• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilful

Larry Dwyer (12)
Sunday the 18th of March was awesome this year. Sunny day, good beer and a live rugby game mid afternoon!!
I don't have wife and kids and live in Richmond so Friday fixtures work for me. If you work until 5/5.30 would like to go home/relax before the game or check in with wife/husband and kids I don't see this as workable
Mostly Friday night fixtures works for me. But one or two Sunday afternoon games would have been appreciated, I'm not taking my 7 year old to a Friday night game.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I would love to see Kingi sent to France or even Japan for a year and taught to play 10. In fact, maybe he already could.

The French use a 9/10 effectively, why can't we? It adds depth to a game plan and options to a playing roster.

Imagine a dynamic line-up of:
9.Phipps (who is performing admirably for the Wallabies, so I don't understand how G&Gers don't rate him as a starting Super Rugby player)
10. Kingi
12. J'OC
13. Inman
14. Vuna
15. Beale

I can understand why a coach wouldn't play this team, it's obviously flawed and when things go wrong they'd go WRONG. But they'd be so much fun to watch.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
debatable, neither are future test stars

I could see McKibbon starring for Scotland one day. I was rooting for him to make the move as I love his attitude.

I'm sure he has his reasons but it would have made me happy. Pretty selfish McKibbon.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Give O'Connor a roving role, similar to Ioane.

It could work but I see O'Connor as a better ball player in the traditional sense and far less of an out-and-out weapon (like Ioane).

To me JO'C is not a blind winger but if you HAD to give him a roaming role FB would be a better option.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I'd take Kingi over McKibbon every single time.
Definately not McKibbon has ticker and doesnt shy from getting down and dirty ( iwould say thats the former flanke rin him coming out0. Kingi gives up when the going gets tough.

JOC (James O'Connor) wouldn't be suited to the roaming fullback role, his greatest asset is that fact he takes the ball to the line so well before each pass hence defensive lines never knwo whether he will take it him self or dish it on. I understand he can still do this at fullback but i think you will find that the width he provides for his outside players will be nullfied if he has to keep ghosting in from 15. So 12/13 i think is JOC (James O'Connor)'s best spot.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Inman and O'Connor are good foils for each other.

A centre combo of Mitchel and Inman has a tonne of hustle and will work their asses off, but it's not exactly creative.

Mitchell was creative enough last season to find the holes regularly enough, plus his defense is so underrated and really stands out when you watch replays of the games. In two seasons he has only missed one game and works harder than anyone. It's what we need, a work horse who never gives up in the middle of the park.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Mitchell was creative enough last season to find the holes regularly enough, plus his defense is so underrated and really stands out when you watch replays of the games. In two seasons he has only missed one game and works harder than anyone. It's what we need, a work horse who never gives up in the middle of the park.

I get your point but his defence and workmanlike attack are handy elsewhere (on the wing and fb at a pinch) but you want the ball in JO'C's hands regularly, the easiest way for that to happen is at 12.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I get your point but his defence and workmanlike attack are handy elsewhere (on the wing and fb at a pinch) but you want the ball in JO'C's hands regularly, the easiest way for that to happen is at 12.

JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 did not work, name the game where he was effective in the Centers??? Mitchell played his best rugby at 12 this year.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
JOC (James O'Connor) only looked good taking on the defensive, stepping through. in an individual manner, lacked any general creativity.

He doesn't offer a hard running inside centre optiion, similar to McCabe either. Mitchell can do that, he's better all round centre.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 did not work, name the game where he was effective in the Centers??? Mitchell played his best rugby at 12 this year.

How many games did JOC (James O'Connor) even put together this year? I don't think many of them were even at 12.

Mitchell played his best rugby on the wing in 2010 and was honestly pretty ineffective in the centres. In 2012 he was obviously very good at 12, but pretty good on the wing also. In 2013 who knows?

JOC (James O'Connor) only looked good taking on the defensive, stepping through. in an individual manner, lacked any general creativity.

He doesn't offer a hard running inside centre optiion, similar to McCabe either. Mitchell can do that, he's better all round centre.

They have a hard running centre, Inman. It doesn't matter whether your runner is at 12 or 13, it's just important you have one, from there you build your systems around it.

Two hard running centres and no ball runners is more often than not unsuccessful (the Rebels do not have people who are gifted at both like the ABs). Two hard nosed centres like Mitchell/Inman whilst solid on defence will not offer the consistent penetration to score points. They may win sometimes when all things go right on the defensive front but more often than not, they won't.

Mitchell is a better centre than JOC (James O'Connor)? I'm out of this thread.

I agree, I think it's silly to suggest otherwise. For all his work ethic and spirit there's a reason Mitchell is a borderline Super rugby player and JO'C is someone the Wallabies are desperate to get into playing shape.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)

Totally agree, O'Connor should play in positions that he will be picked internationally. McCabe made O'Connor lock very average at 12 last season, look at the current 12's internationally and tell me would you line O'Connor against SBW, Nonu, Tuilagi, De Villers or De Jongh.

O'Connor at 10 if Beale stays at 15 (Most likely what will end up happening)

If Beale is at 10 O'Connor will have his most positive influence on the game running the ball with space in front of him so at 15, although with the Kiwi it could end up wing. The Rebels should be able to field the strongest backline they have had in two season and would really benefit if O'Connor played as that speedy winger they lack and still have not signed. Mitchell on the wing does not offer much different to Vuna, where you look at the Reds wings they play completely different styles and it makes them hard to defend.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
How many games did JOC (James O'Connor) even put together this year? I don't think many of them were even at 12.

Mitchell played his best rugby on the wing in 2010 and was honestly pretty ineffective in the centres. In 2012 he was obviously very good at 12, but pretty good on the wing also. In 2013 who knows?
In 2011, he played on the wing mostly, wasn't in the starting XV at times, due to most of the veterans etc.

A problem with JOC (James O'Connor) is, at the Force he played at 10, 12 & 15.

Mitchell played at 13 for his previous club, Wasps.

I agree, I think it's silly to suggest otherwise. For all his work ethic and spirit there's a reason Mitchell is a borderline Super rugby player and JO'C is someone the Wallabies are desperate to get into playing shape.
In 2011, JOC (James O'Connor) played all his games for the Wobbles on the wing (except at fullback against Russia).

If you look at the games where we have been most "successful" in 2012 (Bulls/Crusaders/Force in May), we had a 10/12 combo of Beale & Mitchell. However, JOC (James O'Connor) was injured.

Borderline? Really?

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
JOC (James O'Connor) didnt have his best season last year but seasons gone by he proved he can mix it up with the best centres. In regards to all the worlds best centres being big. I think we need to take a step back and look at Brian O'Driscoll. Best centre in the world for a decade and size was never and issue. Ant Fainga'a and Ben Tapuai proved size isnt an issue when they mixed it with SBW and Fruen.

It's alll about what game plan you want to play and i think if you want someone like Inman at 13 you need someone like JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 otherwise drop Inamn and move out JOC (James O'Connor) caus ehe is a centre through and through.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
In 2011, he played on the wing mostly, wasn't in the starting XV at times, due to most of the veterans etc.

A problem with JOC (James O'Connor) is, at the Force he played at 10, 12 & 15.

Mitchell played at 13 for his previous club, Wasps.

In 2011, JOC (James O'Connor) played all his games for the Wobbles on the wing (except at fullback against Russia).

If you look at the games where we have been most "successful" in 2012 (Bulls/Crusaders/Force in May), we had a 10/12 combo of Beale & Mitchell. However, JOC (James O'Connor) was injured.

Borderline? Really?

To say Mitchell is a borderline starting player is not ridiculous, in 2011 he obviously was and I don't think he started every game on 2012 even with the injury toll (though by the end of the season nobody was saying he shouldn't).

The Crusaders played pretty well with Carter at 12 for a few games this year. Should the ABs employ this? No. Why? Because just because playing a guy out of position is the right choice sometimes doesn't mean it is all of the time (i.e. JOC (James O'Connor) at wing).

It's an open book that JO'C should be a 10, 12, 15, or even 13 but he's certainly not a wing at Super rugby level and probably not one at test level either unless the particular situation requires it.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
JOC (James O'Connor) didnt have his best season last year but seasons gone by he proved he can mix it up with the best centres. In regards to all the worlds best centres being big. I think we need to take a step back and look at Brian O'Driscoll. Best centre in the world for a decade and size was never and issue. Ant Fainga'a and Ben Tapuai proved size isnt an issue when they mixed it with SBW and Fruen.

It's alll about what game plan you want to play and i think if you want someone like Inman at 13 you need someone like JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 otherwise drop Inamn and move out JOC (James O'Connor) caus ehe is a centre through and through.

As you can guess, I am a massive O'Driscoll fan. As a Irish fan though I have to say he has not had the impact in the Southern Hemisphere as the North. It's one thing dominating in the 6 nations for years on end, even against the Wallabies in last years World Cup. But look at the effect the Irish centers made this year in New Zealand or the 6 nations, they were unable to break the line and have a impact.

The role of the centers has changed this O'Driscoll started, yes his combination with Darcy over the years has been good. But in modern day rugby would you really have this as your center combination. Or would you have Bowe who runs hard next to O'Driscoll?

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Dont use this year as an excuse O'Driscoll And D'arcy are 33 years old and need new hammies. In years gone by those two kept Ireland in games agaisnt the southern hemisphere teams. So much so O'driscol was taken out of a game while playign for the lions against NZ.

If i could give them 25 year old bodies i would take them. Same as the mortlock/Giteau combo. I don't want to play 2 flyhalves but i want a 12 who does have good ball playing skills. Its not league where we just play two big lumps who can run a little bit faster than our flankers.

I understand SBW is good but NZ play to his strengths Aus doesnt have some one of that size and skill, but we have soem dynamic small 12s why not play to that strength.

lastly with the rebels forward pack they have assembled for this year i dotn think go forward will be a problem. Your wont need someone to crash at that 12/13 as you have that in Higginbotham and Inman.

Gameplans should be built around the strength of the players in your team not in someone elses......

Status
Not open for further replies.