• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rd 18: Rebels Vs Chiefs - AAMI Park, Friday 14/06 7:45pm

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
There's almost an institutional shortage of smarts right across Australian sport.

Personally, I think it all comes down to too much emphasis on "sports science" and over-coaching, which means that the players themselves lose the ability or confidence to think on their feet, adjust and improvise. Plans and patterns get drilled into their heads and when they fall apart the players don't know how to cope.
I think this is a great point.

The Rebels were pathetic tonight, actually beyond pathetic, however I believe Australian sport and rugby in particular is as mentioned ‘dumb’. Football and cricket are having issues with choreographed methodology on how to play, instead of what’s in front of them. A lot of it I believe comes from the major sports in the country, which set the foundations of philosophies within the psyche of the sporting culture. Plenty is borrowed and replicated across our sports, however our two major sports have little to no competition internationally to keep them honest if they are doing the right things or not. There is no test of player mentalities and coaching philosophies to test if what they are doing is right outside the game environments they set. Because at the end of the day, if everyone is doing it, how will you know? Does it just become a battle of who’s doing this fostered culture the best, instead of who’s fostering the right culture. There is so much information sharing and mentoring going on between all the high performance programs over the different sports, do we need to be careful i what we absorb and believe as gospel? In what generates a quality and consistent high performance athlete.

I watch a lot of Bill and Boz on fox and Mark Bosnich is constantly claiming Australian juniors are over coached compared to other countries, there isn’t much organic growth to their ability to read and perform skills in a game of football, everything is very choreographed and scripted, it’s a pet hate of his and believes it creates fundamental issues with our top end players against more flexible opponents. Cricket is having the same issue with our batsmen bemoaned on technique instead of output, Rugby from my experience is very rigid in play calling and method of play. The Rebels and Tahs are prime examples of this, are we getting it wrong and creating issues like we saw tonight and the past 5-6yrs.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well I am glad the rabble did not make the finals as they didn’t deserve too and would have not lasted long if they did.

Serious question marks over the coaching at this point and whether got right coaching structure.

For a squad that had so much talent the second half of rebels season scored an ‘f’ for me

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
3 losses on the trot, over 100 points conceded in the last two games and another year of being unable to win in SA or NZ

A year that went from exceptional to start, to mediocre, has ended up a nightmare. Some Wallabies prospects playing themselves out of jerseys as well which is worrying.

Traditionally if a team has this poor a defensive problem two weeks in a row, and in a must win situation it is usually a sign that the team is not happy with the coaching staff.

This really frustrates me because if they fired the coach and played next week I would put my house on them.

Makes it hard to pick Rebels for the Wallabies if they select on form as Johnson has previously stated. We need defence at the world cup and they are obviously not in defensive form.

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
I watch a lot of Bill and Boz on fox and Mark Bosnich is constantly claiming Australian juniors are over coached compared to other countries, there isn’t much organic growth to their ability to read and perform skills in a game of football, everything is very choreographed and scripted, it’s a pet hate of his and believes it creates fundamental issues with our top end players against more flexible opponents. Cricket is having the same issue with our batsmen bemoaned on technique instead of output, Rugby from my experience is very rigid in play calling and method of play. The Rebels and Tahs are prime examples of this, are we getting it wrong and creating issues like we saw tonight and the past 5-6yrs.

Great example about the Socceroos.

Under Ange Postecoglou we couldn't score except for penalties, under Van Marwijk at World Cup time we couldn't score except through penalties, and now Graham Arnold's the coach and we still can't f#&%en score!

Add to that fact that none of the leading A-Leaue goalscorers are actually Australian-eligible and it looks like something that's not going to resolve itself any time soon.

The other one that sticks out to me is how Australia's fast bowlers started bowling fuller lengths once Craig McDermott became bowling coach, forgot all that and started bowling rubbish lengths once he left, then started bowling fuller once they brought McDermott back again. I know fast bowlers aren't meant to be the sharpest knives in the box, but come on!

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Great example about the Socceroos.

Under Ange Postecoglou we couldn't score except for penalties, under Van Marwijk at World Cup time we couldn't score except through penalties, and now Graham Arnold's the coach and we still can't f#&%en score!

Add to that fact that none of the leading A-Leaue goalscorers are actually Australian-eligible and it looks like something that's not going to resolve itself any time soon.

The other one that sticks out to me is how Australia's fast bowlers started bowling fuller lengths once Craig McDermott became bowling coach, forgot all that and started bowling rubbish lengths once he left, then started bowling fuller once they brought McDermott back again. I know fast bowlers aren't meant to be the sharpest knives in the box, but come on!

Crickets issues started a long time before that, we p[laced the importance on pace, not accuracy/movement of the ball.

Siddle earned his spot because "he hits the deck hard", cricket hasn't changed much over the years, if you can move the ball half the width of the bat you have a chance of a caught behind or slips catch.

Don Bradman said that he liked short pitched balls, because you cant get bowled or LBW.

Why do we take away 2 of the 5 common ways to get a wicket on most deliveries?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Watch the Try that Shaun Stevenson scores and get one of the differences between teams from both countries, there is a little chip kick to Manu on the wing, and as he draws the defence and passes to stevenson, there are about anoth 4 Chiefs players who in support that could of been passed to in the unlikely occurrence that a few Rebels players had worked hard enough to get back in defence and tackled him.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The massive scoreline has had two significant impacts.............

The Chiefs have locked in a spot in the finals as their points differential is now above the Stormers.

And the Rebels have dropped down to 10th, and could go to as low as 12th if the Sharks and Blues both win tonight, although the Blues will need a bonus point.

If that does occur, although unlikely, four of the five teams in the Aus conference will hold the bottom four spots on the ladder.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
12th if the Sharks and Blues both win tonight, although the Blues will need a bonus point.

giphy.gif

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
For a squad that had so much talent the second half of rebels season scored an ‘f’ for me
I'll give the whole season a big F.

Failed to make finals with one of the best squads in the comp
Failed to blood any new talent
and failed to reengage the fans, Stand by me? What the F is that match day. Rebels had 7 wins and not once did I hear the actual club song.

7 wins 4 of the last 5 seasons, seems that once the Rebels reach 7 wins the season is over.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Disgraceful performance on Friday. Watching them crow and cheer after scoring a flukey rubbish try was almost as bad as Cooper's late-season fade and rubbish kicks and missed tackles. Most of the team have rightly played themselves out of a Wallaby jumper, and thank god for that.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
I'll give the whole season a big F.

Failed to make finals with one of the best squads in the comp
Failed to blood any new talent
and failed to reengage the fans, Stand by me? What the F is that match day. Rebels had 7 wins and not once did I hear the actual club song.

7 wins 4 of the last 5 seasons, seems that once the Rebels reach 7 wins the season is over.

3 wins this season in the first 3 games - before the game plan was worked out
4 wins in the final 13 games against the bottom 2 teams in the competition
9 loses against everyone else

Definite F for the season