• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

as i said in the match thread, "new faces, same schtick"

Apologies SP, I didn't read the match report so I wasn't deliberately plagiarising you! Clearly I wasn't the only one who picked up on it. It was kinda demoralising, to be honest. Anyway, we won 3 x trials last year and got the wooden spoon. We lost 3 x trials this year so does that make us champions in waiting? Is that how the universe works?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Interesting point Tex. Having watched the trial, it did appear that the Rebels ran out of steam at around the 65 minute mark, give or take. I understand that they were scrambling to cover the loss of 2 players for 10 minutes which would have taken a toll, but there was a huge focus on fitness in the pre-season. The boys certainly looked like they were being thrashed in training. Is it possible that they are still massively under-cooked leading into round 1?

Or possibly they are over cooked and need to taper badly running in the first round?

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Apologies SP, I didn't read the match report so I wasn't deliberately plagiarising you! Clearly I wasn't the only one who picked up on it. It was kinda demoralising, to be honest. Anyway, we won 3 x trials last year and got the wooden spoon. We lost 3 x trials this year so does that make us champions in waiting? Is that how the universe works?

didn't feel plagiarised, merely agreeing with your astute observation. with regards to the universe one can only hope so. ( to tell the truth i am not as confident on the 2018 season now, as i was six weeks ago)

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
I don't know, it was a trial, they played a great game at the start. Things started to become unhinged - players dont want to risk an injury for a trial, they let things slip that they know they wouldn't let slip in an actual game. We got to see Tahs attack - perhaps that was the game plan - now to the video analysis of our response to that - and we didn't give them too much of what our attack game plan will be like - or maybe I'm dreaming, but I think Wessels is a considered man and that could be his way

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Interesting point Tex. Having watched the trial, it did appear that the Rebels ran out of steam at around the 65 minute mark, give or take. I understand that they were scrambling to cover the loss of 2 players for 10 minutes which would have taken a toll, but there was a huge focus on fitness in the pre-season. The boys certainly looked like they were being thrashed in training. Is it possible that they are still massively under-cooked leading into round 1?

I didn't see enough to comment on the whole game, only tuned in at the 50th minute. At that stage Kurtley had his hands all over the play and was cutting us up, and there were a couple of 50m turn-arounds. Meh, it happens! Re. fitness, all the comments from both Waratahs and Rebels have pointed to PB fitness scores and the like, but they say that at the start of most seasons. They certainly did last year then Cheika came out and essentially said that most blokes in the Wallabies setup were coming in undercooked.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Unfortunately the Rebels recruitment guys forgot that without a quality 10 the backs spend most of the game watching forwards hitting up and chasing box kicks. Too many props/locks and o/s backs. No real quality in the crucial 10 spot. Hodge and Horwitz are more than serviceable 12's but JD is not up to it as a starting 10. I personally don't rate him at all. Too many dumb errors and flaky defense. Adams may have a future there but nowhere near ready now. It will have to be either Hodge or Maddocks. Maddocks has all the attributes and could be a gun... so looking forward to him having a run there asap.

I hear there is a half decent 10 running around in Brisbane Premier grade looking for a gig somewhere?

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Jeez some of you are all harsh on JD. For those that actually watched the game yesterday he didn't do much wrong, but he also didn't do much right, so on a balance of things had an average game. It looked like he was trying to run patterns and accommodate a structure that had been designed for the game, like most 10s do in a trial match. Unfortunately the Tahs played a high intensity, up and in defensive game which probably required a few cross field kicks or dinks over the top.

I hope he is there week one and confident he can do a good job.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Jeez some of you are all harsh on JD. For those that actually watched the game yesterday he didn't do much wrong, but he also didn't do much right, so on a balance of things had an average game. It looked like he was trying to run patterns and accommodate a structure that had been designed for the game, like most 10s do in a trial match. Unfortunately the Tahs played a high intensity, up and in defensive game which probably required a few cross field kicks or dinks over the top.

I'd hazard a guess and say that's what's going to be coming every week this year. ie: 'high intensity, up and in defensive game' JD has a decent highlight reel but over the last few seasons you'd have to agree he has been pretty disappointing considering the opportunities he's had. He just doesn't seem to have the instincts to play 10. I'd suggest his future lay at 15, if he has one at this level. Not a great defender, doesn't hit the line nearly hard enough when carrying (and he is a very big guy!), throws a lot of poor passes and generally doesn't play near the standard he is probably capable of. Could probably say this about plenty of players in Super Rugby, but I did take an interest in him when he kicked off his career in Melb and have been pretty underwhelmed unfortunately. I'm putting him in the Ben Volavola category - given ample opportunity, didn't produce, now time to move on.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
2018 Melbourne Rebels Squad

Tayler Adams, Jermaine Ainsley, Adam Coleman, Angus Cottrell, Ben Daley, Tom English, Colby Fainga’a, Tetera Faulkner, Will Genia, Harrison Goddard, Richard Hardwick, Dane Haylett-Petty, Ross Haylett-Petty, Reece Hodge, David Horwitz, Henry Hutchison, Sam Jeffries, Marika Koroibete, Rob Leota, Jack Maddocks, Amanaki Mafi, Jack McGregor, Billy Meakes, Tom Moloney, Sefa Naivalu, Geoff Parling, Matt Philip, Anaru Rangi, Michael Ruru, Fereti Sa’aga, Sam Talakai, Lopeti Timani, Sione Tuipulotu, Semisi Tupou, Jordan Uelese, Laurie Weeks.

No Ships, Jordy - Shame, great players

No JD - phew

lou75

Ron Walden (29)

Yep , me too. If Wessels can harness his talent and bring it out - he will be terrific - imo

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
I am a massive Tahs fan and I was at the game last night. I would not be too concerned with the score line, in fact I mentioned to my friend that it seemed like both teams were not showing too much, I suspect that most teams are doing the same and saving themselves for the 1st round, in saying this I will say that I was never fully sold on Wessels, in fact ALL Aus rugby sides were abysmal last year and the Force were pretty much the best of a bad bunch.

My observations so far after watching all sides pre season trials and Brisbane Tens

- I think the Tahs look much better than the rest and I am not saying this because I am a fan. Our fitness levels seem to be quite good and our squad is very settled, I am not confident in our back row and we will struggle at set piece

- Brumbies and Reds look rubbish, it is going to be very long season if they don't switch on soon

- Rebels have the most potential and hopefully they come through with the goods for the sake of Aus rugby.

As a side note I really hope that whoever plays 9/10 for the Rebels gets a fair chance and not get crucified after one game, in fact this goes for all teams. We have to be realistic and we cannot expect a massive turnaround.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I am a massive Tahs fan and I was at the game last night. I would not be too concerned with the score line, in fact I mentioned to my friend that it seemed like both teams were not showing too much, I suspect that most teams are doing the same and saving themselves for the 1st round, in saying this I will say that I was never fully sold on Wessels, in fact ALL Aus rugby sides were abysmal last year and the Force were pretty much the best of a bad bunch.

My observations so far after watching all sides pre season trials and Brisbane Tens

- I think the Tahs look much better than the rest and I am not saying this because I am a fan. Our fitness levels seem to be quite good and our squad is very settled, I am not confident in our back row and we will struggle at set piece

- Brumbies and Reds look rubbish, it is going to be very long season if they don't switch on soon

- Rebels have the most potential and hopefully they come through with the goods for the sake of Aus rugby.

As a side note I really hope that whoever plays 9/10 for the Rebels gets a fair chance and not get crucified after one game, in fact this goes for all teams. We have to be realistic and we cannot expect a massive turnaround.

Nice post mate, there is a lot of hysteria around everything in Aus rugby, 50% of it warranted 50% not. I like you am hopeful of an improved performance from all teams, so much so if someone offered me now that the Rebels would come last in the Aus conference but it meant either the Reds, Tahs or Brumbies won the competition id take it. I don't agree with the Brumbies assessment tho, think they will be half decent this year. Best of luck to all the teams, naturally i hope its the Rebels on top but if it can't be them i hope its one of the other 3 teams.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Nice post mate, there is a lot of hysteria around everything in Aus rugby, 50% of it warranted 50% not. I like you am hopeful of an improved performance from all teams, so much so if someone offered me now that the Rebels would come last in the Aus conference but it meant either the Reds, Tahs or Brumbies won the competition id take it. I don't agree with the Brumbies assessment tho, think they will be half decent this year. Best of luck to all the teams, naturally i hope its the Rebels on top but if it can't be them i hope its one of the other 3 teams.

Indeed best of luck to all the teams, I hope we win some games but also that we play good rugby win/loose or draw, one thing that all teams have to be aware of is that your game needs to evolve as the completion gets on, every team should have enough variety in their game plan to last the season. Can't wait for kick off!

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
2018 Melbourne Rebels Squad

Tayler Adams, Jermaine Ainsley, Adam Coleman, Angus Cottrell, Ben Daley, Tom English, Colby Fainga’a, Tetera Faulkner, Will Genia, Harrison Goddard, Richard Hardwick, Dane Haylett-Petty, Ross Haylett-Petty, Reece Hodge, David Horwitz, Henry Hutchison, Sam Jeffries, Marika Koroibete, Rob Leota, Jack Maddocks, Amanaki Mafi, Jack McGregor, Billy Meakes, Tom Moloney, Sefa Naivalu, Geoff Parling, Matt Philip, Anaru Rangi, Michael Ruru, Fereti Sa’aga, Sam Talakai, Lopeti Timani, Sione Tuipulotu, Semisi Tupou, Jordan Uelese, Laurie Weeks.

No Ships, Jordy - Shame, great players

No JD - phew
one assumes JD is in the supplementary squad, Wessels nominated him as the likely starting 10 in the paper today

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
one assumes JD is in the supplementary squad, Wessels nominated him as the likely starting 10 in the paper today

This is baffling. JD is not in the main squad but is the likely starting 10 next week. The 10 is the most important player in the team after no. 3 and no. 18 but he's not in the main squad???

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
How come Adams is seemingly out of the race to start at 10?

i am/was a big fan but he hasn't done as well in the games so far as i'd expected/hoped. he has overplayed his hand a bit and his defence certainly needs work, not tackle shy but tackle ineffective. im hoping my earlier predictions come true and he will be a standout.JD has been better in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.