• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RD 15: Sunwolves v Rebels

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Fairly simple here. Rebels lose, and i think our chances of making the finals are over.

Where do we start? What changes do we need to make to our gameplan for this match? Need to be honest about the things that worked, and what didn't work against the Bulls.

Do we bring back Uelese and give Rangi a rest? He looked banged up from the Bulls match? What other personnel changes do we need to make?

Is Coleman ready to play? Think Isi and Merlin a few weeks away.

We have to go for the big win here. All or nothing. We need a bonus point and a PD boost.

Time to pull the finger out.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Is there any point of To'omua getting time on if he can't play finals?

Also, thoughts on Koroibete. Seems like he heard his criticism and had a very good game in a losing side on Friday.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Is there any point of To'omua getting time on if he can't play finals?

Also, thoughts on Koroibete. Seems like he heard his criticism and had a very good game in a losing side on Friday.

If it helps us to make the finals, yes! Gives QC (Quade Cooper) the opportunity to rest up.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I really think the Rebels have to play a little deeper (Quade) in attack if they are being confronted with a rush defense. The problem seems to me to be that Quade and his outside backs are all receiving the ball under immense pressure in most recent games, leading to significant errors. Certainly, play flat if the defense allows it, but otherwise have a second option to go to.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I really think the Rebels have to play a little deeper (Quade) in attack if they are being confronted with a rush defense. The problem seems to me to be that Quade and his outside backs are all receiving the ball under immense pressure in most recent games, leading to significant errors. Certainly, play flat if the defense allows it, but otherwise have a second option to go to.

Both the Stormers and Bulls played rush defence, completly shutting down Quade. I was waiting for their Hurricanes moment, where they would start playing deeper.

It didn't eventuate.

They need to know when Plan A is not working, and deploy the Plan B. Otherwise, they will resort to aimlessly kicking away posession.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
The pack is desperately missing people capable of winning the contact zone. Also a little bit more respect for the ball at times.

If we are going to kick, which I am fine with, it needs to be long in our half and down the blindside (there was a least 2 kicks last week to the openside winger, to Specman at that). A box kick in our half isn’t the answer.

Gotta play the best team available, we can rest players against the Crusaders in a few weeks.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Both the Stormers and Bulls played rush defence, completly shutting down Quade. I was waiting for their Hurricanes moment, where they would start playing deeper.

It didn't eventuate.

They need to know when Plan A is not working, and deploy the Plan B. Otherwise, they will resort to aimlessly kicking away posession.
They shut down Genia, that was the real issue. He had an absolute shocker.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
They shut down Genia, that was the real issue. He had an absolute shocker.
Yeah, they showed how to stop the Rebels. They held him back, took him out, got in his way, smashed him whenever he got the ball. Generally did whatever they could to stop Genia from taking up position behind the ruck to run the play.

I reckon it's one of the reasons the Rebels do well against Aussie teams. His Wallaby teammates from other teams aren't going out of their way to be complete obstructionists

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The pack is desperately missing people capable of winning the contact zone. Also a little bit more respect for the ball at times.

You've got to have a style that gives you a chance where you don't get dominance in the contact zone. The flat attack off the back of forward dominance is a great way to put inferior teams to the sword but it is unlikely to match up well against teams that are equal or better.

Clearly competing in the contact zone will always be vital and it is very difficult to win if you get smashed in that area but a couple of times lately it has felt like the Rebels just have no answer against a team that they aren't smashing in the forwards.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Quade needs a rest, maybe give To'omua the keys for the first 50 minutes then let QC (Quade Cooper) come on and start to probe at what I'd hope is a tired defence, because up until that point we will have accumulated points by kicking penalties, won contact in the pigs and put all that BS Harlem Globetrotter rubbish to bed.

Genia is banned from tap and go penalties unless we're advancing in the 22.

Magnay had a shocker last week but should be given more time. He's definitely shown great glimpses.

Roach as well. After years of coin toss lineouts it's still great to have confidence that it'll be thrown accurately. Let him start and bring Jordan back into the fold slowly.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I’d love to see the post contact meters in the past 6 weeks. Our forwards aren’t winning collisions, it’s probably the most important things in rugby these days. It immediately solves your ruck problem and the time given to the backline to perform.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I’d love to see the post contact meters in the past 6 weeks. Our forwards aren’t winning collisions, it’s probably the most important things in rugby these days. It immediately solves your ruck problem and the time given to the backline to perform.

Maybe worth reviewing the Hurricanes game to see if this was a key change between the halves. Going backwards one minute, scoring tries the next.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
You've got to have a style that gives you a chance where you don't get dominance in the contact zone. The flat attack off the back of forward dominance is a great way to put inferior teams to the sword but it is unlikely to match up well against teams that are equal or better.

Clearly competing in the contact zone will always be vital and it is very difficult to win if you get smashed in that area but a couple of times lately it has felt like the Rebels just have no answer against a team that they aren't smashing in the forwards.
I personally think the plan b should be to play a strong kicking game, but they are bereft of that. Hodge is grossly under used and Quade who normally has a smart kicking game into the corners has lost it. The game against the Tahs was prime example of winning the kicking battle in the first half through sheer size of boot with Hodge, but second half they just packed it away and couldn’t penetrate over the gain line into a very good Tahs defense. The first game against the Brums as well was won, playing in the right areas.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Maybe worth reviewing the Hurricanes game to see if this was a key change between the halves. Going backwards one minute, scoring tries the next.
Against the Hurricanes we played the game in the right half in the second. So could afford to go backwards and play deeper. That should be the first thing sorted.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
My backline this week if everyone is fit:

9: Genia
10: QC (Quade Cooper)
11: Koroibete
12: Meakes
13: English
14: DHP
15: Hodge

Bench:

Ruru
Maddox
To'omua

Maddox has disappeared since the Stormers game and really needs a kick up the ass. I am open to swapping DHP and Hodge but think that Hodge best game of the year was at full back and DHP is a good winger.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I personally think the plan b should be to play a strong kicking game, but they are bereft of that. Hodge is grossly under used and Quade who normally has a smart kicking game into the corners has lost it. The game against the Tahs was prime example of winning the kicking battle in the first half through sheer size of boot with Hodge, but second half they just packed it away and couldn’t penetrate over the gain line into a very good Tahs defense. The first game against the Brums as well was won, playing in the right areas.

The kicking game should be part of all game plans.

The Rebels got to half time against the Bulls down by 5 points despite absolutely dominating territory (80%) and possession (76%) in the first half. The Bulls then did much better in those areas in the second half and won the game easily.

They had the territory and possession and couldn't turn it into points. There needs to be another tactic with ball in hand to penetrate defences. You would think that the obvious ploy is to incorporate the out the back option in combination with the flat runners to hopefully get around the defence that is rushing up hard on the inside.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
They had the territory and possession and couldn't turn it into points. There needs to be another tactic with ball in hand to penetrate defences. You would think that the obvious ploy is to incorporate the out the back option in combination with the flat runners to hopefully get around the defence that is rushing up hard on the inside.
They tried the out the back option several times and dropped it or missed their man nearly every time.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Quade needs a rest, maybe give To'omua the keys for the first 50 minutes then let QC (Quade Cooper) come on and start to probe at what I'd hope is a tired defence, because up until that point we will have accumulated points by kicking penalties, won contact in the pigs and put all that BS Harlem Globetrotter rubbish to bed.

Genia is banned from tap and go penalties unless we're advancing in the 22.

Magnay had a shocker last week but should be given more time. He's definitely shown great glimpses.

Roach as well. After years of coin toss lineouts it's still great to have confidence that it'll be thrown accurately. Let him start and bring Jordan back into the fold slowly.

Genia should also be banned from box kicks.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Looks like Jordan made the trip to Japan, so I'd say he in the selection mix for Saturday. Good news!