• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm not saying he's a bad choice I would have short-listed Coleman for the Wallabies Capitan. Just Genia may have been a better choice.

He is going to need to make tactical decisions about when to kick for touch or take the 3, when to pack down the scrum. He's always going to be making tactical decisions, that's pretty much the job of the capitan.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I don't think Genia's a terrible choice, but I also think he will be injured plenty.
Also, the choice to go for touch or go for 3 is decided by the coach, the players know what they're expected to do in what situation based on team meetings. It's not exactly very complicated.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm not saying he's a bad choice I would have short-listed Coleman for the Wallabies Capitan. Just Genia may have been a better choice given the circumstances.

He is going to need to make tactical decisions about when to kick for touch or take the 3, when to pack down the scrum. He's always going to be making tactical decisions, that's pretty much the job of the capitan.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I think when it comes to that stuff you will always see the younger new captain asking the actual tacticians for advice. The play making axis of 9/10 especially when there is an older head like Genia, usually get a say because they determine what is kickable, what isn't, whats a good place for a set piece move and what isn't based on opportunities they have spotted etc etc. When he was fill in captain, Kerevi always asked Quade and Moore for advice for example.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I don't think Genia's a terrible choice, but I also think he will be injured plenty.
Also, the choice to go for touch or go for 3 is decided by the coach, the players know what they're expected to do in what situation based on team meetings. It's not exactly very complicated.

I am surprised it isn't someone with more of a Rebels heritage

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
yes i thought Fainga'a would be an ideal choice, however i think Coleman will be a good captain nonetheless

Agreed, great unit, it is just the "look" of the Force taking over the Rebels continues ..................................

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Agreed, great unit, it is just the "look" of the Force taking over the Rebels continues ............

Which is exactly what happened. Another reason for the selection is that Coleman is a certain starter, whereas Faainga may not always be first choice.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Which is exactly what happened. Another reason for the selection is that Coleman is a certain starter, whereas Faainga may not always be first choice.

Sigh. The team will have roughly the same number of Rebels and Force in the starting side with 1-2 new players. It's a merger. You then pick the right people for the right roles and Coleman is the right person.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Sigh. The team will have roughly the same number of Rebels and Force in the starting side with 1-2 new players. It's a merger. You then pick the right people for the right roles and Coleman is the right person.

by my reckoning there will be 7 - 8 Rebels and 5 - 4 ex Force with Adams, Genia and Talakai a in the starting 15. Probably more Ex-WF on the bench , at this stage anyway.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Not to mention the full Force coaching panel of 4 coaches.
The new Head of Athletic Performance also ex Force.
Nick Stiles also a former Assistant with Dave Wessels.
So imo you can add Fitness, Playing style, culture and community engagement.
How did the above go with Tony in charge?
Basically the same Team by a different name.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Not to mention the full Force coaching panel of 4 coaches.
The new Head of Athletic Performance also ex Force.
Nick Stiles also a former Assistant with Dave Wessels.
So imo you can add Fitness, Playing style, culture and community engagement.
How did the above go with Tony in charge?
Basically the same Team by a different name.

Oh god. You'd claim your neighbors cat if it slept on a corner of your property for a night if given the chance.

Your constant bashing isn't doing any of your fellow Force compatriots any favors, as they make their point through a dignified level which definitely helps the level of compassion for them (how could it not). I understand you don't represent the majority of them, but your constant tears are the loudest in the crowd and just reflects poorly on those that equally have been slighted through this decision. Your arguments simply drowns out the proper dignified and articulated arguments they are trying to put forward.

You are the extremist in a crowd of protesters who then get branded under the same umbrella due to your actions. In other words bugger off

For your information under Tony we had 3 season, 2 of these included 7 wins.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Oh god. You'd claim your neighbors cat if it slept on a corner of your property for a night if given the chance.

Your constant bashing isn't doing any of your fellow Force compatriots any favors, as they make their point through a dignified level which definitely helps the level of compassion for them (how could it not). I understand you don't represent the majority of them, but your constant tears are the loudest in the crowd and just reflects poorly on those that equally have been slighted through this decision. Your arguments simply drowns out the proper dignified and articulated arguments they are trying to put forward.

You are the extremist in a crowd of protesters who then get branded under the same umbrella due to your actions. In other words bugger off

For your information under Tony we had 3 season, 2 of these included 7 wins.

Be as abusive as you like, you still represent the minority. Anyway I was just adding some facts to the discussion, if you don't like it ignore them. I'll leave you to it.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Does anybody know if the Rebels are getting a main Sponsor this season? Must admit that I am not very familiar with how Sponsorhip works at this level and off course you don't want to "cheapen the brand" but at this stage you would think that they would make a quick deal with someone. Specially since all the club sides at a lower tier have sponsors and again I am not sure how this things work.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
by my reckoning there will be 7 - 8 Rebels and 5 - 4 ex Force with Adams, Genia and Talakai a in the starting 15. Probably more Ex-WF on the bench , at this stage anyway.

Yep, that looks just about right. Ex-Force players most likely to start are Faulkner, Coleman, Phillip, Meakes and DHP. Others in with a chance but more likely on the bench are Ruru, Daly and maybe a hooker. Can't see much change to last year's Rebels' backrow, and I'd think Uelese, Weeks, Mafi, Fainga'a, Timani, Hodge, Koriobete and Naivalu are almost certain to start if fit, while other transferees and incumbents like Genia, Debraczini and Adams will probably make up the balance.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Bet Wessels does better at melding the Rebs and new players than we are doing with old and new rebels fans.

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)
Bet Wessels does better at melding the Rebs and new players than we are doing with old and new rebels fans.

Mate, your not setting a very high benchmark there.

I have a lot of sympathy for the force fans having seen my beloved Fitzroy railroaded out of the AFL. I couldn't follow Brisbane nor any other team and I still find it rubs me a bit raw, particularly with all the help other teams got after us. If the comments seem out of line to you let it lie, they were hard done by IMHO and I imagine the hurt will be there for a bit.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
To be fair, Adam Coleman is Tasmanian.............

One might say he's returned 'home' with Tasmania becoming part of the Rebels catchment.

And probably the best 'local' candidate for the captaincy.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Mate, your not setting a very high benchmark there.

I have a lot of sympathy for the force fans having seen my beloved Fitzroy railroaded out of the AFL. I couldn't follow Brisbane nor any other team and I still find it rubs me a bit raw, particularly with all the help other teams got after us. If the comments seem out of line to you let it lie, they were hard done by IMHO and I imagine the hurt will be there for a bit.

Mate, you've missed 100's of posts that would clarify your thoughts. At any rate it's off topic. I still rate Wessels as good as any, and better than most for merging the player group.

Status
Not open for further replies.