• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ranfurly Shield, ITM Cup & Heartland Championship: NZ domestic comps 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
FT Aucks 30-24 'naki. Really good game & result in doubt until Reiko Ioane got the match-winner in the 80th min. Defending champs now 0/2 & will have to turn things around pronto if they're to make the SF, starting with the also-0/2 Hogs next week.....................

Match of the Round coming up, Cantabs v Steelers.

Loving these "local hero" post-matches where a young fan gets to give the MOTM his envelope & gets a ball in return. Great idea.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
FABJAM grasses it with the line open. Not a great pass from Goodhew, tbf, but holy shit can that kid hit a hole. #FABJAG :). No score 12 in.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Cantabs with >70% possession 6-5 Steelers who've made ~3 million tackles. Hopefully they're tired & start falling off a few 'cos right now it's like we're running into walls out there. Mo'unga putting it dead in-goal from one of the eight penalties & pushing his kick-pass to FABJAM about 5m too far doesn't help..................

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
FT Cantabs still with 70% territory 20-15 Steelers who just kept making their tackles & could've snuck the win at the end. Frustrating game to watch.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
FT Cantabs still with 70% territory 20-15 Steelers who just kept making their tackles & could've snuck the win at the end. Frustrating game to watch.
Great defensive effort from the Steelers. Their two tries were rewards for disciplined and spirited defence but there will be some tired and sore bodies in the morning.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Bizarre ending to that Canterbury/Counties match. Counties take the ball into the breakdown and the ref looks like he might award a penalty to Canterbury, but instead signals an advantage to Counties, only to then do nothing when the ball is turned over immediately thereafter.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Counties take the ball into the breakdown and the ref looks like he might award a penalty to Canterbury, but instead signals an advantage to Counties, only to then do nothing when the ball is turned over immediately thereafter.
I thought his signal was ambiguous - it might have been a signal for advantage or it might have been a "get onside" signal. I don't think the Steelers complained did they? (I was immediately drafted into domestic duties as the whistle blew and was not playing attention.)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
FT Steamers 26-10 Stags. I had other commitments, did I miss much?
A willing effort from both sides in a match that kept my attention but didn't really rise to great heights. Some strong scrummaging battles (at least until the replacements started to come on), some below average kicking for goal and a couple of quite nice tries.

That's about it I think.

Hoping for a more exciting match between the Steamers and Waikato as I'm actually going to attend my first ever ITM match then.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Samu and Ala'alatoa are going to be lost to Aus rugby aren't they.
They have certainly slotted in well in their respective teams.

In tonight's match between Tasman and Manawatu, Samu brought up his third and fourth tries in just the third game. His general play is good while his lineout work is strong. He will surely be picked up by a Super Rugby team.

Ala'alatoa is impressing with his carries. The scrum battle between Ala'alatoa and Perry ebbed and flowed and both will probably feel they dominated the other at times but overall the Tasman scrum was stronger and the energy of the whole team proved the difference. The Tahs better get on the phone tonight or your prediction will be fulfilled.

Samu was awarded MOTM.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
FT Magpies 35-11 Steelers. Missed a big chunk of it but Magpies looking good for another Championship final & Steelers not so good as my Premiership smokey.

Match of the Round today 12:30, Aucks v Cantabs. Fair to say that when it comes to NZ provincial rivalry this is número uno, almost Orijun level maaaate! :)

@ 2Blues you going to Bay Park tomorrow? Should be a pretty decent game, maybe you could do a live post or two?

Heartland-wise mine & @Dan's mighty 'nua are away to King Country.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Funny how Akld,Cant took over from Wgton/Cant rivallry from the 70s WOB, now there was some hate between those team (or supporters) in them days;) I mean all good rugby men of my age remember Fegie McCormick taking Batty with a headhigh, or the deadbeat Canterbury supporters that used to tear into Alan Hewson (and these wimpy Aussies think Quade gets a hard time:D) and mainly because he took one Robbie Deans spot in ABs!!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^ head high on Batty? Musta been a good shot or was Fergie kneeling at the time? I really think the Wellington/ Canterbury rivalry was mostly one-sided, the Aucks were enemy #1 from as far back as I can remember (~1974).

As for Hewson & Deans, Mr Pantyhose only kept his place for two seasons on the back of kicking us to victory in '81 (gifting Ray Mordt those tries not counting, apparently :)), everyone outside Wellytown knew damn well who the better FB was, it just took the selectors that long to catch up. Then of course Robbie got his belated chance & promptly broke a leg............

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
HT (43 min half!) Cantabs 19-8 Aucks. Faumuina's probably done enough to prove he's RWC-fit, expect he'll be subbed early. Only injury will prevent Akira Ioane wearing Black next year, he's having another ripper.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
FT Cantabs 27-21 Aucks who should probably have snatched it in the last 10 but fucked up some attacking line outs by trying to be too fancy for their own good. Coupla great individual tries to FABJAM & while almost as frustrating to watch as last week I'll take a win at Eden Park any day...............

Status
Not open for further replies.