• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

They really do have a abundance of choices next year in Cirpriani, JOC (James O'Connor) and KB (Kurtley Beale)... Hilgendorf, Kingi and Huxley arent nobodies in the playmaking department either

I think the biggest issue for the Rebels will be finishers, apart from Cooper Vuna they are struggling a bit..

9. Phipps
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Vuna
12. Johannson
13. Inman
14. Cipriani
15. Beale

I personally like the look of that back-line due to the spread of size, play makers and speed, haven't seen much of Johannson in recent years, which remains the biggest question mark.
Im not fully convinced of Inman's ability yet either.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
They really do have a abundance of choices next year in Cirpriani, JOC (James O'Connor) and KB (Kurtley Beale)... Hilgendorf, Kingi and Huxley arent nobodies in the playmaking department either

I think the biggest issue for the Rebels will be finishers, apart from Cooper Vuna they are struggling a bit..

9. Phipps
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Vuna
12. Johannson
13. Inman
14. Cipriani
15. Beale

I personally like the look of that back-line due to the spread of size, play makers and speed, haven't seen much of Johannson in recent years, which remains the biggest question mark.
Im not fully convinced of Inman's ability yet either.

you're kidding right?

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
9. Phipps
10. Cipriani
11. Vuna
12. JOC (James O'Connor)
13. Mortlock
14. Gerrard
15. Beale

Inman and Johannson, at least this year, are insurance. Bench unless something happens to Stirlo, MG, or Huxley. They'll start in SR2013.

Cipriani will start at 10 all year. When he goes back to England at the end of the season, then JOC (James O'Connor) will take over, allowing someone like Inman to move in.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
If Cips wasn't playing ten, surely they would have ended his contract.

Inman should get slot of time, Gerrard and Mortlock are to slow, with Beale and JOC (James O'Connor) you need speedy men around them to finish, otherwise your going to waste the half breaks they make.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
My thinking with gerrard is that he is not a genuine speedster but has a fairly tidy set of hands and boot making him useful to clean up the back with beale. I have not seen much of inman so will base these mostly on what i've seen.

Pre Mortlock Injury

9 Phipps
10 DC
11 Vuna
12 JOC (James O'Connor)
13 Mortlock
14 Gerrard (used as a secondary fullback)
15 Beale

20. Kingi
21. Hilgendorf
22. Mitchell (can play wing and outside effectively, yet to see inman play too wide)

After mortlock breaks everything

9 Phipps
10 DC
11 Vuna
12 JOC (James O'Connor)
13 Gerrard
14 Mitchell
15 Beale

20. Kingi
21. Hilgendorf
22. Inman

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
My thinking with gerrard is that he is not a genuine speedster but has a fairly tidy set of hands and boot making him useful to clean up the back with beale. I have not seen much of inman so will base these mostly on what i've seen.

Pre Mortlock Injury

9 Phipps
10 DC
11 Vuna
12 JOC (James O'Connor)
13 Mortlock
14 Gerrard (used as a secondary fullback)
15 Beale

20. Kingi
21. Hilgendorf
22. Mitchell (can play wing and outside effectively, yet to see inman play too wide)

After mortlock breaks everything

9 Phipps
10 DC
11 Vuna
12 JOC (James O'Connor)
13 Gerrard
14 Mitchell
15 Beale

20. Kingi
21. Hilgendorf
22. Inman

Presumably these are two iterations of your offensive line up, MT. Would you care to have a go at nominating the defensive unit?

S

spooony

The Stormers have failed in the last couple of years because they have trouble scoring tries when it matters.
Sorry but I beg to differ. The stormers got into those positions because not much got thru and the ability to grind out away wins at crucial times during the competition. They made a semi final and a final. So not scoring tries couldnt be a factor.
In the final 2 things counted against us.
1. Being over confident after we murdered the Bulls earlier.
2. Playing the Bulls infront home support. I dont think the people realize how much their supporters can lift that team. Ive seen many a weaker Bulls side beat us thx to their support lifitng them. When you go there kill the crowd first. That means come out firing and hit them quick and keep it up cause the air is a bit thinner. Ask the Chiefs. They got hammered the Crusaders as well there

The semi final we lost because we were simply beaten by a better team with a better game plan. Ball retention is the key and you need to keep it. Our fwds did well but there is still holes.

My apoligies as I know this is the Rebels thread.
But I notice in the one post someone said you can have the best backline but not much of a pack wont get you anywhere. I notice theres a lot of backs thats been discussed. But who's going to win the balls for them. Who's going to secure possession? I have to go back to the Bulls once again. The Bulls always had one of the most boring backlines you could get. All the years with a speedy winger. But they have a monster of a pack that can keep and recycle possession. They did well with a great pack that had a huge amount of experience and a avg backline.

The forwards pack will again be targetted by the opponents as it clearly looks like the weak point of the team. Yet, Super rugby being not a game of forwards, the Rebels will have a go and, who knows what might happen. But they got murdered last year due to lack of ball. Penetration also played a part but one needs the other

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
I'm sorry but Mortlock is past it. Why can't he just be a bench option and a steadying influence around the camp? What's wrong with playing a mentor role like some of the veterans in the northern hemisphere and make some impact of the bench? We place to much emphasis on retiring up north or whilst 'we' are on top. Aus Rugby needs more players having full career here and retiring in the country.

Inman was having a breakout year in 2011 before his injury. Anyone who has seen him play for uni will realise that he is definitely super rugby standard. And I am not a uni supporter btw, I rather dislike them.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Agree on Mortlock. Some players play better in their twilight- how good have Adam Wallace-Harrison and Radike Samo been for the Reds.

Inman got injured about 10 minutes into the Force's second game. I'd hardly call that having a breakout year. Especially when he was pretty average against the Reds in round 1. He didn't really light up the field when he came back either, although that could just be him not being fully recovered. Size-wise the guy is a machine but he doesn't offer a lot else. He isn't fast and he hasn't shown any indication of a kicking game. Can't really comment on passing from memory. I think the Force are better off with Pat Dellit or Winston Stanley at 13. You might find yourselves better off with Gerrard at 13.

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
Well a 'breakout year' was certainly generous. I didn't realise he got injured so early. My thought was more along the line of it should have been the year he established himself. I think it was cross and him in the centres at the back end of the '10 season where he really looked a good prospect. I guess 2010 was when he got he most of his caps then. He must have got a couple.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
i think a few (including me) would prefer mortlock and the staff just accept that he is not up to starting standard anymore. playing only 50-60 minutes isn't good enough, especially if injuries strike during games.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Well a 'breakout year' was certainly generous. I didn't realise he got injured so early. My thought was more along the line of it should have been the year he established himself. I think it was cross and him in the centres at the back end of the '10 season where he really looked a good prospect. I guess 2010 was when he got he most of his caps then. He must have got a couple.

Yeah. I think he played only played 6 games last season so he must have played every game in 2010. He did look good in 2010.

T

TOCC

I dont know what it is, but the idea of 2 x 105kg centres(Inman and Johannson) with JOC (James O'Connor) and KB (Kurtley Beale) around them spells potential to me...

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
Do you all really believe Lloyd Johannson will play many games. He has disappeared in Italy and Japan for some time now and I'm not quite sure of its level.

Status
Not open for further replies.