• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
No Saffy? Que?
:) Just eliciting some thoughts. Saffy is a solid enough player and the posts above from enforcer and qwerty do make some sense. He probably does get first shot but I don't think he's really a seven and the combination to me looks unbalanced. The Rebels have 6/8 cover coming out of their ears but young Fugistaller is a 7 prospect who may be what's needed - would like to see him get a go.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Fuglistaller is less of a fetcher than Saffy. He's a ball runner. Saffy's a defensive workhorse who gets his hands on the pill.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Jones said to a friend of mine, he wants to play blindside.

Obviously what the team wants is paramount though.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
It's pretty obvious imo.

Higginbotham is the incumbent Wallaby 6. He goes there.
Delve is your captain and has been very good at 8 for the past 2 seasons. Why change it.
Saffy and Fuglistaller fight it out for the 7 and first shot goes to Saffy.

Jones should be playing at lock, he's better than Neville.
Good joke bro.
But if you actually watched any games last season you would see that anything neville produced was head and shoulders above what Jones served up and the dominant displays Neville put in for Manly in the shute shield jones could only dream about doing.
No to say Jones wont get better than neville but currently jones can't even touch him.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
It's pretty obvious imo.

Delve is your captain and has been very good at 8 for the past 2 seasons. Why change it.

Because Higgenbotham was hired as an 8 and Hill has been on record saying that is where he will play.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
It's pretty obvious imo.

How can you use the past as logic for some of your points and not for others?

For starters, if you use the Wallabies as your proof that Higgers should play 6 then how come the Wallabies don't factor into Jones' hypothetical selection over Neville?

In my opinion Jones is a true 6. Basically a smaller and slightly more athletic lock. Sometimes you find a man of his size who's meant to play lock (like Brad Thorn) but I don't believe Jones is one of those men. Keep him on the side of the scrum where we can maximise his contributions as high work rate player who's the 3rd lineout jumper.

Fuglistaller is less of a fetcher than Saffy. He's a ball runner. Saffy's a defensive workhorse who gets his hands on the pill.

Really? Saffy has no pilfering presence but obviously has a huge defensive workload. In this sense he's kind of a 7, but certainly not of the fetcher mould.

Fuglistaller is very much a pilfering 7 and is not the best ball runner in the world. Did you watch ITM Cup? Maybe you watched some of the games that Wellington ran rampid (which wouldn't be the best example). In the tight games his ball running for ineffective but his work rate was good and his ruck presence was decent.

All in all, I think he wasn't picked up in NZ for a reason. Both the Highlanders and Hurricanes have had a decent look and neither picked him up. He's a solid journeyman backup and not much more.

jordy reid = 7 that may also be thrown in the mix

Yeah, but technically he could only make it through injuries. However, this didn't stop the Brums running Fardy and Mogg all of last season so who knows.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
See the VRU thread.

Pity that it's year 3 and we are one born and bred players poorer than the year before.

I don't expect to see 25 Victorians turning out for the Rebels but the Force progressed more quickly in this regard with a similar talent pool.

Recruit more locals! I want to see at least 5 in the squad with at least 2 in the EPS at any given time!

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Seriously, here's a run down of some of the Victorian players who could play Rebels as soon as 2013 (though some are unlikely I will still list them).

EPS potential players form the article above: Kemu Valetini, Siotame Kavapalu, Moli Sooaemalelagi, Niua Puaka, Junior Laloifi, Bill Valetini and Pat Toeta.

EPS potential players off the top of my head: David Hardisty, Jack de Guingand, Nathan Palia, Rex Tapuai, Allan Faalavaau.

Full contract potential: Digby Ione, Ben Tapui, Siliva Siliva, Ole Avei, Barry Faamausili, Eddie Maka, Tala Grey.

Obviously not all of these blokes are realistically going to come to the Rebels and some of them might never live up to their potential.

However, is it ridiculous to expect a couple by 2013 and 5 by 2015? Hell, there will be new blokes on the scene by 2015.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Seriously, here's a run down of some of the Victorian players who could play Rebels as soon as 2013 (though some are unlikely I will still list them).

EPS potential players form the article above: Kemu Valetini, Siotame Kavapalu, Moli Sooaemalelagi, Niua Puaka, Junior Laloifi, Bill Valetini and Pat Toeta.

EPS potential players off the top of my head: David Hardisty, Jack de Guingand, Nathan Palia, Rex Tapuai, Allan Faalavaau.

Full contract potential: Digby Ione, Ben Tapui, Siliva Siliva, Ole Avei, Barry Faamausili, Eddie Maka, Tala Grey.

Obviously not all of these blokes are realistically going to come to the Rebels and some of them might never live up to their potential.

However, is it ridiculous to expect a couple by 2013 and 5 by 2015? Hell, there will be new blokes on the scene by 2015.

Any idea how he is going at Toulouse? I've seen him in passing and he looks an absolute monster.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Any idea how he is going at Toulouse? I've seen him in passing and he looks an absolute monster.

He is a monster. I've heard many a French commentator rave about him in the telecast but I haven't seen a game that he's really done anything (because in the ones I've seen he only gets the last 5).

They must be talking about him for a reason though. I'd be sure good to get him home before he gets offered a cap by Tonga.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
agree with enforcer. the commentators talk about his size but in the top14 games i have seen he has been servicable coming off the bench without being a standout, but he is only 19 afterall.
laloifi and faalavaau are in the 7's program, hardisty trialled but they picked stirzaker ahead of him, i believe they tried VERY hard to get bothy tapui brothers 2 years ago. not all the home grown talent wants to play down here and that which is available may just not be good enough (yet)

kronic

John Solomon (38)
It's a cultural thing from what I understand. Most of these boys have islander backgrounds, where loyalty is highly valued.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
agree with enforcer. the commentators talk about his size but in the top14 games i have seen he has been servicable coming off the bench without being a standout, but he is only 19 afterall.
laloifi and faalavaau are in the 7's program, hardisty trialled but they picked stirzaker ahead of him, i believe they tried VERY hard to get bothy tapui brothers 2 years ago. not all the home grown talent wants to play down here and that which is available may just not be good enough (yet)

I really doubt they tried to get Rex, he's played for Box Hill for stints in the last 5 years and he's currently an unpayed player training with the Reds. If he's willing to come to Vic for club he'd be willing for Super Rugby surely.

As for the rest good points but I really doubt you can't squeeze 2 EPS player and a full player out of the squad list I've named, from there it's about retaining them and looking for more.

I think we should launch an official campaign, 5 Victorian Rebels by 2015.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
What have the Rebels done over pre season, have they an equivalent to the Reds College, Wider Training Group or NSW's Invited Guests?

Last year the Rebels had a few and some played for the Rebel Rising, or are they seeking local players.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
I think we should launch an official campaign, 5 Victorian Rebels by 2015.
If it doesn't improve next season, I'm sure our crew would be up for this. Need to tip toe around it though, don't want to come across as xenophobes.

I already cop enough, calling Rebels' supporters turncoats, for switching to their NZ provincial team when they are in town. TBH though, f**k them.

Status
Not open for further replies.