreaks on a platter for his outside centre, he generally took the ball quickly to the line committing defenders, and he held his own in the kicking duel with Aussie rugby's best boot, Jesse Mogg.

If any of his teammates had fingers attached to their palms, he might be worthy of a man of the match performance. He also wasn't helped by a pretty ordinary game from his halfback, who seriously overplayed his hand on a number of occasions and was guilty of sending way too much pill to the backline.
That's a different perspective.
I thought the 12 was great tonight,but thought most of it was his own good work rather than Ben V putting him in holes.
You didn't like the 9?
Again I differ,I thought he was great.
Since you brought up his name,WTF has happened to Mogg?
I wouldn't pick him to play SS ATM.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I thought the 12 was great tonight,but thought most of it was his own good work rather than Ben V putting him in holes.
You didn't like the 9?

No, Moggy is right off the pace. Another real mess with the ball on the ground allowing the Rams an easy try. Amongst poor kicks, missed tackles et al. Funny that the contracted Brumbies seem to be the poorer performers atm. Both Coleman and Christian Lealiifano have issues as well. Impressed with Ah Wong at 13, and the Smiths were strong in the second half. Overall, a big improvement on last week. Still like to see more ball in hand and less kicking.

Thebank2014

Allen Oxlade (6)
a
You didn't like the 9?

Couldn't agree more. 12 for rams ran some Good lines and ran hard. Christian wasn't a stand out or wallaby tonight... Nigel is an old Sunnybank guy but played in the forwards when he played for them. Good to see him and number 12 (Henry ) old teams mates against each other tonight.

Go rams

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
it might be difficult for a firmly entrenched Super rugby guy like Mogg to get "up" for this comp. I mean a year ago he was starting against the ABs and now he's playing amateur footy on Thursday night in front of 800 people. It's possible he'd rather be doing something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.