• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlesalan

Sydney Middleton (9)
Heard Gary Gray has been sniffing around around the big end of town trying to become part of the renewed rebels going forward - anyone heard anything on that front ?

charlesalan

Sydney Middleton (9)
He has always been involved in the wheelings and dealings all things rugby - ironic though that he helped to facilitate the sale of the rebels - and even got a payment for his efforts - and now he's involved in the resurrection - is he getting a payment for this ? Or part ownership?

D

daz

Same :) Interested to know why they asked us about our seating location? Perhaps they're not going to herd down to one end of the stadium this time, a la Wallabies Test.

I'm guessing so the camera can be pre-locked into co-ordinates so each of you ugly fuckers can get your face and name in lights on the big screen, pre-game.

That alone makes me glad to be a 2nd year member! :p

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I'm guessing so the camera can be pre-locked into co-ordinates so each of you ugly fuckers can get your face and name in lights on the big screen, pre-game.

Jesus Christ! If the zoomed in on me. I'm likely to break the Camera.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)

Agree,

Spent the first year sitting in different spots to find where I preferred. So I can actually vouch for their is not a bad seat in the house at AAMI park.

D

daz

A little farewell love note:

So as a supporter, fan and member of the Melbourne Rebels, I should be saying that next week is just another game.

But it's not. Not for me.

Next week, a bloke I've known for the last 6 years will play his 100th game of Super Rugby. It will also be his last, before he heads off to have a serious crack at the French Top 14 league for a few years.

Everyone knows that players are only with a team for a finite period before they leave, either by choice or not. So, I can't say a player leaving is a surprise; it's the nature of the beast.

Player rosters change every year, and farewells are part of the club and sport. But I would be lying if I said this departure didn't sting just a bit more than normal.

I first saw Mitch Inman play in Perth when he was in the Western Force squad. My wife and I had just returned from a 5 year work posting in Thailand, and being able to watch a Super Rugby game in the flesh was sublime. I had no affiliation to the Force, but I remember watching this young bloke smash in, run, offload, yell out instructions and generally work his butt off. I clearly remember saying to my wife that this guy looked the real deal.

Fast forward a year and we have relocated to Melbourne and become members of Melbourne's very own Super Rugby team. And at the same time, this young dynamo from the Force had just done the same thing. In Mitch's first year at the Rebels, I was absolutely convinced I was watching a Wallaby in waiting.

No-one is more gutted than me that the Test cap didn't happen, but no one plays 100 Super Rugby games without a combination of skill, ability and laser-sharp focus.

Over the next 5 years, I had the pleasure of chatting to Mitch at various functions, and over time, that evolved into carrying out a full match review and debrief together after every home game on the fence line. There would be the manly hug for me and a kiss for my wife. Yeah, a little bit of a man-crush perhaps...!

But more importantly than rugby, was discovering that Mitch is a top-shelf bloke. Kind, thoughtful, polite, generous and as my mum would say, he clearly was "raised right".

So this week I will likely have my final post-game debrief down on the fence line, and will farewell not only my favourite player, but a great bloke as well.

The Rebels loss is Oyonnax's gain. I am sure that after a game, there will be Mitch chatting to the fans and generally loving what he does for a living.

So mate, from T and I to you and your lovely Sally, enjoy your French adventure. You have made the last 6 years of Rebels/Rising seasons such a joy. Rebels rugby will not quite be the same without you.

Bon chance, mon ami.

image.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.