• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I thought at first it was satire when the article "quotes two (unnamed) sources" that it's gonna happen. Make this shit up why don't you.

source.gif

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
The big argument for the Rebels is that you guys are creating some stellar U20s who will be the backbone of a great team if you can survive the next few years. Don't know much about your finances/operating costs though.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Payto and Panda deliver again:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/c02d9ee88a5869f3696e634a0ace224d

Highlights:
1. Genia interested in Melbourne. But, indecision about comp structure might deliver him back to Qld. If they cost us a decent shot at Genia, I'm gonna fuckin riot. Then again, we are allowed to sign current Wallabies, so nothing stopping us now...
2. Little Red signed only signed until the end of this year.
3. They shoot down the Geerob/Fairfax rumour about the Rebels chop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
One journalist saying rumor we are gone another saying genia wanting to talk to us. Haha. It's ridiculous atm

The big argument for the Rebels is that you guys are creating some stellar U20s who will be the backbone of a great team if you can survive the next few years. Don't know much about your finances/operating costs though.

Agreed. People that are throwing out the assumption Melbourne won't produce have no idea about melb rugby. The talent is coming through, it just takes time, for gods sake we haven't even been around for a single generation to have grown up with pathways. The u20s are awesome and the school teams have already surpassed wa and act plus aren't far off nsw and qld, all and I stress all Victorian products.

As for any comparison with the lack of storm players from melb, once again they are short sighted. Unlike most the other states the local union competition is considerably stronger than its league counterpart. Victorians also show a complete disdain for the nrl, where as the union harbors no grudges. The reason for the storm being popular is 20% success 80% because the locals feel they were harshly done by in a crazy pro nsw agenda (dumb ino, but they have a complex against anything nsw, which rugby is not associated with).

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Payto and Panda deliver again:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/c02d9ee88a5869f3696e634a0ace224d

Highlights:
1. Genia interested in Melbourne. But, indecision about comp structure might deliver him back to Qld. If they cost us a decent shot at Genia, I'm gonna fuckin riot. Then again, we are allowed to sign current Wallabies, so nothing stopping us now.
2. Little Red signed only signed until the end of this year.
3. They shoot down the Geerob/Fairfax rumour about the Rebels chop.

Are you able to copy and paste the article. Pls.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Shit, didn't realise it was behind a paywall. Got the link from twitter.

Here's the Genia bit:

WILL Genia has been eyeing a sensational move to the Melbourne Rebels, but SANZAAR’s dithering on the future of Super Rugby could deliver the star No.9 back to Queensland.

Genia and his family like the idea of settling in Melbourne and his camp has held discussions with the franchise.

That’s why Rebels halfback Nick Stirzaker doesn’t have a new contract offer and back-up Ben Meehan is off to London Irish.

But with speculation rife that the Rebels are in the firing line in a possible revamped 15-team competition next year, the Reds could secure their former champion once again.

SANZAAR is sabotaging Will Genia’s return.
The Brumbies and Force would certainly be interested in Genia’s services but the key factor is whether Genia and his family would want to live in Canberra or Perth. Doubtful.

COUP: Genia returning to Australian rugby

The Rebels securing Genia would be their greatest signing to date, but how they can possibly offer him a firm contract offer now, without being certain they’ll be around next season, is impossible.

That uncertainty will work for Queensland, who have re-signed halfback Nick Frisby but are well aware of the on-field prowess and off-field marketing power Genia would bring.

PAYTO & PANDA PODCAST: Super Rugby’s expansion plans and round 4 tips and teams

On the SANZAAR front, we can tell you that despite reports surfacing from South Africa that the Rebels, Cheetahs and Southern Kings will all be axed, no specific teams were mentioned by unions for cutting at the London meeting.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Article also notes that Bill Pulvers contract is up at the end of 2017. Wants another 3 years.

Feel free to insert your Daryl Kerrigan quotes here...

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Forum rules is not to post the whole article. Can always get into the article if you google the key words and go directly to the article not just the website.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Snippets are OK.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Typing or pasting the headline of a paywalled article (in this case "Genia’s secret Rebels talks being sabotaged") into your browser will almost always get you around the paywall.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
^^^^^^^^typing the headline of a paywalled article (in this case "Genia’s secret Rebels talks being sabotaged") into your browser will almost always get you around the paywall.
Also if you have a gmail account, you can set up news alerts for Melbourne Rebels and you will end up with alot of emails when ever a article is published. Its alot of the same thing but its gets past the paywall all day long.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
One journalist saying rumor we are gone another saying genia wanting to talk to us. Haha. It's ridiculous atm

Agreed. People that are throwing out the assumption Melbourne won't produce have no idea about melb rugby. The talent is coming through, it just takes time, for gods sake we haven't even been around for a single generation to have grown up with pathways. The u20s are awesome and the school teams have already surpassed wa and act plus aren't far off nsw and qld, all and I stress all Victorian products.

It shouldn't be any surprise to people outside Vic. You look at the guys we put out prior to having a Super Rugby side. Ewen McKenzie, Andrew Heath, Tamati Horua, Digby Ioane, Christian Lealifano, and so on. The talent pool has always been here. Now there is a talent pathway.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Article also notes that Bill Pulvers contract is up at the end of 2017. Wants another 3 years.

Feel free to insert your Daryl Kerrigan quotes here.

He should be able to roll the whole of Australian rugby by then.
Or put another way: Pulver: Rob dug a hole. Tell 'em Rob.
Rob: I dug a hole.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
The line about genia wanting to settle family in melb is a major facet I believe could work for melb. In a time where money from Europe is drawing players, living conditions etc are key to keeping players around. In the nrl the trend has been towards players choosing major cities over the smaller ones. It's why the storm have kept so many players

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Storm had a great crowd tonight even though it was a Thursday.

Hopefully Rebels can get similar home crowds this year.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Storm had a great crowd tonight even though it was a Thursday.

Hopefully Rebels can get similar home crowds this year.
My thoughts were not only will that crowd return (I watched and it was a thriller) but they will bring some mates along. Hope for a good crowd tomorrow.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
You know, I'm starting to really like Coxy. Fuck the CEO media ban he says, I'm going to speak to the media as the "owner".

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...r/news-story/8d1557855ae5d8f59eb35e6fdc0dbd26

The good bit:

Cox dismissed the report as “mere baseless rumour” but he also laid the blame squarely at the foot of SANZAAR for managing its strategic review so ineptly.

“We are deeply upset at the managing and messaging of this whole process by SANZAAR and think this is incredibly destructive to not only the Melbourne Rebels but to the Super Rugby competition,” Cox said. “We are committed to the competition, and this is destabilising to our sponsors, our members, our fans and, importantly, our players. We have a match (tonight) and yet this is what we’re focused on.
“There are lots and lots of baseless rumours and we feel for not only our own members, fans and players but also those from the Western Force and the Brumbies, and we think this process could have been much better handled.
“It certainly hasn’t been of a standard one would expect.”
Certainly, the competition has been trashed mercilessly by its own parent body and, while the uncertainly continues, the damage done will rise exponentially.
“I’ve not seen an organisation shoot itself in the foot multiple times,” Cox complained.

I'm starting to see that Wayne Smith is somewhat friendly to the Rebels plight. Some favourable articles from him.

but, he touches on one key point: the re-signing ban. If this doesn't get resolved, and quickly, our list will be decimated for 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom