• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
You would not be the only one Tex.

Almost Hilariously, Rokobaro's probably gonna get his go after all, given the ridiculous amount of injuries to our backline.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
I think Shota should start too.

Looking into the future a bit (5 weeks), Japan's Asian 5 Nations campaign kicks off on 3rd May. I assume that means we will lose both Shota and Male.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think Shota should start too.

Looking into the future a bit (5 weeks), Japan's Asian 5 Nations campaign kicks off on 3rd May. I assume that means we will lose both Shota and Male.
Doubt it. It not in a test window so clubs don't need to release their players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
You really think that Shota and Male would have signed contracts preventing them from playing any and all Japan fixtures?

It would be a pretty dog move not to release them too. The pinnacle of the game is international tests. I reckon Eddie (Tonga) and Alex (Fiji) will get released as well.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
You really think that Shota and Male would have signed contracts preventing them from playing any and all Japan fixtures?

It would be a pretty dog move not to release them too. The pinnacle of the game is international tests. I reckon Eddie (Tonga) and Alex (Fiji) will get released as well.

You think a club would sign up players who they will lose at random times of the season? no

Players know that their club teams only have to release them during the international windows June and November.

Reason Japan players aren't playing in club rugby is because the japan comp has finished.

You think any of the Japanese Fiji or Tongan players who are playing in France are going to be released to play a second tier comp in the middle of the season........no chance.

It's highly unlikely they will play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
the european season will be over by mid may, last round Top 14 is may 3, so the foreign legions playing in France are probably available if wanted. i don't recall shota being released for the Asian 5 nations last year and Japan usually dominate with their second string up and comers anyway.

don't think anyone from the phillipines, hong kong, korea or UAE are playing super rugby ;)

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
EDIT: I'm sorry, I confused the Asian 5 Nations with the Pacific cup.

Yeah, no we don't release them for That.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
EDIT: I'm sorry, I confused the Asian 5 Nations with the Pacific cup.

Yeah, no we don't release them for That.

yes for the june internationals they all get a release, but not for the A5N or i think for the Pacific Cup

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Whilst it's sad news for the Rebels and Australian rugby, it's probably a pretty good time for Hugh as a 25 year old to go and live in France or similar for a couple of years and have that experience.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Whilst it's sad news for the Rebels and Australian rugby, it's probably a pretty good time for Hugh as a 25 year old to go and live in France or similar for a couple of years and have that experience.
yeah returning to the rebs as a 28-29 yo mightn't be that bad ;)

Tex

Greg Davis (50)

To summarise: Hugh Pyle announced his departure from the club at season's end to play in Europe.

Not quite sure where to start.

Bad news for the Rebels to lose a solid player like Hugh.

I'm not sure whether it's a kick in the teeth for rugby in general though.

None of us can do more than speculate about the man as a person. Who knows, maybe he's pragmatic about his future and doesn't hold the national team up as a goal?

Can't say I wish him all the best. I wish him most of the best, but hope he comes back to Aus while he has something to offer to the game here.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Maybe he's talked to McKenzie and he's simply not in frame.

Theoretically, Horwill, Simmons, Douglas and Fardy are all ahead of him. Jones is the form lock/6 outside those 4, and Skeltons likely to be right up the arse of a few this time next year.

This does create issues for the Rebs though, with a pair of locks needed for next year. Mark Chisholm is the only uncontracted aussie I know of overseas. And who would fill a younger slot, either in the main squad or replacing Jeffries in the EPS. Do we use a foreign spot? Etc.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Battye has been told he isnt required at the Force next year he is a good player i just dont think Foley and him got on he could be good for you guys.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
He should have been capped last year on EOYT. Ireland Wales and Scotland sides will all be keen for him to join them. Can't see him playing in England. Most likely money factor of France

Sent from my LG-E975K using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I certainly wouldn't mind plonking him in Edinburgh on a 3 year deal. But there's no European rugby there.

I reckon it's France, unless one of the English sides already has their claws in.

D

daz

Yep, absolutely agree. As much as losing Hugh will be a big loss for the Rebels (and Australian rugby), the fact is that it is the nature of the professional sporting beast; people come and people go.

I would never hold a grudge against any player for taking opportunities when they present themselves. A pro career is very short so why not milk it for everything you can?

Good luck to him. Thanks for the service and all the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.