• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
not unsurprising, but unfortunate for the three. and a bit disappointing also for us fans.
edit: interestingly Stirzaker still on the players list

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'd contend that both Reid and Shipperley have seen their best days and are now on the slide. Fou on the other hand has more in front of him than he has experienced to date. His cutting is a shame if it forces him o/s. Cottrell's signing is a plus for the Rebels.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Fou did consecutive ACLs I think, and still hasn't played a game at any level since before the Olympics?

It's definitely harsh to cut him, but I think with the size of the squad (and particularly the depth of the outside backs) there wasn't really an alternative if we're committed to cuts.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Would love to see either of them back in Qld - carry an extra one now in anticipation of cutting Maranta at the end the season.

T

TOCC

You'd have to say Parma Fou has been treated very badly. Left sevens for the Rebels, hasn't really had a shot at all and now he's got nothing. Just wrong on every level.

Hmm I don’t know, he originally signed with the Rebels for 2016 but was then granted a release to play in the Olympics instead, which he tore his ACL prior too anyway. They still took him on for the remainder of 2016 and 2017 and helped through his rehab.

I think they’ve done a fairly reasonable job for a player that has been injured the whole time, he chose to leave Sevens so it was a gamble which he took, and unfortunately injuries have hurt Him.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Still no major sponsor for 2018? thats a big concern

It certainly is. On paper, the playing squad appear to be the strongest powerhouse in Australia and I expect most Rebels fans (like me) are looking forward to thrashing a few opponents (read Tahs and Reds for a start) so why doesn't a corporate want to associate with what should be a very solid team? I can only suggest that the spectre of private ownership weighs the clubs potential down. Since Mr Cox acquired the club he immediately transferred the business ownership from MRRU Ltd to MRRU Pty Ltd and was no longer forced to publish his annual reports. The Senate inquiry unearthed some interesting cash flows from the ARU to MRRUPL and out to Imperium and its related companies - all good for a private company. Rebels is now owned by the VRU, a community based organisation and it is still a private company which does not have to lodge financial statements. Who are the Directors? - largely the same group who were before Imperium came aboard and there is a big cross over with the VRU Board too. Could it be that some corporates would like to see transparency in the financial reports rather find out later that the MRRUPL Board members who have private companies and trusts have siphoned off their millions in "consultancy fees" . Just saying

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Jordy Reid, Parma Fou, Dom Shipperley all cut :(

If true, Shippers should head back to the Reds, could definitely help out with lack of depth at 15 or even the wings if needed. Jordy still has plenty left in the tank, would be a good pick up for the Tahs. Fou to France or back to the sevens.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Jordy would seem to be properly broken, he has only just started to jog again. I would love to see him playing SS for Manly then pick up a contract but that may be a bridge too far.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Jordy would seem to be properly broken, he has only just started to jog again. I would love to see him playing SS for Manly then pick up a contract but that may be a bridge too far.

Jordy is not contracted, nor delisted. His staying in Melbourne until his rehab is complete and than the Rebels will make a decision on him. Think it's called Work cover for the rest of us non professional sportsman. When you get injured in the work place they can't fire you etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.