• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
So I just saw on ABC news an article about the increase in sports analysis and the proliferation of technology. Low and behold, guess who pops on the TV. you guessed it, the one and only Rebels.

Fast forward to 25min:

http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/abc-news-vic/NC1520V054S00#playing

you wouldn't believe the first thing they are analyzing - The lineout throw. Oh fucking hell the irony of it all!

Still, more publicity for the Rebels is always a good thing.

yes quite ironic.
analysing and finding the fault is the easy bit, everyone at the game can see it don't need no fancy computer.
however, the coaching staff's ability to rectify it, well thats another thing entirely

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
We have a group of 10 heading to Sydney if anyone wants to join us message Oztimmy or myself and we will add you to the face book group. Flying up Saturday morning and majority coming back Sunday afternoon.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
One of the positives this season has been the tactical use of the bench. It helps that we're carry more depth than in previous years, but seeing blokes subbed off for fresh legs with time on the clock is excellent.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
One of the positives this season has been the tactical use of the bench. It helps that we're carry more depth than in previous years, but seeing blokes subbed off for fresh legs with time on the clock is excellent.

I disagree, I don't think we have used our bench well at all. We do have the depth and should be making the changes a bit earlier.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Really?

Burgess for Stirzaker at '65
Sefa for Tamati at 65'
Cruze for Toby at 60'
Hegarty for Jack D at 54' (injury)
Alo-Emile for Weeks at 44' (injury)
Cummins for Timani at 35' (injury)
Colby for Fug at 21' (injury).

Sexton didn't get a run, but Pat was playing his best for the season.

The three non-injury subs were arguably made strategically and with plenty of time on the clock to make an impact. Whether they made an impact or not is moot.

Across the four matches so far, the latest substitution we've made was Whittaker for Leafa at 72' against the Brumbies, and that was probably an injury concern.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Talking about all year, besides props most sub's have been to late. Pat has played all except about 10 minutes so I hope his work loan in training is reduced.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Context dictates when subs are made, but many have been made consistently between the 60th and 70th minutes. Seems appropriate to me.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
I thought that in the two close losses the bench could have been better utilized, especially against the Brumbies I fely TT should brought Hegarty on in place of Debrezini for the last 10 mins or so.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I'll be surprised if English starts again this season. Hasn't had an impact with the ball and his missed tackle on Friday was abject.

Placid is great to watch. He's an elusive runner, but is also happy to get all hairy chested and throw down a Tongan sidestep.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I'm done with English. Looks like he got to the top of the mountain last year and has decided he hasn't needed to keep working.

Sefa is a better option on current form, Veainu is on NRC form too.

Mikey isn't a 10, been good at fullback so far though. If you decide Placid adds a lot, is it worth thinking about Harris at 12?

I thought Burgess was rubbish when he came on. The drop off from Timani to Cummims was huge as well.

D

daz

I don't know much about Cummins, but his sprint pace seems to be the equivalent of my slow walk.

And while I thought Jonah had a good first hit out, Harris is our permanent 15.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I thought Cummins was a prop when he first came on. Makes Horwill look explosive.

Probably right about Harris. Nice to see Placid can do a job for us if needed though.

I do think some changes need to be made though. It might be rough on Inman, but I wouldn't mind seeing a new 12. If not Harris, then Ellison. Bring Sefa into 13 and see what happens. Need a bit more dynamism in the backs.

On a non Rebels note, is Marto getting worse? He's deeply unpleasant to listen to.

D

daz

Not sure player changes need to happen as much as you, DD. Watch the first 20 mins from Friday - What made good rugby was the constant movement, quick ball, Stirzy popping to runners, swinging from side to side, just full on movement.

Compare that to the second half. Everyone flat footed, Stirzy and Burgo passing to players standing still. The line completely bunched up and stagnant.

It's like they either run out of steam, or forget how to play what works for them.

Either way, Todd Louden has much to do.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
For some positive news, the Victorian pathways are looking strong.

There are currently 5 Victorian players part of the Barbarians team (Australia sans QLD and Sydney) at the U20's tournament in Canberra. Yesterday the Baabaas had a hit out against QLD and though they were pipped at that last minute (36-29) the boys from Victoria featured well.

Ta Hosea, starting no. 8, tackled well and scored a short range try himself.

Sione Tuipolutu, no. 11, also managed to snatch a try.

And the final Vic player that started was Pat Toeta who controlled the game well from fly half. His radar was working well, he converted two tries and a kicked over a penalty. On top of his kicking, he scored a wonderful try untouched, slicing up through the middle of the park.

So by my count Victorian players contributed 21 of the 29 points!

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
daz, I hear what you're saying. And I completely agree about the first 20 minutes. But that's two weeks in a row now where exactly the same thing has happened. Early forward dominance that isn't truly reflected on the scoreboard thanks largely to wastefulness and silly mistakes, before the opposition are allowed back into the game. Two weeks in a row where Timani has been forced off the field and suddenly we've stopped getting over the advantage line. I'm not sure that he's our most valuable player at the moment, but he's not far off.

My thing with the centre partnership is that we've seen what it has to offer for more than a year now. And it's fine, absolutely solid going both ways. But it's also not particularly fast, explosive, or unpredictable and doesn't bring the outside backs into play much either. I think at this point it's worth trying another combination.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
I am usually in the camp wanting Burgess to start over Stirzaker. But I agree with Dumbledore he was rubbish on Friday. He ran the ball approx 3 times and instead of taking the tackle and laying ball back he tried to throw miracle passes. One of those was the turnover that led to match winning try for Lions. Definitely not what was called for given circumstances of match.

Status
Not open for further replies.