• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

kabbear

Frank Nicholson (4)
A reallyyyy left field bolter would be McMahon. He still plays a bit like a 7s player, and I don't like how often he picks people up in the tackle, but he plays a lot bigger than his size. He's a ball-carrier with a lot of pop and that will always take you places. And let's face it, if Jake Schatz can make a Wallaby squad I reckon McMahon can too.

I think that is more than left field! He may make it down the track but he has been very lucky not to be yellow carded twice in the last few weeks. His inexperience shows!

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
So I have this bad feeling you guys are going to throw the Kitchen sink, the toilet and anything else you can scrap together at Lealiifano and if he can't get his 12 or 10 Jersey back may go.. :(..

Although it would do 3 things I guess.

1. Rebels need a decent 10...
2. It be good for the Wallabies as it get him playing all game every game
3. You would become my second team, although I dont dislike you guys your a bit Meh :)

... But if I had my way he would stay here and hopefully he just love the Brumbies too much to move.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
So I have this bad feeling you guys are going to throw the Kitchen sink, the toilet and anything else you can scrap together at Lealiifano and if he can't get his 12 or 10 Jersey back may go.. :(..

1. Rebels need a decent 10.
3. You would become my second team, although I dont dislike you guys your a bit Meh :)

. But if I had my way he would stay here and hopefully he just love the Brumbies too much to move.

1) We would be stupid not to
2) He would be stupid not to
3) Everyone likes the Brumbies, just no one wants to live in Canberra.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
He's be a great fit down here. I don't think it's unfair to assume that had there been a viable local pathway he would have been one of the first truly Victorian Wallabies in recent decades.

We've had a few pull on the gold jersey, but all underwent their main development interstate.

It would be great for the Rebels and for club-land to have a success story like Lilo return.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
He's be a great fit down here. I don't think it's unfair to assume that had there been a viable local pathway he would have been one of the first truly Victorian Wallabies in recent decades.

We've had a few pull on the gold jersey, but all underwent their main development interstate.

It would be great for the Rebels and for club-land to have a success story like Lilo return.

You could argue that Lloyd Johanssen blazed that trail first. Played juniors down here, went the southport school to further develop. Eventually QLD and wallabies jeserys, O/S for a bit then back to the rebels. Post that he's played for Box Hill and now Quins.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member

1. Rebels need a decent 10.
3. You would become my second team, although I don't dislike you guys your a bit Meh :)

. But if I had my way he would stay here and hopefully he just love the Brumbies too much to move.

Looks like Payto and Panda have been reading our forums again for the 'unnamed source' quotations. Don't think we have a chance att To'omua (he's already signalled he wants to stay), but I think Lilo is our man.

THE Brumbies success in recent years is starting to take a toll on the club’s abilities to keep all its star players, and the vultures are circling.
A squad full of offcuts just a few years ago, the ACT squad is now chock full of Wallabies and up to 10 big-name players, including Christian Lealiifano, Scott Fardy, Jesse Mogg and Matt To'omua, are off-contract this year.
The word is out that with all the expanding salaries they will struggle to fit everyone under the salary cap next year, and clubs like the Rebels and the Force are keeping a very keen eye on proceedings. Melbourne desperately need a Test-quality playmaker and you’d assume they’d pay good money for either Lealiifano or To'omua. The Force need to build depth in a number of positions.
Stay tuned.

Unsurprisingly, looks like diggers is interested in coming home and 'mexico' was mentioned as a destination. Being a firmer Noble Park boy the family card may be an interesting one to play. Do we need another top winder or awe fairly flush for players in that space? I think we'd be mad not to at least explore the possibility of getting a top-flight winger on our books.

The drums are beating from Europe that Digby Ioane is heading back to Australia next season. The question remains where?
The obvious destinations appear Melbourne or Queensland, but the mail from Mexico is the Rebels aren’t interested.
Ioane seemed to burn bridges at the Reds on his way out last year over a money dispute, although we’re told relations have been mended and the door isn’t closed.
With the Waratahs and Brumbies well-stocked for wingers, could Ioane even return to Perth, where he debuted for the Force in 2006?

Source: http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/...ahs-for-33-cents/story-fndpt9s1-1226880275846

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I'm not convinced we have a glaring gap on the wing. I love that we've taken blokes like Tom English who weren't given a shot elsewhere and have been getting real value from them.

Team cohesion is important, and bringing in an outside who may not gel with the established/ing culture, and at a higher wage bracket, may be worse in the long run.

AFL great Wayne Carey wrote an article this week to that effect, discussing his experience at North Melbourne when a highly paid bloke from Adelaide was brought across, and of course there's the example of Buddy Franklin at Sydney, both of which brought on divisions and foment in the playing group.

Lealiifano or To'omua on the other hand would be excellent additions and ambassadors for the game, given the gap we have at 10 and what appears to be their level heads.

We've hopefully learned our lessons from JOC (James O'Connor) and Cipriani and will be taking personality and culture into account when hiring and firing in the future.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
A package deal of Lilo and Fardy would be pretty handy.

Anyone know what's happening with Max? He's not listed among the wounded, nor is he named to play Dewar Shield.

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Don't think we need Fardy, as good as he is we're stacked with back rowers, then again Pyle is leaving...

The digby thing was rumoured a month or two ago and the Rebels twitter account directly responded saying they weren't interested. I guess the no dickhead policy is very strict, I'd consider him low in the dickhead rankings compared to others we've had.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
I think the Rebels cash is better spent on a front row and decent forward pack. We are seeing this year, the continued improvement of the team as a result of a stronger pack. Australia has truckloads of fast, young backs, we need to continue to develop mongrel piggies. Plus the Rebels are set to cost the ARU $2 mil this year so every cent they spent needs to be smart.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think the Rebels cash is better spent on a front row and decent forward pack. We are seeing this year, the continued improvement of the team as a result of a stronger pack. Australia has truckloads of fast, young backs, we need to continue to develop mongrel piggies. Plus the Rebels are set to cost the ARU $2 mil this year so every cent they spent needs to be smart.

I think you lot need a quality 10 you wont be contenders till you have one. You should then work on ya tight 5. You have a classy backrow but I guess quality tight 5 is hard to come by..

Being in debet is hard maybe you should try and save on the cap. Brumbies save about 160 k this year.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
The NZ tour ended on a sour note. We should have beaten the Chiefs and probably let the Highlanders off the hook.

GAGR members with connections to HQ and the team, what's the energy like at the club? Optimistic or dour?

The two losses will probably be tough to swallow but there are still positives to take from both.

The scrum was solid against a heavier opposition, Inman continues to play like a man possessed, lineout throws weren't going astray, we were hitting rucks hard and many of the tackles were venomous.

I've gone on a limb and called us in to beat the Force at home. The third leg we grow at AAMI will be a welcome shot in the arm, and surely the Force will run out of steam soon. They've played themselves to a standstill these last few weeks, and credit to them, but those legs must be getting heavy!

We've got the precinct to ourselves as the AFL goes into its ye olde worlde good friday slumber. Hopefully the locals get behind the concept and put some money towards the Children's Hospital appeal while supporting some top notch rugby.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I think you lot need a quality 10 you wont be contenders till you have one. You should then work on ya tight 5. You have a classy backrow but I guess quality tight 5 is hard to come by..

Being in debet is hard maybe you should try and save on the cap. Brumbies save about 160 k this year.

A flyhalf is not the issue. Between Debrezcni and Hegarty the rebels are set for the next few years.
Any 10 the rebels bring in will only be a band aid solution.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
A flyhalf is not the issue. Between Debrezcni and Hegarty the rebels are set for the next few years.
So a 26 year old wallaby who was born in Melbourne with family there, who could possibly be the best 5/8 in oz is a band aid solution? His also a top bloke and wonderful leader.

But fantastic we will keep him...

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)

You seriously reckon those two are better than Lilo? You're dreaming. Hegarty is okay and literally no one knows what Debrezcni will be like.

Before he destroyed his ankle a couple of years back he was comfortably the best flyhalf in Australia. For whatever reason the Brumbies have since decided to go with To'omua there, but that's their prerogative. He'd make a huge, and immediate, difference to the Rebels - if only with his goalkicking. We'd be absolutely mad not to chase him.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Hegarty is OK.

Especially considering he's just 21 and only played a dozen or so games. With half a season of Super Rugby, a season of the national comp and a another preseason in front of him he could become anything.

Lilo does tick all the boxes though. If we do pick him up, Hegarty could be used as cover for 10/15 or maybe a wing option. Lilo would go straight to 10, no doubt about that.

It's a shame Foley shafted us, he would have made a difference this year.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
So a 26 year old wallaby who was born in Melbourne with family there, who could possibly be the best 5/8 in oz is a band aid solution? His also a top bloke and wonderful leader.

But fantastic we will keep him.

Let's put this in perspective, Lealifano is 27 this year and will be 28 next year. So odds are the very best the Rebels could hope for is to have him for 2-3 years and he isn't really a chance for the 2019 world cup so he would probably want to cash in now why his body is still somewhat good. Your expecting the Rebels to fork out enough to keep him for those 2-3 years while at the same time being able to finance all the contracts the rebels will have to renew in that time for their rising stars and bring in suitable recruits to play with him.

Now all this is based on his 2012 form where he played 12 games at most, in a position which he hasn't played much of since his injury. To cap it off he hasn't shown nearly the same level of form since then. Yet people are insisting the smart investment would be to break bank to buy him, when for the same price we could develop 3 flyhalves, one of which we definitely know is serviceable.

Not to taking anything away from Christian he is a solid player, but I think the rebels would be foolish to invest heavily in him. The Force are a testament to what a serviceable distributor can do when everyone around him is firing, so I don't see when the rebels can't work off the same model with their young team.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Not to taking anything away from Christian he is a solid player, but I think the rebels would be foolish to invest heavily in him. The Force are a testament to what a serviceable distributor can do when everyone around him is firing, so I don't see when the rebels can't work off the same model with their young team.

Ebersohn's goal kicking in particular is leagues ahead of Hegarty and that's what is making him a good player for the Force right now. Bringing Holmes in has also increased competition for that jersey.

Wallabies get squeezed out of Super Rugby sides that are improving every year because the team becomes too expensive to keep together. The Rebels shouldn't break the bank trying to recruit someone like Leali'ifano, but if the salary was reasonable, they'd be crazy not too look at him.

Hegarty is nowhere near good enough to be a sacred cow at the Rebels and more competition can only be a good thing. The backups are Roberts who ever Rebel fan thinks is terrible and Debrecszeni who is uncapped and has only really played one year of first grade club rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.