• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebel v Tahs, round 15 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I'm off to Melbourne on Friday morning, business travel of course. waratahjesus is also making the trip, business for him as well. We shall receive visitors at the Turf Bar pre-match on Friday arvo. Please wear lounge suits with medals, hats and gloves for ladies.

D

daz

Very much looking forward to this game. I even have the pleasure of going into the team room to listen to Coach Tony's pre-game address.

Too early to start with the trash talk, but it is only a matter of time before the Rebels Twitter people start talking it up.

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
Time for the tahs to roll on for 3 wins in a row and put their southern bretheren to the sword. I don't think it will be close but it won't be a blow out. By 12 or 15 perhaps?

will be interesting to see how the Rebs handle our forward pack at the breakdown and in general play. I am looking forward to see AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Horne, Folau, Beale V Ellison, Woodward, Inman. Some good match ups there.

Give Kellaway a bench spot and 10 minutes if we have it in the bag.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Rebels make me nervous. They will have a massive boner from beating the Reds at Suncorp and be looking to protect their turf with Wallaby jerseys on the line.

Perhaps more dangerously, Jason Woodward. That guy can play, and with Hegarty finding his feet at this level, and a pretty decent forward pack, they could trouble us if we don't have the handling right.

It won't be the same result as earlier in the year. Tahs just need to win and make sure of it. Take the same approach as yesterday - get out to a 15+ lead if possible then turn on the razzle dazzle.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Very tough match for the Tahs, the Rebels do what the Tahs struggle against, the attack/flood the breakdown

It will be interesting to see how they cope, and whether they can keep their shape

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Big banana peel game for us here. Rebs always seem to step up for the conference games. All I want is a win, and I don't care how we get it.

D

daz

The way the Rebels just kept the ball alive in attack against the Reds, and the way the player going to ground almost always kept offering a pass to players coming in waves behind them was simply breath-taking to me.

While I am happy to concede that the Reds very poor defensive structure allowed that, and that the Tahs will be a much tougher defensive nut to crack, I have to say that the Rebels ball-in-hand attacking play has just gone up a level this year.

And given the outstanding defensive ability the Rebels have developed, I suspect it will be just as difficult for the Tahs to crack our line as well.

I hate to say it, but I do see the potential need for a bit of kick to kick to gain some territory advantage, then reload via the set piece.

And to the Rebels supporters who boo every kick the Rebels make, please do understand that in the game of rugby, not every kick is a personal affront to you, your family and the wider community!

Sometimes it is a very specific strategic weapon. Just saying.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Very tough match for the Tahs, the Rebels do what the Tahs struggle against, the attack/flood the breakdown

It will be interesting to see how they cope, and whether they can keep their shape

Weren't allowed to do that against the Reds. It'll be interesting to see if the ref lets it go this week.

Bessa

Ted Fahey (11)
....... And given the outstanding defensive ability the Rebels have developed, I suspect it will be just as difficult for the Tahs to crack our line as well......

Not sure about this, in the last last 4 games the Rebels have leaked 16 points, then 22, followed by 25 and then even after winning on the weekend they still conceded 27 points. Seems that the defence is actually slipping a touch.

The points difference of both teams shows this as well the the Rebels PD on -42 and the Waratahs on +81.

I am fully aware that you can use stats to prove and disprove any theory, and being a Tah's fan, I have decided to use these to support my team.

Over to you.....

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Tahs actually have the best defence in the comp along with the Sharks. It's clearly the point of difference between the 2013 side and now. Full credit to Grey and whoever poached him.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Not sure about this, in the last last 4 games the Rebels have leaked 16 points, then 22, followed by 25 and then even after winning on the weekend they still conceded 27 points. Seems that the defence is actually slipping a touch.

The points difference of both teams shows this as well the the Rebels PD on -42 and the Waratahs on +81.

I am fully aware that you can use stats to prove and disprove any theory, and being a Tah's fan, I have decided to use these to support my team.

Over to you...
i agree the Rebels do seem to laak a few points, in those first three games mostly penalties, the canes despite a glut of posession only manged one, albeit wonderful, try. generally the defence in terms of tackles attempted/completed/missed and try's has been good this year. the opening 20 mins against the force and the 10 mins either side of halftime against the tahs have been the only bleak spots in my opinion.
this will be another tight game if the rebels can maintain the rage.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
T
And to the Rebels supporters who boo every kick the Rebels make, please do understand that in the game of rugby, not every kick is a personal affront to you, your family and the wider community!

They don't boo every kick, they boo when all the Rebels do is kick. The first 20 minutes of the Brumbies game is prime example.

As for kicking to the Tahs, it's a horrible idea. Have a better counter attacking back line than anyone at the moment. We kick it to them we lose be 20+ points.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Just had a panic attack when I saw Matt O'Brien on the Ref sheet but it's only as touch judge. Rohan Hoffmann has the honor of giving the Rebels back the Weary Dunlop Shield.

D

daz

Time to change yours seats Daz, only rugby fans in my area.

But I love my seats! I'll just work on getting the ferals to fuck off instead.

Any spare seats around your area I can divert them to?

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.