• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

he was given a 5 yr. contract after 1 match.... We might be able to get him back when he is 26 :/

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Edwin Maka has signed with Toulouse until 2017.

Damn, but as I said a few of the guys I listed are unlikely. Eddie Maka more serves as an example of what could be if we started getting guys into the EPS.

From another perspective, contracts are broken all the time.

What have the Rebels done over pre season, have they an equivalent to the Reds College, Wider Training Group or NSW's Invited Guests?

Last year the Rebels had a few and some played for the Rebel Rising, or are they seeking local players.

Some players train with them, but I don't think it's been given an official name like the Reds College.

If it doesn't improve next season, I'm sure our crew would be up for this. Need to tip toe around it though, don't want to come across as xenophobes.

I already cop enough, calling Rebels' supporters turncoats, for switching to their NZ provincial team when they are in town. TBH though, f**k them.

Agreed, it's not like it's something I'm obsessed with but it is frustrating for us not to promote local talent.

Even from a financial perspective local talent is appealing, you don't need to set them up with a car and a house like some of the Syd/Brissy folk.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
agree i would like to see more homegrown talent in the rebels setup, but they are actively encouraging the rebel rising group and perhaps next year the eps will have some genuine Vics in it. of the currently available talent playing elsewhere, all have either resigned with their franchises recently or were on contract or perhaps not what the locals were after. does anyone know why johannson was cut, especially for sidey ?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
agree i would like to see more homegrown talent in the rebels setup, but they are actively encouraging the rebel rising group and perhaps next year the eps will have some genuine Vics in it. of the currently available talent playing elsewhere, all have either resigned with their franchises recently or were on contract or perhaps not what the locals were after. does anyone know why johannson was cut, especially for sidey ?

Talent wise Sidey and Johannson are pretty evenly matched but in terms of athleticism and injury history Sidey is much better, so you could say his potential is better.

Plus Sidey covers 12-14 and Lloyd covers only 12. This is of course personal opinion and at it's core I do believe them to be basically similarly talent players.

I was told yesterday, that the reason Melbourne Lesa wasn't picked up, is due to personal agendas.

What's the agenda?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
agree i would like to see more homegrown talent in the rebels setup,
I note that Peter Samu who played for Victoria Colts a couple of years ago is running around with the Waratahs as part of the invited players group.

He's a good player at no. 8 and was voted the 2012 Randwick Player of the Year.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Crasher. Hotter. On this evidence why would a young bloke even look at going to Uni?

............what?

I note that Peter Samu who played for Victoria Colts a couple of years ago is running around with the Waratahs as part of the invited players group.

He's a good player at no. 8 and was voted the 2012 Randwick Player of the Year.

There we go, yet another bloke who could do with an EPS crack.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
They're not that flash, no more than any other team. Toulouse has probably banked on the notion that his size is enough to mould into whatever they want. Vis a vis Australian clubs who want some skills as well.

Ah. It helps that he comes from the most influential family in Tongan rugby.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
Ah. It helps that he comes from the most influential family in Tongan rugby.

True... The Maka brothers are quite influencial in Toulouse where they have played many years.
For what I've seen so far from Edwin Maka, he is REALLY big but have no pace or skills... lots of work to do on him

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Got my pack today, so much garbage. Wish you could opt out and let the club reinvest it elsewhere, eg. grassroots.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'm pretty sure it's him, can't see archived rugbynews issues any more so can't prove it but others have mentioned it before.

Fair enough, he was very flashy in the 2011 Aus Schools tournament. There's some really impressive footage floating around of him dominating down the wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.