• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Was Nayacalevu not already capped by Fiji Sevens during his breakout season? AFAIK, he had a very good first season or two, but then went home during/before the 2012 season to play in a local Sevens tournament, which saw him got World Series caps and then Full XVs caps in the same year as the one he dominated locally.

Stade Francais players are definitely the best targets though, more Aussies, and the merger seems to be led by Racing.

The story goes, Melbourne -> Fiji 7s -> Fiji XV -> Top 14. This could be incorrect.

Apparently, they came over to settle into the Roosters U20 league side (there was also a brother who plays a lower tier of professional football and is capped for the 7s) and it all fell through. No idea how they landed in Melbourne though.

If they ended up at the Roosters I presume they already had resumes, but like anything this isn't as nice of a story.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
  • Waisea Nayacalevu - played his breakout season in Melbourne Club Football, has strong connections here. Why he wasn't signed to be the first 'Sefa' I'll never know. The Rebels' Fijian clique may help this, though I understand they are from very different parts of Fiji.

This comment made me think of Telusa Veainu and how on earth did we not offer this man a contract after a few matches with the Rising. :(. Just about/if not the best 15 in the Premiership. Instead we have ended up with Ben Volavola.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
This comment made me think of Telusa Veainu and how on earth did we not offer this man a contract after a few matches with the Rising. :(. Just about/if not the best 15 in the Premiership. Instead we have ended up with Ben Volavola.

Veainu was contracted with the Rebels. Just another TT stuff up, wasted his talent. Was playing more for Melbourne Unicorns than Rebels.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Veainu was contracted with the Rebels. Just another TT stuff up, wasted his talent. Was playing more for Melbourne Unicorns than Rebels.

Did TT personally offend you? I mean I won't defend the bloke's 2017 results, but on my entire time participating in and reading this forum it's just constant attacks from you. This is over years.

Highlights include -
  • Constantly saying you dislike his tactics, signings, etc.
  • You noting he's never been a successful coach (which I don't believe to be true)
  • You saying he only got the Rebels role because it financially suited the ARU
Either you're an insider, or you're just projecting a whole lot of cognative bias. For all we know Veinu would have been terrible if he stayed at the Rebels. He wouldn't be the first guy to look good in the NRC or the English Premiership but terrible in Super rugby.

I very much suspect that in a different context TT would probably do well as a coach. Munster being the optimal example, where he's the 2nd most successful coach of the professional era.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I very much suspect that in a different context TT would probably do well as a coach. Munster being the optimal example, where he's the 2nd most successful coach of the professional era.

2nd most Successful? Your kidding me right.

2009 - Touch the European Champions and missed out on knock out stages for the first time in the clubs history.

2010 - Semi finals Europe,

2011 - Missed out on the Quarters, was able to win the Pro 12 final against a Leinster side that had won the Heineken Cup the week before.

Would rank Jerry Holland a miles ahead of TT, at least he never dropped a game in Limerick.

TT has made some shocking decisions over his time at the club, have you forgot above the trashing from Force we received when he made 6 changes after 1 game.

Or the endless amount of locks who have left since he took over.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Veainu just made too many breaks for TT's liking. didn't fit the mould of big outside back winning the collisions. as i said once before if you have the ability to avoid the collision in the first place then you don't need big, just skill. on the few occasions he got a run for the Rebels he always impressed.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
2nd most Successful? Your kidding me right.

2009 - Touch the European Champions and missed out on knock out stages for the first time in the clubs history.

2010 - Semi finals Europe,

2011 - Missed out on the Quarters, was able to win the Pro 12 final against a Leinster side that had won the Heineken Cup the week before.

Would rank Jerry Holland a miles ahead of TT, at least he never dropped a game in Limerick.

TT has made some shocking decisions over his time at the club, have you forgot above the trashing from Force we received when he made 6 changes after 1 game.

Or the endless amount of locks who have left since he took over.

This is what I mean about cognitive bias, he literally won the 2nd most games (as well as two Pro12 titles) at Munster.

Your examples to the contrary are specific games and moments, which in a long career are easy to find.

Once again, not defending every decision he's made nor his 2017 record in particular, but it's a bit rich for a lower grade local rugby player to perpetually throw pot shots at a professional coach that's demonstrated at least some aptitude from time to time.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
This is what I mean about cognitive bias, he literally won the 2nd most games (as well as two Pro12 titles) at Munster.

Your examples to the contrary are specific games and moments, which in a long career are easy to find.

Once again, not defending every decision he's made nor his 2017 record in particular, but it's a bit rich for a lower grade local rugby player to perpetually throw pot shots at a professional coach that's demonstrated at least some aptitude from time to time.

C'mon amirite! It's the internet; the home of baseless allegations and cognitive bias.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don't mind TT, however am under the impression that his time has come to an end at the Rebels. Sometimes players need another voice and on top of that coaches need a new environment.

Phone call happening at 3:30pm according to the Australian.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Just in time to potentially ruin my day.

If a team has to go, then so be it, I just hope it's been done to improve the game in Australia in the long term and not just to create some short term turn around in results. I'd also be very dissapointed if a team was named or at least decided on until seasons end. A sample size of 3 weeks isn't enough to build conclusions from.

I will have my fingers crossed for a 3x6 format

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
C'mon amirite! It's the internet; the home of baseless allegations and cognitive bias.
Haha, not bad by you.

I don't mind TT, howeveram under the impression that his time has come to an end at the Rebels. Sometimes players need another voice and on top of that coaches need a new environment.
I basically agree here. If something is not working, and you have a decent sample size of information, time to switch things up.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Thinking about this meeting today, the team that gets the boot won't be motivated for the rest of the season.

Asking players to perform when they know they have no future at the club is a big ask.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Why would the Cheetahs boss know more than any individual Australian Super Rugby boss? I'm not taking this as fact.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Why would the Cheetahs boss know more than any individual Australian Super Rugby boss? I'm not taking this as fact.

Much like the rest of the internet. Sounds like he's trying to save his skin more so than share facts.

Regardless, the "preferred" position of the Unions can still be veto'ed by the broadcasters. Much like FoxSports, I can't see SupaSports being happy with a massive reduction in content (2 teams gone).

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Does anyone else have the impression that Sydney's rugby intellectuals are starting to push the case to shaft the Rebels?

Just about all of the negative tripe/pro-dumping articles in the SMH lately have a prominent Rebels photo. As far as I can tell they haven't written any assassination pieces about the Force or Brumbies, like the one by Paxinos last week. They're now running a poll on which team to cut.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I don't mind TT, however am under the impression that his time has come to an end at the Rebels. Sometimes players need another voice and on top of that coaches need a new environment.
*snip

I agree. I've criticised TT as much as anyone but generally he seems on par with the other Australian Super Rugby coaches. I imagine he has put everything he has into the job as well.

One thing in TT's favour is the low profile of Rugby in Melbourne. If he were an AFL coach with his record the media here would be hounding him relentlessly.

It's time to make a change, if we have a future.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Does anyone else have the impression that Sydney's rugby intellectuals are starting to push the case to shaft the Rebels?

Just about all of the negative tripe/pro-dumping articles in the SMH lately have a prominent Rebels photo. As far as I can tell they haven't written any assassination pieces about the Force or Brumbies, like the one by Paxinos last week. They're now running a poll on which team to cut.
I love how NZ want teams cut but to keep the Sunwolves. They should be the first team cut with only 3 weeks of pre-season two years in a row.

Status
Not open for further replies.