• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere. I may have missed it (and I did miss Freier's five on Friday). Lachie Mitchell played his 48th Super Rugby game for the Rebels on Friday. This took him past Nick Phipps as the most capped player for the Rebels. Congrats Lachie.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'll write it off as a bit of media shit-stirring for now, but the prospect of Hugh Pyle looking overseas for his playing future is a scary one. You gotta test the market, but I think he wants that gold jesery. Given the article only gives it a few lines and focuses mainly on Kane Douglas, I wouldn't be too frightened.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...xplore-overseas/story-e6frg7o6-1226858524532#

If he was money hungry the smart move would be to get 3 or 4 caps in a test season then bugger off.

I doubt he's gone just yet, it's certainly not ridiculous to suggest he could be in the World Cup squad.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Is he eligible for any other nation?

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

Not that I've heard.

A google search says his surname is English in origin and most of them came over a very long time ago, though obviously there's exceptions and he's got a whole other side of the family.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
If he was money hungry the smart move would be to get 3 or 4 caps in a test season then bugger off.

I doubt he's gone just yet, it's certainly not ridiculous to suggest he could be in the World Cup squad.

Based on the article wit Baden Stephenson this morning they are in negotiations with all uncontested players to renew deals. I would assume this includes Hugh. Bring they placed him in the leadership group this year I dare say they are keen to keep him.

Article here: http://melbournerebels.com.au/news/article/planning-for-2015-retention-recruitment

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Weeks and Woodward out.

MELBOURNE will be without key pair Jason Woodward and Laurie Weeks for Friday night’s Weary Dunlop Shield clash with NSW after the pair failed to recover from injury.
Fullback Woodward (knee) and prop Weeks (concussion) were ruled out after a series of tests. Both were sidelined at training on Wednesday.
Weeks is likely to be replaced by Paul Alo-Emile in the starting XV, paving the way for Cruze Ah-Nau to make his first Super Rugby appearance of the season from the bench.
Woodward’s absence will probably be covered by Angus Roberts with either Tom Kingston or Japanese international Male Sau being promoted to the bench.
With high stakes clashes in the offing against the Brumbies, Highlanders and reigning champions, the Chiefs, Melbourne is desperate to end a two-game losing run.
The Rebels have won only one of six clashes against NSW, having claimed an epic 24-22 victory at AAMI Park last season.
And they will start Friday’s match as rank underdog against a crack Waratahs’ outfit eager to atone for its loss to the Brumbies last week.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Good article on Tamati on news.com.au:

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/...links-to-the-nfl/story-fndptz3t-1226860507971

The article does highlight the fact that Tamati is expected to go after a year to chase the All Black dream for the 2015 world cup (and good on him for doing so). Given that Lilo will be out of contract at the end of 2014 I think we should start to chase him and see if he'll come 'home'. He would be a very good option to cover kicking, the classic 2nd five option for Bryce (and a good mentor) and a solid runner. Maybe we could revert to a Inman/Kingston centre pairing for the future as Inman has been looking good a bit closer to the action this season.

No doubt the Pones will pursue hard to keep him, but you never know in the big bad world. I'd like us to have a good go at it.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Good article on Tamati on news.com.au:

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/...links-to-the-nfl/story-fndptz3t-1226860507971

The article does highlight the fact that Tamati is expected to go after a year to chase the All Black dream for the 2015 world cup (and good on him for doing so). Given that Lilo will be out of contract at the end of 2014 I think we should start to chase him and see if he'll come 'home'. He would be a very good option to cover kicking, the classic 2nd five option for Bryce (and a good mentor) and a solid runner. Maybe we could revert to a Inman/Kingston centre pairing for the future as Inman has been looking good a bit closer to the action this season.

No doubt the Pones will pursue hard to keep him, but you never know in the big bad world. I'd like us to have a good go at it.

yes i think luring leallifano home would be a very good idea

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Lilo, Tapuai, Giteau and K. Hunt are all blokes I would be disappointed if we hadn't had at least a "How would you feel about coming down to Melbourne to play?"

The chance of securing all of them is 0%, and a miniscule bit above zero for 3, but if you grabbed 2 of them, say Lilo and Taps, you could play:

9. Burgess
10. Lilo
11. Kingston
12. Taps
13. English
14. Woodward
15. Hegarty

21. Stirzaker
22. Inman/Mitchell
23. Veanui/Mitchell

But I'm looking too far ahead. Go Rebs! Beat those Tahs.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
And of the non polynesian players there is not to many who are actually Melbourne grown.

I can put up my hand as one of them, much like yourself @kevino. In my time at Box Hill there were only a few; we mainly had a lot of kiwi, pom, saffa and polynesian players. All a good mix that made a good team back in my day (god I sound old).

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
There is a huge polynesian community down here, yes.
And of the non polynesian players there is not to many who are actually Melbourne grown.

the non PI contingent do come from many lands, but at uni i know there are a lot of dinky-di aussie kids, from australian parents, who learned their rugby locally. but of course we now have many from it looks like tonga and samoa, the fijians all having gone to Box Hill and Powerhouse ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.