• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

Super win. Should have been two red cards, but hell, I’ll take any 45-19 win in round 1.

Best moment, Tommy English putting Dane HP over the chalk completely unselfishly, when he probably could have gone himself. Anyone who says there is a gap between the cohesion of the Force and Rebels players is full of shit; these guys are rusty as expected in round 1, but they are a team beyond any shadow of a doubt.

Fuck the nay-sayers; our team is on the move, lads and ladies. Will we win the comp based on that game? Probably not. Will we win more than we lose? Absolutely.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Sorry but the more old rebels players they can get rid of the better. It's basicly the force vs the reds with Genia

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Can't please everyone; tonight's game was the Rebels highest ever score and most tries scored in a match. I think you'd take that.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Can't please everyone; tonight's game was the Rebels highest ever score and most tries scored in a match. I think you'd take that.
Yeah, didn’t realise that until much later. Just a bit of rust (hopefully) and glad we have a few more games befor we play a NZ team

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I'm extremely happy with that RESULT.

However: there's a number of mistakes outside of the simple lack of cohesion and time together (Scrum engagements, support at ruck time v Set piece and broken play defense) that I think teams like the Brumbies and Kiwis will exploit hard.

Ideally same starting team for next week IMO, throw Marika on the bench for Tupou. Make personnel changes if needed for Round 3

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I won’t take much from the game except the thought it’s another game to gel. We were ok and beat a 14 man team as expected. Didn’t think reds were shocking, if they can keep 15 on the field they will come away with a few w’s this season. Round 6/7 is the time to judge this team, hopefully by that stage we are above .500.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
We really need to look for a better option at 10. JD is OK but too many mistakes: kicking ball out when man on the inside, knock on after taking eyes off the ball, place kicking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
maybe I was watching a bit of a different game than everyone else: but I thought JD didn't make too many mistakes: at least not significantly more than anyone else.

I don't think he's "THE ANSWER(TM)" by any means, but the way people are talking it's as if we'd lost and he was the sole reason.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I know Genia gets a lot of shit for slowing down play by over scooting from the base, but fuck he looked good doing it last night. Had all the defenders around the breakdown completely sat back on their heels waiting for him to make a move.

Rebels were very inaccurate on the defender inside the ball carrier, definitely a work on this week.

All in all the card probably changed the margin of the win but I doubt it changed the result.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
maybe I was watching a bit of a different game than everyone else: but I thought JD didn't make too many mistakes: at least not significantly more than anyone else.

I don't think he's "THE ANSWER(TM)" by any means, but the way people are talking it's as if we'd lost and he was the sole reason.

First try - spread it wide leading to a score
Fifth Try - a gentle stroll through the two locks to score himself
Sixth Try - scored in the corner

Can't remember the second try other than English trying to stuff it up by not passing and it isn't in the highlights but 2 tries and an assist isn't too bad.
Kicked 5/7 conversions which isn't bad. Missed an easy one but kicked some hard ones.

Bad points - lack of communication with Genia at the start leading to a clash for the ball
- Looked incredibly flat footed towards the end of the second half
- a bit rusty

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
How is wessles playing Meeks off the bench. One of the best centres in Aus.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
How is wessles playing Meeks off the bench. One of the best centres in Aus.

Just came out of team rehab. Playing behind Hodge at 12.. Vice captain is at 13

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Just came out of team rehab. Playing behind Hodge at 12.. Vice captain is at 13

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk
Team rehab? The wallabies ?
Meeks offeres soemthing different to Hodge but I think that picks fair enough. To pick English over Meeks is laughable. I guess wessles will find that out. Maybe English smashes it during training so wessles is giving him a go.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Meeks offeres soemthing different to Hodge but I think that picks fair enough. To pick English over Meeks is laughable. I guess wessles will find that out. Maybe English smashes it during training so wessles is giving him a go.

You can't really fault English's game on Friday night, take off your Force tinted glasses for a second.

1 Try, 1 Try assist, 5 Runs for 33 meters with 3 clean breaks and 7 defenders beaten with 1 Offload. Made 5 tackles with 1 missed.

English is highly underrated player in the Rebels back line, he was included in the Wallabies tour squad a few season ago for a reason. I honestly don't know how everyone is so confused by the situation.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

There's not a lot to suggest that Meakes is a good 13 though which is where English is playing.

As Tomikin said, Meakes has been injured through most of the preseason.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Meakes is better then English. Has a much better footwork and passing game and what he lacks in Englishes size he makes up for in pure heart. English looked good against the reds. Plus the reds that were dead tired in their first Super rugby match and with 14 men.

Meakes will get his chance and keep the jumper.

Isn't Hodge a better option at 13 and meakes 12?

It's not force tinted glasses. The wallabies coaching staff would agree

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hodge has played almost zero football at 13. I would definitely have English ahead of Hodge as a 13 right now.

I think Meakes will get plenty of opportunity as the season progresses but I don't necessarily think Meakes at 12 and Hodge at 13 is a stronger combination than Hodge at 12 and English at 13.

Meakes is a better 12 than English. English is probably a better 13 than Meakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.