• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
You're not wrong but if the Rebels wanted these guys they'd probably be in the EPS.

I think they're going foreign because there's few or no local options worthy of a full squad contract.

The 10 needs to be either good or simply experianced, the lock only needs to be okay but will probably be an established professional (as he's getting a full contract).
Plus they a less likely to bugger off home once you have developed them

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Ado Tornado

Allen Oxlade (6)
I was hoping Mr Cordingly would pluck a quality 10 from the ITM comp given they're falling out of trees over there.

Hugh McGahan the former Rooster and K1 league captain has a son (Matt) who's just been signed by North Harbour for next years ITM cup who is looking for a super start. Given that he's just finished a couple of years under Bellamy at the Storm and has been fast tracked into the NZ seven set up he would probably be an option.

Or a real smokie could be Ben Roberts who was released by Parramatta. Not sure if he's found anywhere but he was definitely looking at Union as his next step. Might need a crash course in the finer aspects of the game, but knows his way around a footy field.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I think Hegarty will be more than adequate at 10 next year, so a good up and comer to back him up could work. In that case, I wouldn't go past Rohan Saifoloi. Imo he is the best of the young 10s going round in SS (Tahs fans will disagree, I know). There was also a lock played with Randwick, I think, - Munroe? Showed a lot of promise and could be a good pick up for one of the teams.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I agree about Saifoloi.
It's puzzling how the various franchises continue to sign less performed 10's in the SS,and continue to ignore him.
I hope he gets a chance soon.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I agree about Saifoloi.
It's puzzling how the various franchises continue to sign less performed 10's in the SS,and continue to ignore him.
I hope he gets a chance soon.

Maybe he's difficult? Or maybe he's not willing to leave NSW. Both happen surprisingly often.

Either way, I can't picture any situation that any of the players listed above ends up being recruited, they're all fine EPS options but they're too risky for full contract and nobody in the EPS screams 'contract upgrade' at this stage.

I don't think anybody at the Rebels is ballsy enough to sign an undeveloped players in a full contract like Chieka because it pretty much promises them a spot in the 23.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
From GAGR's Wednesday new bulletin:

The Brumbies are facing the financial difficulties of successful player development as coach Stephen Larkham may struggle to retain his Wallaby superstars when initiating contract talks in coming weeks. Matt To'omua, Christian Lealiifano, Scott Fardy, Scott Sio and Jesse Mogg headline the Brumbies becoming free agents in 2014, all of whom are in high demand from other Super Rugby and overseas clubs .

While the Brumbies had just three Wallabies players on their roster at the start of last year - Stephen Moore, Ben Alexander and Pat McCabe - they now boast 13 players with Test experience. Many of these players will warrant significantly extended contracts. Mogg, Fardy and Sio, for example, were all on $40,000 extended playing squad contracts when they joined the Brumbies last year.

I'd be happy with To'omua or Lealiifano being offered contracts down here. The realities of a large Wallaby roster might just end up biting the Brumbies in the behind!

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
I'd be happy with To'omua or Lealiifano being offered contracts down here. The realities of a large Wallaby roster might just end up biting the Brumbies in the behind!

Lilo has long been talked up as coming down south when his Brumbies contract was up, I think there was even an article not long ago saying something along the lines of he's 'not against' the idea of playing in Melbourne.

It's just talk, but in all likelihood the Brumbies are going to lose either To'omua or Lilo to another team with money to spend on a big name. We will be losing Tamati Ellison after one season and will be desperate for a decent 12 again so no doubt the Rebels will be throwing a lot of cash at one of those two. Hopefully the rebels notch a few more wins this year to make it a more attractive prospect outside of just remuneration.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
From GAGR's Wednesday new bulletin:

The Brumbies are facing the financial difficulties of successful player development as coach Stephen Larkham may struggle to retain his Wallaby superstars when initiating contract talks in coming weeks. Matt To'omua, Christian Lealiifano, Scott Fardy, Scott Sio and Jesse Mogg headline the Brumbies becoming free agents in 2014, all of whom are in high demand from other Super Rugby and overseas clubs .

While the Brumbies had just three Wallabies players on their roster at the start of last year - Stephen Moore, Ben Alexander and Pat McCabe - they now boast 13 players with Test experience. Many of these players will warrant significantly extended contracts. Mogg, Fardy and Sio, for example, were all on $40,000 extended playing squad contracts when they joined the Brumbies last year.

if they are anything like the Reds players all the Brumbies will need to do is play the team song on a loop and they will all stay and play for free.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
if they are anything like the Reds players all the Brumbies will need to go is play the team song on a loop and they will all stay and play for free.

The Rebels team song? I'm quite partial to belting out Les Mis at the Stockade. It's a good song!

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
The Rebels team song? I'm quite partial to belting out Les Mis at the Stockade. It's a good song!

Les Mis? Really? Never heard it once up the northern end, perhaps time to start a trend.

My singing screaming random noise is usually confined to the various bowie/idol tunes that belt over the PA when we win something. It's quite a horrible sight/sound, but noone in my immediate vicinity tends to care.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
When the drumline comes on to do the pre-game stuff at AAMI, I usually get quite involved.

Mostly it involves screaming "fuck off" or "I can't take it anymore". But surprisingly often I just weep in frustrated embarassment and generally wish there was someone in the Rebels HQ with a clue.

Coffee was spat/spilt after reading this. Mission accomplished Daz...

Reactions: daz

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Les Mis? Really? Never heard it once up the northern end, perhaps time to start a trend.

My singing screaming random noise is usually confined to the various bowie/idol tunes that belt over the PA when we win something. It's quite a horrible sight/sound, but noone in my immediate vicinity tends to care.

I'm usually alone in the singing, probably to the disgust of my neighbours.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
When the drumline comes on to do the pre-game stuff at AAMI, I usually get quite involved.

Mostly it involves screaming "fuck off" or "I can't take it anymore". But surprisingly often I just weep in frustrated embarassment and generally wish there was someone in the Rebels HQ with a clue.
i agree. my girlfriend sitting next to me says " other teams have cheerleaders in tight outfits, we get frumps in durndel skirts FFS"
the drummers on their own are OK.
and i also prefer billy idol to andrew lloyd weber

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
While we're on the topic of in-game 'entertainment', i've blown my lid so many times at the music they play at AAMI Park.

I go there to watch rugby. Not listen to shitty dance music played at every conceivable moment. For some reason whenever there's a break in play they play the worst dross possible at volumes suitable for a rock concert.

The crowd at Rebels games is great, the last thing we need is to a) be drowned out by music chosen by an ADHD-suffering tween, and b) be encouraged by the ground announcer as if we were sedentary Yanks at a hockey game.

End rant.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
The crowd at Rebels games is great, the last thing we need is to a) be drowned out by music chosen by an ADHD-suffering tween, and b) be encouraged by the ground announcer as if we were sedentary Yanks at a hockey game.

End rant.

The amount of times the song over the PA drowned the crord out is a joke.

Play music pre game and at half time and than the only noise I want to hear over the PA is who is coming off and on, and even than I can work that out for myself.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)

Mostly it involves screaming "fuck off" or "I can't take it anymore". But surprisingly often I just weep in frustrated embarassment and generally wish there was someone in the Rebels HQ with a clue.​
Those drummers are looking more broken arse every season. I reckon they need to liven up the pre match entertainment. I reckon installing a sniper in the stands to take pot shots at the drummers with an air rifle would be brilliant. Probably better than the rugby.

D

daz

End rant.

Very, very good point. My wife and I particularly hate being told by some dweeb on a mic to "get behind your Melbourne Rebels and make some noise".

Firstly, I'll cheer when I fucking want to, and secondly, I am not a big cheerer when the boys are 30 points down and/or playing ordinary rugby.

My membership, so I get first right of choice on how and when I will "get involved".

The NBA style music is another matter. The AAMI DJ (probably a second cousin of Cooper Vuna) needs to be quietly taken out the back and executed.

Personally, I don't mind the Rebel-related music when the boys score a try. But that's about my limit.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
They're definitely not playing to their audience. The crowd are on average 25+ year old men, which immediately makes their music choices redundant.

A bit of a rev up before the game is ok, maybe some noise at half time (which is filled by the various kicking games and little league), and after a try and victory. It's pretty simple!

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I wish they would record the version of the song as sung by the players (although maybe not by the players).

This version (it's at 0.55sec)...

And put the lyrics up on the screen when it's played.

And ditch the DJ.

Am I the only one that doesn't mind Drumline?

Status
Not open for further replies.