• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Sharpe

Chris McKivat (8)
That is an extremely weak article from Growden. Very easy but equally unproductive to criticise when things get hard. That article goes beyond reporting into being downright cynical and nasty.
Clearly not a happy time at the Rebels but discussions have to focus on how the situation cam be improved rather than the easy option of blame and condeming.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
He does have a good point: are we building a pro competition, or just a feeder for the Wallabies. Clearly, you know his position.

Besides the "comprehensive review" that you mention, a few paragraphs dedicated to on-field leadership.

But rather than defend Nic, he talked about how good Sean McMahon is as Captain:

In his role as Rebels captain, he never accepts anything less than victory. “Sean’s a wonderful guy and a great player but we’re not building a professional club around him,” Cox said.

Me see changes afoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
That is an extremely weak article from Growden. Very easy but equally unproductive to criticise when things get hard. That article goes beyond reporting into being downright cynical and nasty.
Clearly not a happy time at the Rebels but discussions have to focus on how the situation cam be improved rather than the easy option of blame and condeming.

Like Tex, I have very little time for Growden. He spends his hours shitcanning everything in sight, rather than trying to positively contribute to fix the problem. People like that are often worse than the problem themselves.

What pisses me off even more is his restraint towards the other four teams. 3 wins out of 10 from the oz teams, and two of them were against each other. They aren't showering themselves in glory either, Greg.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Growden has always drawn a bead on the Rebels. I think he blocked me on twitter for calling him a "bitchy gossip monger" after one of his earlier efforts.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Growden has always drawn a bead on the Rebels. I think he blocked me on twitter for calling him a "bitchy gossip monger" after one of his earlier efforts.
I don't know if anyone would remember Growden's "4 Point Manifesto to Save Australian Rugby" but his #1 point was get rid of the Rebels and move the Brumbies to Melbourne. He has been banging this drum for years, he's not going to stop taking pot shots at any opportunity.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
He does have a good point: are we building a pro competition, or just a feeder for the Wallabies. Clearly, you know his position.

Besides the "comprehensive review" that you mention, a few paragraphs dedicated to on-field leadership.

But rather than defend Nic, he talked about how good Sean McMahon is as Captain:

In his role as Rebels captain, he never accepts anything less than victory. “Sean’s a wonderful guy and a great player but we’re not building a professional club around him,” Cox said.

Me see changes afoot.

In a lot of previous interviews with Cox he has really talked up TT. I thought it was interesting that he didn't mention him in this one.

No mistaking his criticism of the on-field leaders though. Ouch. I expect we'll have a new captain pretty soon.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
In a lot of previous interviews with Cox he has really talked up TT. I thought it was interesting that he didn't mention him in this one.

No mistaking his criticism of the on-field leaders though. Ouch. I expect we'll have a new captain pretty soon.
"He has the full support of the board, they are right behind him".

With steak knives.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don't mind the notion of overseas players playing for the Rebels but they have to be quality. No point getting in Japanese wingers who will sit on the bench, or kiwi players who can't get a contract over there, don't even get me started on BV. Unless they are a genuine starter in the 15 no point signing them.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
We need overseas signings to be Delve, Horie, Somerville, Robinson, Thomson, Mafi, Ellison, Woodward level.

Otherwise there's little point in recruiting them IMO.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Talk of Kurtley coming back to Oz. Wouldn't it rile up our friends north of the border if we signed him back at the Rebels? Wouldn't put it past Coxy to at least have a shot, he is a businessman after all.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Talk of Kurtley coming back to Oz. Wouldn't it rile up our friends north of the border if we signed him back at the Rebels? Wouldn't put it past Coxy to at least have a shot, he is a businessman after all.
Should be no chance the Tahs can fit him in their salary cap. ARU top ups need to be abolished and just added to salary caps so that all teams can attract talent.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Should be no chance the Tahs can fit him in their salary cap. ARU top ups need to be abolished and just added to salary caps so that all teams can attract talent.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Who exactly have the Tahs added to replace all the higher paid players who have left in the last year or two?

Top ups are never likely to disappear because the needs of the Super Rugby teams don't match those of the Wallabies.

It would be disastrous for the Wallabies if the 25 highest paid players in Australian rugby played in 5 positions.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Who exactly have the Tahs added to replace all the higher paid players who have left in the last year or two?

Top ups are never likely to disappear because the needs of the Super Rugby teams don't match those of the Wallabies.

It would be disastrous for the Wallabies if the 25 highest paid players in Australian rugby played in 5 positions.

With Folau, Foley, Phipps, Hooper, Horne, Latu, Kepu, Skelton and Mumm in the squad. I don't know how you would have room for Beale. Couple of other players in the squad would not be cheap too.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)

The issue with the top ups is that they don't seem to be included in the clubs' salary caps. For example, I read somewhere that the Tahs only pay Izzy around $150,000. His value is significantly higher than that but only the $150k is included in the cap. This advantages some teams more than others.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
With Folau, Foley, Phipps, Hooper, Horne, Latu, Kepu, Skelton and Mumm in the squad. I don't know how you would have room for Beale. Couple of other players in the squad would not be cheap too.

They haven't been able to keep Horne. He is leaving at the end of the season.

Kepu and Mumm made a decision to come home. Both would have taken pay cuts. Kepu is clearly getting ARU money and Mumm might be as well.

I doubt Latu or Skelton would be on big dollars.

The Tahs like the Reds benefit from being where a lot of the players come from. The players in the bottom half of the squad come substantially cheaper than they do for the Rebels and Force.

The issue with the top ups is that they don't seem to be included in the clubs' salary caps. For example, I read somewhere that the Tahs only pay Izzy around $150,000. His value is significantly higher than that but only the $150k is included in the cap. This advantages some teams more than others.

That is correct and I agree that teams with more Wallabies get an advantage. I don't see that changing though.

I am not trying to argue that the top ups don't favour some teams over others, but there is absolutely no way the ARU is going to do away with them to help balance the Super Rugby sides to the detriment of their biggest earner, the Wallabies.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I wouldn't be opposed to getting a bargain basement JOC (James O'Connor) on the books to fill in at 15. We also need a lock, there had been murmurs of Geoff parling, that'd be a good signing for a year or two. We also need a 10, Iv still got a smidgen of faith in JD, but JGB looks very unlikely. Ino we'd be priced out of someone like ian Maddigan, but let's offer the boy a chance to play super rugby for a year develop as a player, then return to Ireland come World Cup year. We need players like this. There is also several argentines available around the world, they seem to have a soft view on player eligibility for Argentina as long as they play super rugby, e.g. Diaz and cubeli.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Are you guys serious talking about KB (Kurtley Beale) and JOC (James O'Connor)? Understandably, you chased them out of town and celebrated their departure.

Status
Not open for further replies.