• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Mods, can we start something like a "Consequences of the Third Tier" thread to discuss this, and other items that have been going back and forth in the Aussie Player Exodus thread too?

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
RaboDirect and Massey Ferguson have re-committed to the club as sponsors.

Which is of course excellent news for those of us who love gazing at tractors every Friday, dreaming of a bucolic life in the fields spreading manure and sexing chickens.

I guess it's also good that the club has its sponsors locked in for confidence and revenue purposes, but mainly for the tractor.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Which is of course excellent news for those of us who love gazing at tractors every Friday, dreaming of a bucolic life in the fields spreading manure and sexing chickens.

I guess it's also good that the club has its sponsors locked in for confidence and revenue purposes, but mainly for the tractor.

The Rabodirect relationship is IMO (and in the opinion of many of the staff) the number 1 asset in the Rebels' arsenal.

Players have been bought or moved on purely based on if they fit Rabo's image. Why do you think the Rebels are just about the most white collar looking team/coaching staff in Super Rugby?

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
The Burgess factor is strong in this group.

Recruitment criteria:

1. Not James O'Connor
2. Can play rugby
3. Well spoken and vaguely proportionate facial structure
4. Not James O'Connor.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
The Burgess factor is strong in this group.

Recruitment criteria:

1. Not James O'Connor
2. Can play rugby
3. Well spoken and vaguely proportionate facial structure
4. Not James O'Connor.

Is this your roundabout kinda way of saying he is mildly attractive for a Rugby player?

T

TOCC

Good news, with all the talk of finance issues at the Rebels its reassuring to know that a major sponsor like RaboDirect is happy with the exposure the Rebels have been providing.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
Steve Fualau is officially moving to Béziers in French second division. He will replace Elvis Levi (ex Brumbies I think ?) who is going to Biarritz

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
In other news, can we sign this kid? Just get two years out of him, it'd be the best thing he could do for his future career as an English international.

He's Super Rugby ready, no doubt in my mind.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
From Payto and Panda...

Having already confirmed the departure of Mike Harris (Melbourne Rebels) and Rod Davies (Biarritz, France), we can also reveal that talented speedsters Aidan Toua (Agen, France) and Australian under-20s star Jonah Placid (Melbourne Rebels) will leave at the end of the season, while Dom Shipperley is also rumoured to be on the move.

Anyone know anything about this Jonah Placid kid? Aside from being in the under 20s? Best I got is Wikipedia (sad I know).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonah_Placid

T

tranquility

He won the Bronze boot against New Zealand as a schoolboy. Have a look at the past winners, if you"re not sure what that is.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
From Payto and Panda.

Anyone know anything about this Jonah Placid kid? Aside from being in the under 20s? Best I got is Wikipedia (sad I know).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonah_Placid

Toowoomba Grammar boy - later Aus schools and AusU/20's. Really enjoy watching him play and the kid knows how to find the try line. Was playing for Eastern Suburbs Prem grade last year and one of the best 15's in the comp.

He's a good grab for the Rebels. I'd imagine a fair few Qld'ers will be upset to lose him but with JOC (James O'Connor) returning it's possibly the best thing for Jonah's development.

Good luck to him, QLD's loss.

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Wow very surprised QLD let Placid go, he's got a lot of potential and seemed to be a QLD boy. We're really signing some promising talent young now, I don't mind that at all.

Hopefully JOC (James O'Connor) works out better for QLD than he did for us, he must still be commanding a hefty price tag the way they're shedding talent.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Placid was unreal in the Schoolboys, but has been pretty hit and miss in the U20s this year and in his Super Rugby cameos.

Still a great signing. Wouldn't consider him a starter but maybe the Rebels do, it'd take some coaxing to come down here and maybe that's the carrot.

What over positions do we need players? I think we need a genuine 6 (playing two 7s is a pathway to mediocrity) and probably a hooker if Shota goes (which I think he has to).

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
So Placid to replace Woodward and Roberts must be the thinking behind this move. Which would make Harris a center and our back line looking ok.

9: Brugess/Stirzaker/Meehan
10: Hegarty
11: English
12: Harris
13: Inman
14: Kingston/Veainu
15: Placid/Debreczeni

Mitchell on the Bench to cover 11-15

Status
Not open for further replies.