• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Timani is a good pickup regardless of Neville because you need real depth to win the super rugby.

4.Timani
5. Pyle
6. Jones
7. Fainga'a
8. Higgers

With Neville, saffy/fugi and Timani jr on the bench.

Add in the new props and the rebels pack looks very decent.

Shame about the 10/12 situation.
Sounds great, let Jordy came back and sign with the Tahs

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
He's still only 18.

I'm certainly hoping that he decides another year living at home and an EPS contract at the Tahs next season is the best way for him to go.

That highlights package is OK and I only watched the first couple of minutes but what is his defense like?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That highlights package is OK and I only watched the first couple of minutes but what is his defense like?

Terrible. The Rebels shouldn't sign him.

Actually, I haven't seen enough of him to really comment on his defence. Someone else surely can. Lee Grant would have seen a fair few of his junior/academy games and I'm sure there are a few Randwick fans out there who've watched him playing a fair bit this year.

Regardless though, the Rebels shouldn't try and sign him ;)

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
WorkingClassRugger Nah, Colby is significantly better than Reid at the moment. Reid has a bit of mad dog about him, in the Beau Robinson way, but he's an absolute penalty magnet - almost to the point of being a liability. He's got a lot of potential, but he's not there yet.

Issue with Reid is that when he came on this year he gave away stupid PKs in the red zone and was sent to the bin in 3 of the games. When he gets his timing right he is a beast though.

Fowi

Chris McKivat (8)
Full contract or not, you would think the Rebels would be an attractive proposition for any aspiring fly-half at the moment. They're pretty much guaranteed to get some minutes instead of waiting for an injury crisis at another s15 team.

Indeed mate he does need to be playing, but i can't help but think being thrown in the deep-end at the rebels - where they don't have a top class 5/8 or inside - is the way to go for him.

Having said that if you watch the Randwick vs West Harbour game on the ABC Iviewer, you will see what this kid is all about. Runs at the line and has a great pass. He really is a class above most other 5/8's at Shute Shield level and he is only 18 years old as well.

Fowi

Chris McKivat (8)

He has never been that noticeable in defense when I have watched him play. Which probably means he does his job well.

If you watch the end of the highlights package there is about a minute and a half showing his tackling. He tackles low which is always nice to see a young lad going low.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Its pretty funny reading some of the Tah fans in this thread coming up with excuses for why he should stay.

Its all a bit rich as a Rebels supporter when you hear a team saying "Oh yeah, we want to keep Foley and Folau, get Beale back and have all the best young talent stay just in case". It sounds a bit like a spoiled kid saying "nuh-uh. They're ALL my toys, no-one else can play with them."

If Foley had moved to the Rebels, keeping Horowitz would make sense. You'd have an 'older' player in Beale and a developing young gun in Horowitz competing for 10. But, Foley stayed at the Tahs and now you already have two players competing for the 10 spot and both of them are under 25.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Its pretty funny reading some of the Tah fans in this thread coming up with excuses for why he should stay.

Its all a bit rich as a Rebels supporter when you hear a team saying "Oh yeah, we want to keep Foley and Folau, get Beale back and have all the best young talent stay just in case". It sounds a bit like a spoiled kid saying "nuh-uh. They're ALL my toys, no-one else can play with them."

If Foley had moved to the Rebels, keeping Horowitz would make sense. You'd have an 'older' player in Beale and a developing young gun in Horowitz competing for 10. But, Foley stayed at the Tahs and now you already have two players competing for the 10 spot and both of them are under 25.

I reckons it's a pretty understandable position to take. Injuries happen all the time in super rugby and you need at least 2 top players in each position to challenge for the title.

Horowitz staying at the tahs still makes sense even with foley there; because beale will probably play fullback most of the time. And it is not unheard of for a team to lose 2 flyhalves to injury during the season. Strong squads win titles.

This goes back to the point I made earlier in this thread. Obviously the long term the plan is to sign players from the victorian system, but even in the medium term, the rebels need to look outside the box and instead of trying to get in on the reds and tahs pathway they need to create their own with schools and clubs in QLD and NSW.

I'm not saying I'm against Horowitzs going to the rebels, but that the rebels recruitment can't rely on the odd successful poach, there needs to be a production line.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I reckons it's a pretty understandable position to take. Injuries happen all the time in super rugby and you need at least 2 top players in each position to challenge for the title.

Horowitz staying at the tahs still makes sense even with foley there; because beale will probably play fullback most of the time. And it is not unheard of for a team to lose 2 flyhalves to injury during the season. Strong squads win titles.

This goes back to the point I made earlier in this thread. Obviously the long term the plan is to sign players from the victorian system, but even in the medium term, the rebels need to look outside the box and instead of trying to get in on the reds and tahs pathway they need to create their own with schools and clubs in QLD and NSW.

I'm not saying I'm against Horowitzs going to the rebels, but that the rebels recruitment can't rely on the odd successful poach, there needs to be a production line.

NSW has a production line of soild flyhalfs, losing horowitz will hardly dent their title aspirations

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
James Buchanan Bowside - It's Horwitz by the way. There's no second O.

My main thought on the matter is that I doubt Horwitz would consider a full contract in Melbourne as a significantly better option than an EPS spot in Sydney for next year.

I certainly doubt he'd be the third string fly half at a franchise much beyond next year though. He's a definite talent but I predict he'll bide his time for another year and stay in Sydney.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Indeed mate he does need to be playing, but i can't help but think being thrown in the deep-end at the rebels - where they don't have a top Th 5/8 or inside - is the way to go for him.

Having said that if you watch the Randwick vs West Harbour game on the ABC Iviewer, you will see what this kid is all about. Runs at the line and has a great pass. He really is a class above most other 5/8's at Shute Shield level and he is only 18 years old as well.

Oi, who's side are you on?

Horwitz isn't anything special and the Rebels shouldn't bother looking at him. Oh, and Reid should be let go as he adds absolutely nothing to the Rebels.

The Tahs will gladly take them off your hands.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

No it's not. He developed in our system and we should have first right of choice.:)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Terrible. The Rebels shouldn't sign him.

Actually, I haven't seen enough of him to really comment on his defence. Someone else surely can. Lee Grant would have seen a fair few of his junior/academy games and I'm sure there are a few Randwick fans out there who've watched him playing a fair bit this year.

Regardless though, the Rebels shouldn't try and sign him ;)

Nice try Braveheart, but I don't think you would have fooled too many Rebels clipboard guys.

David Horwitz has been defending OK in the Shute Shield games I have seen on TV this year and he would have to be a better defender than KB (Kurtley Beale) was when he was the same age - or even a year older. He held his own, and more, in Argentina recently.

As I have said before - even it he gets a start in a Super match early next year (not that he would be likely to) he will be well over a year older than Beale was when Link threw him in at the deep end for his starting debut – on the veld, and only 18 years old plus a few weeks.

He could be the long term Waratahs' flyhalf if we can keep him town because he has an all-round game—passing, kicking from hand—and he has a savage step.

But probably his best feature is the mature rugby brain he has for one so young.

No doubt flaws will emerge when we see him against teams who have older rivals in his position (and he will have to work on his goal-kicking) but right now he is looking like a hot property to acquire.

If the Rebels can acquire him it will be a coup for a couple of years down the track.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Nice try Braveheart, but I don't think you would have fooled too many Rebels clipboard guys.

David Horwitz has been defending OK in the Shute Shield games I have seen on TV this year and he would have to be better than KB (Kurtley Beale) was when he was the same age - or even a year older.

As I have said before - even it he gets a start in a Super match early next year (not that he would be likely to) he will be well over a year older than Beale was when Link threw him in at the deep end for his starting debut – on the veld, and only 18 years old plus a few weeks.

He could be the long term Waratahs' flyhalf if we can keep him town because he has an all-round game - passing, kicking from hand—and has a savage step on him.

But probably his best feature is the mature rugby brain he has.

No doubt flaws will emerge (and he will have to work on his goal-kicking) but right now he is looking like a hot property to acquire.
He really impressed me with his maturity in Shute shield.
It's important for his long term development that he hasn't been and isn't thrown in the deep end.
I have no particular view about his tackling but I wonder why having a 10 who can tackle is emphasised so much here: it's not such a big deal over the ditch and they seem to produce plenty of world class 10s.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
No it's not. He developed in our system and we should have first right of choice.:)

Maybe this is in line with your other tongue-in-cheek posts and i'm missing the subtlety?

If not, that's the sort of narrow provincial mindset that rugby needs to evolve out of. The current system rewards the old of NSW and QLD too readily and at the expense of newer franchises. It's a brave new world and part of that will mean having young blokes signed up to interstate teams.

Re this Horwitz fella; i'd love for him to come to Melbourne, but if he was smart he'd play a year in Sydney and see whether Beale breaks away and plays league.

Or go out on a limb and carve his own name in the world ;)

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Maybe this is in line with your other tongue-in-cheek posts and i'm missing the subtlety?

If not, that's the sort of narrow provincial mindset that rugby needs to evolve out of. The current system rewards the old of NSW and QLD too readily and at the expense of newer franchises. It's a brave new world and part of that will mean having young blokes signed up to interstate teams.

Re this Horwitz fella; i'd love for him to come to Melbourne, but if he was smart he'd play a year in Sydney and see whether Beale breaks away and plays league.

Or go out on a limb and carve his own name in the world ;)

It was tongue in cheek. We have a competitive market for talent and its only reasonable that the Rebels look at all there options, I'm just hoping that the Tahs have seen what I have of Horwitz this season and are poised to strike. If not, then its our loss.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
It was tongue in cheek. We have a competitive market for talent and its only reasonable that the Rebels look at all there options, I'm just hoping that the Tahs have seen what I have of Horwitz this season and are poised to strike. If not, then its our loss.

It's a habit of mine to miss subtlety.

Maybe a junior draft would even out some of these disparities. 18 year olds who make the cut in fitness and ability testing are invited to nominate to enter the draft, picks are assigned to each province (rewarding consistent poor performance ala AFL or a random raffle) and the young guys go into those clubs on EPS/rookie contracts.

Guys that don't make the cut are free to play rugby at the club of their choice, with a second draft for older talent taking place after.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
A couple of injuries can make nice prognostications seem silly in hindsight.

Sometimes you have to take a punt on young players even if it appears that you are over-egging the pudding when they are recruited.

No doubt this time next year the Rebels or other franchises, will be discussing the likes of fullback/wingers Andrew Kellaway and Harry Jones who are better now in their positions than Horwitz was at their age, in his.

Now there's a couple of more eggs for a future pudding.

Status
Not open for further replies.