• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Call their bluffs. Want to play loige at Parramatta Stadium? Go ahead. Want to earn big dollars without the pressure of behavioural expectations? Go to France or Japan.

Its very interesting how this season has changed the perspective of many regarding the backline. With the 'emergence' of Lealiifano, To'omua, Mogg, Godwin, Foley and Folau amongst others, I think it is fair to say that the Wallabies are no longer nearly as reliant on the three amigos as they have been in the previous few years.

This means that we can take the position of calling their bluffs, of letting them go to league if that is what they want. Because, no player should think that they are invaluable for the wallabies. Its already been reported that QC (Quade Cooper) has grown up for his exclusion from the Wallabies environment and I imagine the same would be true for his compatriots.

I am curious to see how this all plays out in future, but I agree that we are getting to the place in Australian rugby where we can afford a "no dickheads" policy across the board.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Want to earn big dollars without the pressure of behavioural expectations? Go to France or Japan.

Mate, it's the best national league in the world. I don't think you can run amuck.

They do let their props get away with some pretty large skinfolds but I think that's more the emphasis being placed on other things. Other than that their clubs are well run outfits.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Mate, it's the best national league in the world. I don't think you can run amuck.

They do let their props get away with some pretty large skinfolds but I think that's more the emphasis being placed on other things. Other than that their clubs are well run outfits.

I don't discount that, but part of me (and it's an assumption, having never visited France) feels that the sometimes extreme behavioural standards our sportsmen are subject to would probably be laughed at in a country like France.

The point remains, and it was expressed well by James Buchanan, that the unhealthy reliance we've had on these guys is coming to an end. The emperor has no clothes, BS won't be accepted and young coddled egos will need to grow up.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
So looks like KB (Kurtley Beale) is sitting out the highlanders match to continue rehab in Sydney. Wow...

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
two possibilities here one, this may be the clubs way of saying a further FU to the ARU. Clearly the rebels felt that KB (Kurtley Beale) was not and is not yet mentally fit enough to be playing and shouldn't have played against the lions. perhaps he did so against the advice of all the experts.

or he has made up his mind to go back to the tahs and has told the rebs to fuck off.

my feeling now is that it is time to get rid of him as well.

Reactions: Tex

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Out on the Cross at 5am after the match, clearly his rehab is going swimmingly.

The cover article about chasing the X-factor instead of excellence applies as much to the S15 teams as it does the Wallabies. If he is signed by the Rebels there had better be some clear and stringent behavioural codes applied to his contract, otherwise he's welcome to ply his trade elsewhere.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
The way I see it, JOC (James O'Connor) isn't a team player but doesn't really have off field problems. A couple minor incidents but no alcohol issues. Beale is a team player but has off field problems. Rebels want to keep the team player believing his off field problems are more fixable than JOC (James O'Connor)'s ego.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Earlier in the year, I thought the Rebels did not respect their jersey, their team or themselves. They were playing like they didn't want to be out there.
Since round 10, however, they have really won me back. They've been playing with a passion and drive that goes above and beyond what is expected of them. They've had a crack in every game and have become a great team that has beaten teams of greats. I really hope this continues into next year, they've become one of my favourites to watch.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
Culture is a much over used and misunderstood term in sport in my opinion.
However there has clearly been a culture change at the Rebels since the SA debacle .
Well done to all involved for a fantastic second half of the year.
Rebel for life !

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Beale had told the Rebels he was leaving 10 before they decided to 'dump him. Beale's manger:
"I have dealt with football clubs in three codes in this country and internationally and I can't remember encountering dealings such as this one.
The entire affair has been handled appallingly. From my perspective it became obvious there were certain individuals within the Rebels administration who appeared far more interested in making a name for themselves than creating a winning football organisation."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...od-in-beale-case/story-e6frg7o6-1226679287780

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
This coming from a player-manager with such a high reputation or ethical and transparent behavior - Melbourne Storm anyone?
On the other hand considering that he has dealt with the Melbourne Storm and hasn't experience anything like this in an organisation is pretty damning on the Rebels! ;) Who did the Rebels first recruit to be their CEO. That's right the Storm's CEO. The Rebels certainly have a track record of poor decisions.

Jokes aside, Rebels supporters need to go back to the start and look who has been at the top end of the franchise from the very start. A number of CEO's have come and gone. You're on your 3rd coach in 4 years. A group of high profile recuits went off the rails (Cipriani, JOC (James O'Connor) & Beale). The major backer has decided to pull the pin and hand the franchise to the VRU. You are acutely aware of all the issues. It can't be all Beale and JOC (James O'Connor)'s fault, but they make good scape goats.

Rebels supporters I'd recommend learning from the Tahs supporters mistakes. We accepted the BS that came out of headoffice for too long. It was only after hitting rock bottom that we revolted and some of the deadwood and poor decision makers were tossed out. Our team has been set back 5+ years because of that. We have the luxury of a relatively large base of rusted on fans to weather the tough times. Victoria isn't as fortunate. I am a strong supporter of the Rebels and I want rugby to thrive in the state. I would implore the Rebels fans to seek answers. Who has been at the top and helped make the decision from the very start? They need to be answerable to those desions. My gut feel is they shouldn't be involved with the franchise.

Why didn't he announce that Beale was not ever going to return before the Rebels if he knew 10 days ago?
He was still negotiating with the Tahs and wants the best deal for his client. I would expect most player mangers would do the same.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
You make good points.

I will gently suggest that Brian Waldron had the wool pulled over many people's eyes while he was at the Storm (if his own board and chairman couldn't smell a rat who else would?) and the Rebels rectified that situation quickly.

Coaches? Rod was only ever going to be in the post for a limited time, with a handover to Damian being planned from the outset.

Poor recruiting? Cipriani was an unmitigated failure and should answer for much of the destabilising that's happened in his time. The club needed a attraction and he wanted out of the UK spotlight. I agree that someone didn't do their due diligence, or the marketing side of the owners trumped common sense and the need to build a solid foundation.

I'm not discounting your points as they do point to an organisation not without some issues, but I don't think it's as terminal as you intimate. I am however, in no way connected to the club and can't offer any inside perspectives, so for all I know i've been fed a poo sandwich and haven't noticed.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
From someone who has been on the inside the basic problem with the Rebels has been trying to operate a start up sporting franchise that is privately owned with a complete lack of capital and a governing body willing you to fail from the start.
Also quite amazing that people who are successful business people in their own right can act so irrationally when on the Board of a sporting club.
If truth be known it is incredible that the club has lasted so far. It basically ran out of money before they had kicked a football in anger.
The model the club now has is what should have been in place from the start except that the ARU wanted to use someone else's money to grow the 5th Aussie franchise.
The club also now has an experienced Rugby CEO and the right style of Coach.
However the previous CEO saved the club from financial extinction and the previous coach developed some fantastic talent. The current management will benefit from their efforts and will not have to deal with the egos of an out of control Board supporting out of control players.

Ado Tornado

Allen Oxlade (6)
On the other hand considering that he has dealt with the Melbourne Storm and hasn't experience anything like this in an organisation is pretty damning on the Rebels! ;) Who did the Rebels first recruit to be their CEO. That's right the Storm's CEO. The Rebels certainly have a track record of poor decisions.

Jokes aside, Rebels supporters need to go back to the start and look who has been at the top end of the franchise from the very start. A number of CEO's have come and gone. You're on your 3rd coach in 4 years. A group of high profile recuits went off the rails (Cipriani, JOC (James O'Connor) & Beale). The major backer has decided to pull the pin and hand the franchise to the VRU. You are acutely aware of all the issues. It can't be all Beale and JOC (James O'Connor)'s fault, but they make good scape goats.

Rebels supporters I'd recommend learning from the Tahs supporters mistakes. We accepted the BS that came out of headoffice for too long. It was only after hitting rock bottom that we revolted and some of the deadwood and poor decision makers were tossed out. Our team has been set back 5+ years because of that. We have the luxury of a relatively large base of rusted on fans to weather the tough times. Victoria isn't as fortunate. I am a strong supporter of the Rebels and I want rugby to thrive in the state. I would implore the Rebels fans to seek answers. Who has been at the top and helped make the decision from the very start? They need to be answerable to those desions. My gut feel is they shouldn't be involved with the franchise.

He was still negotiating with the Tahs and wants the best deal for his client. I would expect most player mangers would do the same.

Isaac Moses credibility was shot the day he got suspended after being found guilty of his role in the systematic rorting at the Storm.

As for NSW, you got set back 5 years? Try 35. If I recollect correctly it was the Sydney and then NSW cheif exec who landed in the big house over the Concord stadium development kickbacks in the 80's. Since then the Tahs have been text book case study of infighting, back stabbing, political assasination and under-acheivment.

And you say this has all changed? Exactly what has changed? And you think that it's the supporters who have changed things?

You hired Cheika. And so far you have won nothing. Even got beaten by the poor old lowly Rebels. He hired Folau and I'll give him points for that. But that's it/

(Is it just me or has anyone else noted how much the bloke loves whinging and whining? Almost as much as he did as a player. Only now its the media listening to his complaining not just the refs and mothers rushing to cover their kids ears down at Coogee oval).

The only motivation he could possibly have for entering the fray over Beal was to endear himself to the Beale camp. Otherwise, why open your trap?

As for who runs the show in Melbourne. His name is Rob Clarke. He is an ARU appointee and has done something that no NSW official has ever known. He was CEO of a club that actually won a Super rugby title.

As for the Rebels as an organisation, I for one applaud their ethos and commitment to the grass rugby in this state. We se a lot more of the Rebels, players, officials and dev coaches in club land down here, than any club (premier or subbie) sees of the Tahs in Sydney.

Bottom line is that the burger boys are gone. And good luck to them where ever they go. We'll miss the class they bring to the side, but frankly at the price they were costing us on and off the field, we're way better off without them.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
If anything I think the Rebels are learning from the Force's mistakes in that you have to build a strong team rather than buy one. The Rebels played some of their most committed rugby without Beale or JOC (James O'Connor) and that is compelling.

Personally I think they are moving in the right direction by recruiting Burgess and Colby Fainga'a for example. These blokes are both talented yet humble and team players. Judging by how the twins conduct themselves I would say Colby has it in his genetic makeup.

Status
Not open for further replies.