• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I've just gone Blue again as my drinking Rugby buddies wanted to stick with Blue. Silver was tempting, but in the end we couldn't make a decision.

Must say they have presented some really good package options this year. I was even tempted to get a little Rebels membership because I wanted a cool lunchbox :)

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
I've just gone Blue again as my drinking Rugby buddies wanted to stick with Blue. Silver was tempting, but in the end we couldn't make a decision.

Must say they have presented some really good package options this year. I was even tempted to get a little Rebels membership because I wanted a cool lunchbox :)

Silver is not really worth the extra, your lucky if you seat is in line with the try line let alone field of play.

Very happy with Gold, got a great seat. Won tickets from Rabo Direct last season and preferred my gold seat even as I have a unobstructed view of the whole ground and can't block anyone's view when I am standing up.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Silver is not really worth the extra, your lucky if you seat is in line with the try line let alone field of play.

Very happy with Gold, got a great seat. Won tickets from Rabo Direct last season and preferred my gold seat even as I have a unobstructed view of the whole ground and can't block anyone's view when I am standing up.

Fair point, the viewing angle was a bit terrible;e, we were more interested in the 8x guest tickets. WE'd easily bring that many people to games every season. Still, if you can't see it what's the bloody point?

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I notice Debreczni is the rebels third Flyhalf.......I think that is an astute investment, I think he has a lot more growth in him then Horowitz and Hegarty.
Not to say that they aren't great talents but Jack's size gives him an edge that not many flyhalves posses. When he fills out he will give teams real headaches with his boot and running game.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I notice Debreczni is the rebels third Flyhalf...I think that is an astute investment, I think he has a lot more growth in him then Horowitz and Hegarty.
Not to say that they aren't great talents but Jack's size gives him an edge that not many flyhalves posses. When he fills out he will give teams real headaches with his boot and running game.

Amen.

Still, the jury is still out on if the Rebels view Hegarty and Roberts as 10s or 15s.

I know what the website says, but I wouldn't put too much cadence in that especially considering West was notable not signed to either a New Zealand Super Rugby team nor their extended squads.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
How seriously would the Rebels chase Ihaia West or is it just the Gaggerland keyboard warriors that think West/Rebels has a good sound to it?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
How seriously would the Rebels chase Ihaia West or is it just the Gaggerland keyboard warriors that think West/Rebels has a good sound to it?

I don't know where the rumour came from but it's not only on G&G (though it's mostly on G&G).

He isn't in any NZ Super rugby squads, which doesn't make sense because he's better than plenty of the 5/8s who are. You'd think a team would at least get him into their extended squad of 5.

Also, the Rebels already have 2 blokes who are named as 5/8s but have said they are looking for a third.

It's not ridiculous for the reasons above. Plus, it's documented Ged effectively talked the Rebels into signing Fugistaller and Woodward, so there's no reason he couldn't have talked them into signing West (who he played with this year).

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I am pretty sure it was mentioned in the same article that veanui was first mentioned in

It should have probably been announced by now, reasons I can think of why West may have been signed but it remains unannounced:
  • NZ Maori mightn't want to take Aus signed players on tour.
  • They're negotiating the nitty gritty of it all.
  • West was hoping for a last minute offer from an NZ franchise (announced Monday) but it never came and now they're waiting till his back from tour to announce it.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)

Well... Our options at the moment are Roberts who is blech, Hegarty who is wildly limited - although seems to know how to win, and that's about it. There's certainly room for another flyhalf in the ranks. He makes sense given the type of player he is as well, especially given the way the Rebels are built.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Would you prefer a 10 who knows how to win the game even if they are technically mediocre, or a 10 who can do everything well but doesn't know how to use his skills to get ahead?

I quite liked Hegarty at 10 and think that if another 10 isn't signed he and Stirzaker should start a season long 9-10 pairing until they lose their way.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Booooo. That's annoying.

@RoffsChoice. With no West, then Hegarty is the obvious choice. Roberts had one good game at fullback and was well below average at all other times. I agree that Stirzaker and Hegarty should start, but Burgess will more than likely get the first crack. The problem with Stirzaker and Hegarty is that it's a very, very, small halves pairing. Burgess might be a deeply shonky passer, but his defence is rock solid.

D

daz

Pop quiz, chaps. Who here is yet to put their money on the table and take out a club membership?

The Platinum memberships held by Mrs daz and myself were renewed the very second the window was opened.

I'll be asking the AAMI Park staff to ensure my seats are cleaned, disinfected and quarantined the day after the soccer season finishes. :p

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
The Platinum memberships held by Mrs daz and myself were renewed the very second the window was opened.

I'll be asking the AAMI Park staff to ensure my seats are cleaned, disinfected and quarantined the day after the soccer season finishes. :p

If the Melbourne Victory/Heart supporters haven't set fire to them.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I've got good news and bad news for you daz.

The good news is that your seat is going to be much closer to the action in 2014.

The bad news is it probably won't be as comfortable as last year.

742855-etihad-stadium-damage.jpg

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Booooo. That's annoying.

@RoffsChoice. With no West, then Hegarty is the obvious choice. Roberts had one good game at fullback and was well below average at all other times. I agree that Stirzaker and Hegarty should start, but Burgess will more than likely get the first crack. The problem with Stirzaker and Hegarty is that it's a very, very, small halves pairing. Burgess might be a deeply shonky passer, but his defence is rock solid.

Hergarty is not that small, his 6 foot and 90kg which is pretty standard size for a 10 these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.