• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rd 10: Waratahs vs Rebels @ SCG, Saturday 20 April

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Some random thoughts:
  1. Fitzpatrick is seriously under-rated IMO
  2. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) will be very very good in two years time. His play this year has been terrific.
  3. Hunt had a very nondescript game, his second on the trot.
  4. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is way better than the knockers say. Not always flash but super-reliable, always straightens the line and asks questions. Who cares how old he is, he is a class above anyone at the Tahs at 13 or the Australian conference for that matter (assuming Kerevi is a 12 and Kuridrani is in his usual Super torpor that he won't emerge from till round 15.)
  5. Hodge played OK but Beale was a class above tonight. He quickly realised that running wasn't an option in the conditions, caught superbly and kicked intelligently.
  6. The Rebels play a curious version of 10-man rugby where they play very narrowly and the ball doesn't go much past 12. I know it wasn't great for passing and running last night, but when they went behind they didn't change it up, just kept doing the same thing. Gibson completely won the game of the coaches.
  7. I don't think we learnt too much about about the Foley/Cooper battle that we didn't already know.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Hawko, your point 6 is absolutely on the money. The Tahs kicking game was far superior to the Rebels and at no time did the Rebels try something different. I am disappointed that Quade seems to be hamstrung by the Rebels' game plan and that Wessells might not be the enlightened coach that we were starting the think he was.

I think Kuridrani just brought round 15 to the present.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Another lot of random thoughts:

• Tahs looked cooked as the first half drew to a close, whatever Gibson said/did at half time should be bottled.
  • Cooper did as Cooper does, little hippy, hoppy, jumpy steps going nowhere, always looking for the miracle ball to do something extraordinary while not executing the simple stuff, commitment at the physical coalface found wanting.
  • The experienced Tahs, Hooper/Simmons/Foley/Beale/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), rolled their sleeves up in the second half and played simple, solid rugby.
  • HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) is tomorrow's man, Kepu isn't. Can't wait for Robbo to get back.
  • Tahs STILL need another big, shredding second-rower.
  • Rob Simmons continues to astound me, the disappointment of being discarded by his beloved Reds must've hurt him deeply, yet he's playing better than ever. How many penalty-free games has he put in this year?
  • AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) still has it, occasionally. His light stepping and solid leg drive (he somehow seems to do both things simultaneously) while leaning forward manages to get him that extra 5m at the tackle every time. A textbook style for young OCs. If only he was 5kg heavier, 5cm taller and five years younger.....
  • WTF is it with all the dropped ball?
  • Disappointing game from the Rebels; however, their talented players should still get a callup for gold. Even Cooper, there's no other backup for the 10 jumper.
  • The SCG's a shit place to watch rectangular sports.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Another lot of random thoughts in response to random thoughts:
  • HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) is really growing into himself. He looks confident and like he's really enjoying himself. A recipe for success.
  • How about when Magnay absolutely clobbered Hunt? I felt it in the stands. Good to see the young buck standing up the old bull.
  • Foley's runaway try was a great example of why some prefer him over Cooper. He threw his body behind the contest, whereas Cooper just stuck his arms out and shied away from contact. Commitment reigns supreme.
  • Rob Simmons looks like hes put some serious muscle on. There was a close up of him and his arms looked more Etebeth than Hockings. What a late career resurgence.
    • Philip and Coleman - on the other hand - have been super quiet this season. Not like them at all. The Wallabies 2nd row stocks are up in the air. I'd take LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Rodda over both of them, with Simmons also in the mix.
  • Jones continues to make a million tackles and is super handy in the lineouts. I'd take him at 6 for the Wallabies - Dempsey isn't doing much.
  • Naisarani carried very strongly.
  • Why is everyone talking about the conditions? It was absolutely perfect for rugby. The dropped ball in the 1st half was unbearable and inexplicable.
  • I actually like watching rugby at the SCG. Sue me.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
Some random thoughts:
  1. Fitzpatrick is seriously under-rated IMO
  2. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) will be very very good in two years time. His play this year has been terrific.
  3. Hunt had a very nondescript game, his second on the trot.
  4. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is way better than the knockers say. Not always flash but super-reliable, always straightens the line and asks questions. Who cares how old he is, he is a class above anyone at the Tahs at 13 or the Australian conference for that matter (assuming Kerevi is a 12 and Kuridrani is in his usual Super torpor that he won't emerge from till round 15.)
  5. Hodge played OK but Beale was a class above tonight. He quickly realised that running wasn't an option in the conditions, caught superbly and kicked intelligently.
  6. The Rebels play a curious version of 10-man rugby where they play very narrowly and the ball doesn't go much past 12. I know it wasn't great for passing and running last night, but when they went behind they didn't change it up, just kept doing the same thing. Gibson completely won the game of the coaches.
  7. I don't think we learnt too much about about the Foley/Cooper battle that we didn't already know.
Spot on Fitzpatrick is underrated. Playing incredibly well has hardly missed a throw all season.

TheNorth

Allen Oxlade (6)
Just watched the match reply and a few thoughts.

Hodge looked good at 15, jermaine ainsley shows promise but is always good for a few simple mistakes.
Hooper is a warrior. Genia is key for the rebels. Nah ay is one for the future and Hardwick hasn’t been good since leaving the force

Also the ref let the game turn into a real shit fight around the ruck and a lottery at scrum time (sometimes) I think he was trying to promote a free flowing game but really it made for a scrappy affair which suited the Waratahs to the ground and really stunted the Rebels attack. The rebels have a great workman pack but are still a bit young and lacking that tactical nous to get them through those situations.

I think if glen Jackson reffed that the game would be completely different but hats off to the tags for adapting to the conditions of the ref and the field - which is the types of variables hat make rugby great

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Just watched the match reply and a few thoughts.

Hodge looked good at 15, jermaine ainsley shows promise but is always good for a few simple mistakes.
Hooper is a warrior. Genia is key for the rebels. Nah ay is one for the future and Hardwick hasn’t been good since leaving the force

Also the ref let the game turn into a real shit fight around the ruck and a lottery at scrum time (sometimes) I think he was trying to promote a free flowing game but really it made for a scrappy affair which suited the Waratahs to the ground and really stunted the Rebels attack. The rebels have a great workman pack but are still a bit young and lacking that tactical nous to get them through those situations.

I think if glen Jackson reffed that the game would be completely different but hats off to the tags for adapting to the conditions of the ref and the field - which is the types of variables hat make rugby great

Do you mean Glen (I let anything go at the breakdown) Jackson? The ref whose games usually turn into a shit-fight? Am I missing some deep-seated irony?

I thought the ref had a poor night and contributed to the poor spectacle overall. On a number of occasions he allowed players to handle the ball to effect a turnover long after a ruck had formed. But the worst part of his performance was that in the first half he allowed the Rebel backline to lurk 1-3 metres offside. It wasn't till the second half that he started to blow it up and by then the Rebels were so used to doing it they couldn't adapt. And then he took ages to find his yellow card and use it.

He's got the makings of a good ref but does need some more experience.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Did you miss the Rebels' crooked throws as well, Hawko? One was, FINALLY, called late in the second half. When play occurred in line with me I could easily see the Rebels backs were offside, it made me wonder WTF the touchies were doing.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hodge went through massive hole in Tahs defense for last try.

I only got to watch the game last night because I was away over the weekend but I reckon the Rebels were pretty fortunate to be awarded that try.

Not sure how Koroibete can go past the ball on the contestable kick and impede Newsome's attempt to catch the ball and it isn't obstruction. The argument is he did it accidentally so it isn't a penalty on that basis but it had a pretty substantial impact on the play.

Scooter

Colin Windon (37)
I only got to watch the game last night because I was away over the weekend but I reckon the Rebels were pretty fortunate to be awarded that try.

Not sure how Koroibete can go past the ball on the contestable kick and impede Newsome's attempt to catch the ball and it isn't obstruction. The argument is he did it accidentally so it isn't a penalty on that basis but it had a pretty substantial impact on the play.

Braveheart at the time I was yelling at the TV for Cooper to even take a drop kick conversion so they didn't go back and look at Koroibete contest.

When they stopped the conversion I thought they would disallow the try. Although on replay there was minimal contact maybe that saved Koroibete.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Braveheart at the time I was yelling at the TV for Cooper to even take a drop kick conversion so they didn't go back and look at Koroibete contest.

When they stopped the conversion I thought they would disallow the try. Although on replay there was minimal contact maybe that saved Koroibete.

It was funny that Murphy stopped to look at the replay then the TMO asked if he was waiting for anything and Murphy said no, it was fine and awarded the try.

The other incident of note was Cooper kicking out on the full with part of his foot over the 22. That's completely fine. Horan didn't know the law (which is not surprising).

Tex

John Thornett (49)
I didn't watch the game but texted my brother at about the 50th minute with the following:

"I bet we don't score again and completely bottle it"

Disappointing result. Hope the Rebels' wheels aren't wobbling and that the last few weeks reflect the need for a well-earned bye round.