• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Keep as in always? or keep as in this year with every other position?

But those 12s were the best players in OZ before injury (Tapuai & Lealifano)

You cant tell me that a centre combination of Lealifano/McCabe or Tapuai/McCabe Doesnt tickle your fancy?

Now in rebels terms that JOC (James O'Connor) and Inman i like it.

But it is noted that JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale are your only viable 5/8 options so i doubt it will happen

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I really don't get the manlove for Mitchell. He's the very definition of a workmanlike player. He tries hard, but isn't particularly fast or particularly strong. Makes some horrendous defensive reads when he plays on the wing, but is a solid one-on-one tackler. Makes plenty of half-breaks but never quite manages to bust through. He's an average Supe player, and there's nothing wrong with that. With everyone fully fit, he'll be lucky to make the starting XV.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
By keep getting broken I was referring to multiple injuries amongst JOC (James O'Connor), Tapuai and Lealiifano this year.

If Lealo has a good season next year, I'd give him a crack at 10. I think he is a much better option than JOC (James O'Connor).

I think the centre pairing is not that simple. McCabe is continuing to improve at 12 and whilst I also like the idea of him at 13, he's been doing well. He is such a strong defender that he adds strength to our line there.

15 coming into the line as a second playmaker is a viable option now and the ABs do it successfully with Dagg.

I hope Tapuai has an injury free season next year because I think with form and fitness there is a space for him in the Wallabies. I'm no more convincend that he should be 12 and McCabe 13 than converting Tapuai to 13 and keeping McCabe at 12. Both options have upsides.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
On a more rebels related note and braveheart as a nsw man you may have thought son this...but watching the shute shield this year and somge games super games this year i really think that Stirzaker>Phipps definately should be startign ahead of him by 2014

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't disagree. Phipps needs to improve a lot on his 2012 form.

Phipps was excellent in 2011 though so I certainly think he is a capable player.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
On a more rebels related note and braveheart as a nsw man you may have thought son this.but watching the shute shield this year and somge games super games this year i really think that Stirzaker>Phipps definately should be startign ahead of him by 2014
I think most of us thought that, especially getting towards the end of the season this year. Probably the best example was when Stirzaker got about 30 minutes at the end of the Rebels - Stormers game and really took it on. Made a break and offload that set up a try, chased down Deon Fourie (I think?) off a clean linebreak, hit players with great passes straight off the deck and generally took excellent options. If he keeps going like he has been, he should overtake Phipps next year.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
On a more rebels related note and braveheart as a nsw man you may have thought son this.but watching the shute shield this year and somge games super games this year i really think that Stirzaker>Phipps definately should be startign ahead of him by 2014
Depends, he'll have plenty of time to hopefully flourish as the Wallabies half-back. Likewise for Beale at fly-half (more than likely).

Could work in favour of Stirzaker though, as Phipps might need a break after a big season (think of Beale in 2011/2012).

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Dont use this year as an excuse O'Driscoll And D'arcy are 33 years old and need new hammies. In years gone by those two kept Ireland in games agaisnt the southern hemisphere teams. So much so O'driscol was taken out of a game while playign for the lions against NZ.

If i could give them 25 year old bodies i would take them. Same as the mortlock/Giteau combo. I don't want to play 2 flyhalves but i want a 12 who does have good ball playing skills. Its not league where we just play two big lumps who can run a little bit faster than our flankers

Not using this year, I will use every year. Ireland have never beaten the All Blacks, even with O'Driscoll, O'Connell, O'Gara, Stringer, Darcy all in there 20's they did not pull it off.

mortlock/Giteau combo? Really, I love Mortlock's style of play. But name the trophy this combo ever helped the Wallabies win?

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I don't disagree. Phipps needs to improve a lot on his 2012 form.

Phipps was excellent in 2011 though so I certainly think he is a capable player.

Phipps attacking form was good enough in 2012, his defense was poor and had way to many missed tackles.

Any word on Saffy and his recovery. Would be my starting 7 with Jones as cover for 2nd row and back row with King a option as well we have a very strong amount of line out options.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Or Delve at 8, Higgers at 7.

Doubt we'll have a quality fetcher next season. One of the weak points we've discussed before.
I'd prefer Higgers at 8, if only because I think it will be more useful for Australian rugby having him playing at 6/8. I think Jones is too good to be on the bench, led the Rebels for tackles and had the highest tackle average for the competition from memory - something like 16 per game.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'd prefer Higgers at 8, if only because I think it will be more useful for Australian rugby having him playing at 6/8. I think Jones is too good to be on the bench, led the Rebels for tackles and had the highest tackle average for the competition from memory - something like 16 per game.

Delve lead the Rebels for tackles, 187 tackles 14th in the comp. Saffy had the most tackles in 2011.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Delve lead the Rebels for tackles, 187 tackles 14th in the comp. Saffy had the most tackles in 2011.
Fair enough, I must have remembered wrong. Still think Jones offers more around the ground, including the lineout, and has a greater upside than Saffy. Do we even know if Saffy is going to play again yet?

kronic

John Solomon (38)
No word on Saffy, last is that he's training, that's about it. I recall correctly, due for a scan to confirm his career next month.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Fair enough, I must have remembered wrong. Still think Jones offers more around the ground, including the lineout, and has a greater upside than Saffy. Do we even know if Saffy is going to play again yet?

I think if Saffy is fit he is the best option at 7, as for line outs we would still have 4 options on the field with Saffy. Jones is good, but But Delve is best at 8 meaning Higgers is at 6. Have not really seen him play 7 to often.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
If saffy is fit the rebels can put out a pretty decent XV (may have stuffed up the props):

PAE
Robinson
Weeks
Neville
Pyle
Higgers
Saffy
Delve
Stirzaker
Beale
Vuna
JOC (James O'Connor)
Inman
Mitchell/Kingi
Woodward

The pack will be workmanlike and strong in the lineout, the backs creative in the middle and strong and fast on the fringes - a little bit like the McQueen era wallabies.

Dont be surprised to see a few different blokes tried on wing. I think the rebels will be looking for a real speed demon.

Status
Not open for further replies.