• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

I'll go out on a limb and say that for the greater good (i.e. Beale's long term recovery and the best thing for the Wallabies) is for him to get back to NSW as quickly as humanly possible.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Couldn't disagree more.
The best thing for his long term good is not to run home to mommy and all the sycophantic mates up there, the best thing is to sit down, man up and realise he has an issue that needs to be addressed and to find the strength in himself to overcome it. Long term he will benefit from overcoming his issues on his own accord not by getting coddled through his problems.
He had issues up in NSW as well. The city isn't the issue.
I hope he stays as I think he and JOC (James O'Connor) have an impressive opportunity
I prefer Beale at 10 with JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 and Woodward at 15. With Inman,Vuna and strzacker we have a potent backline

T

TOCC

Couldn't disagree more.
The best thing for his long term good is not to run home to mommy and all the sycophantic mates up there, the best thing is to sit down, man up and realise he has an issue that needs to be addressed and to find the strength in himself to overcome it. Long term he will benefit from overcoming his issues on his own accord not by getting coddled through his problems.

Mate i feel you are trivialising the issue of alcoholism, usually alcoholism works hand in hand with some form of stress disorder or depression, I'm not gong to advocate that I know what issues that Kurtley faces, there may well be external pressure that we are unaware of..

What I do know is that telling someone to man up isn't the solution, if he does in fact have a better support network in NSW to help keep him on the right track then I agree he should move back there for his own long term health.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Both sides are true, but if he moves back to Sydney he's still going to have to "man up" and face his issues. The AFL clubs down here have long had specific policies that take into account indigenous players' needs and issues. I'm not necessarily suggesting KB (Kurtley Beale)'s issues relate to that, just saying that there are established models for dealing with young blokes who have been removed from their family and support structures to play professional football.

If the Rebels were canny they'd be putting him in touch with a Michael Long to establish a non-rugby mentor-type relationship. Players in this situation have come (and sadly) gone through all of the major codes, but i'd suspect rugby has the least experience managing it. It'd be a tragedy to see him turn out like a Brendan Fevola.

In positive news Higgers has extended his contract to 2015. I believe he had the option of terminating at the end of this year, but he's activated the 2014 clause and extended it by a year. The captaincy is bringing out the best in him and his re-signing should be a vote of confidence in the system we're building and the growth into the future.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Couldn't disagree more.
He had issues up in NSW as well. The city isn't the issue.
I hope he stays as I think he and JOC (James O'Connor) have an impressive opportunity
I prefer Beale at 10 with JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 and Woodward at 15. With Inman,Vuna and strzacker we have a potent backline

what were beale's problems while in Sydney? apart from getting fat at one stage?

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yes to what Qwerty said.

He also got done for driving the Mazda he won in the ARC without a licence. Don't know if grog was involved in that one.

And that's just the stuff we know about.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Mate i feel you are trivialising the issue of alcoholism, usually alcoholism works hand in hand with some form of stress disorder or depression, I'm not gong to advocate that I know what issues that Kurtley faces, there may well be external pressure that we are unaware of..

What I do know is that telling someone to man up isn't the solution, if he does in fact have a better support network in NSW to help keep him on the right track then I agree he should move back there for his own long term health.
i am not trivialising alcoholism. no one has said he is an alcoholic, i think the issue is that he is a bad drunk. there's a difference between the two and no one knows enough to say he is an alcoholic. all we know is he is a bad drunk.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
and fantastic news on higgers. i now think damian hill will stay. a lot of players have shown support by backing him and re-signing. key players as well. if we lose one of JOC (James O'Connor) or beale, we are now still in a good position. if we keep both, we are very strong in my opinion

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I am going to be seriously unhappy if Damien Hill stays. For all these close results, there are just so many fundamental things wrong with the way we play that we're never ever going to top the Australian conference if we keep going like this.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
I am going to be seriously unhappy if Damien Hill stays. For all these close results, there are just so many fundamental things wrong with the way we play that we're never ever going to top the Australian conference if we keep going like this.

Sensibly, Hill will stay if we don't get any better applicants.

Personally, I am coming around to the idea of Todd Louden. He's had a positive impact on every team he's been involved in and I suspect he's been ready for the next level ever since he was assistant to McKenzie at the Waratahs. He got the most out of KB (Kurtley Beale) that year, and would most likely develop a great attacking game that would suit the players we have.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Yes to what Qwerty said.

He also got done for driving the Mazda he won in the ARC without a licence. Don't know if grog was involved in
No he was booked for driving the car he won in the ARC. No booze involved. It was a Mazda CX-7, a basic family car but they are all Turbo charged. P platers aren't permitted to drive turbo cars in NSW. If you know the CX-7 it's hardly a performance car so bit of a laugh really.

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/kurtley-beale-car-charge-thrown-out-20110720-1hnxp.html

T

TOCC

i am not trivialising alcoholism. no one has said he is an alcoholic, i think the issue is that he is a bad drunk. there's a difference between the two and no one knows enough to say he is an alcoholic. all we know is he is a bad drunk.

A bad drunk? Is by definition someone who suffers from alcohol abuse..

Telling someone to "harden up" is glossing over the root of the issues, I'm unfortunately involved in an industry which has a high level of stress disorders which subsequently evolve/stimulate other issues like alcoholism and alcohol abuse... The thinking that these men just needed to harden up or get over it is an outdated concept often doing more harm the good.... Support is the best cure to these sort of issues.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
No he was booked for driving the car he won in the ARC. No booze involved. It was a Mazda CX-7, a basic family car but they are all Turbo charged. P platers aren't permitted to drive turbo cars in NSW. If you know the CX-7 it's hardly a performance car so bit of a laugh really.

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/kurtley-beale-car-charge-thrown-out-20110720-1hnxp.html

You made me doubt myself.

You are correct, but there were two offences. You are referring to the incident in 2011.

I was referring to this incident:

Beale was fined in 2007 for driving under the influence and without a licence while still a teenager.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/cooper-beale-in-police-probe/story-e6frg7mf-1226389512984

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
A bad drunk? Is by definition someone who suffers from alcohol abuse..

Telling someone to "harden up" is glossing over the root of the issues, I'm unfortunately involved in an industry which has a high level of stress disorders which subsequently evolve/stimulate other issues like alcoholism and alcohol abuse. The thinking that these men just needed to harden up or get over it is an outdated concept often doing more harm the good.. Support is the best cure to these sort of issues.
Being a bad drunk is a completely different issue to being alcoholic. We know he has issues when he drinks, we just don't know whether or not he's an alcoholic. Anyway, this is ground that's already been covered. I'm just happy he's playing again and starring.

T

TOCC

Being a bad drunk is a completely different issue to being alcoholic. We know he has issues when he drinks, we just don't know whether or not he's an alcoholic. Anyway, this is ground that's already been covered. I'm just happy he's playing again and starring.

Semantics, but being a bad drunk and been involved in two altercations(one with a bouncer and another with his captain) in the last 12 months ticks all the boxes of alcohol abuse... Alcoholism isn't purely limited to alcohol dependency, alcohol abuse is essentially anyone who continues to engage in drinking despite recurring negative consequences.

At the end day, i just hope that he is provided with continuing support and not just the short term rehab solution he went through. If that is in Melbourne, then fantastic, but it just seems from the outside that currently he would be better off in Sydney.

Status
Not open for further replies.