• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebel v Tahs, round 15 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
That was a good win from the Tahs.

Did anybody get the name of that chap who was throwing the ball in into the lineouts for the Tahs?

Whoever he is Cheika should give him a run in the next game because he was a lot better than TPN.

And have him kick the goals too Cheik.

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
If the whistle blew, it wasn't straight. Otherwise play on!

Yep, I think "The Hoff" had some difficulties with seeing straight. The overthrown lineout that Phipps almost scored off looked like it was heading to Hegarty first!

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Sitting in the stands there were quite a few crooked throws from both rakes, neither side seemed to be favoured or profit from them.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Sitting in the stands there were quite a few crooked throws from both rakes, neither side seemed to be favoured or profit from them.

I think it's good when the referee is a bit more lenient on the throws, particularly if only one team competes.

They allow a lot more leeway on scrum feeds so I don't see why the lineouts can't have a little bit of leeway too.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
According to ESPNscrum, the Tahs only made 64 tackles in the whole match.

I wonder if that is a Super Rugby record? I'd guess it would be close.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Am I alone in thinking Skelton does not live up to the hype? Phil Kearns is either having a bromance with him or is his manager!!

Completely agree, he has only managed or been given one full game. Either way if a player is not playing 80 minutes on a consistent basis I doubt they are ready for test rugby.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Needs to be less leeway on scrum feeds rather than more on lineouts IMO.

Continues to shit me at all levels when that contest is removed.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

Agree, particularly when referees are deciding games on lottery like scrum penalties which have no impact of the result of the scrum.. It pisses me off when I see a team has clearly won the ball (which is the object of a scrum), but hold it in and then the ref finds some penalty, but the most obvious infringement (the scrum feed) which in many cases prevents an opponent from having any chance at competing is ignored.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Completely agree, he has only managed or been given one full game. Either way if a player is not playing 80 minutes on a consistent basis I doubt they are ready for test rugby.
Most of the props should be dropped immediately then.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Most of the props should be dropped immediately then.

Ok, props are a bit different but you know what I mean, Skelton is a up and coming lock but I don't think he has the motor for test rugby yet alone the experience to take the step. Even as a impact sub his not ready for the step up.

Skelton has played 567 minutes this year and only 180 minutes last year which is a total of 747 minutes of Super Rugby.
Compare that to Jones 880 (2804 career) Carter 906 (3040 career)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Skelton played 80 vs the Lions he had 12 runs and 8 tackles. Nothing wrong with that 'motor'.

Of course his workrate isn't going to be as high as Luke Jones or Sam Carter but his effectiveness is easily higher than both. The last thing we need at test level is more workrate players with little impact.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Skelton off the bench would be perfect.
He hurts people with and without the ball, has good hands, smashes over the adv line, reliably gets the ball back after contact, and counter rucks and cleans out with precision.
Who would you rather face for the last 20 mins?

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Skelton off the bench would be perfect.
He hurts people with and without the ball, has good hands, smashes over the adv line, reliably gets the ball back after contact, and counter rucks and cleans out with precision.
Who would you rather face for the last 20 mins?

I would, but what happen if he is required for 60 minutes off the bench cause of injury.
Skelton played 80 vs the Lions he had 12 runs and 8 tackles. Nothing wrong with that 'motor'.

Of course his workrate isn't going to be as high as Luke Jones or Sam Carter but his effectiveness is easily higher than both. The last thing we need at test level is more workrate players with little impact.
Lions is no Chiefs, Crusaders, Sharks, Brumbies let alone France. They are use to big bullying forwards so I would not see him causing to much destruction.

Hope he proves me wrong but I really doubt it at this early stage of his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.