• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Let the speculation begin.

9411886090d48eb9e467dcf4c9535b41.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
i wonder if its not happy with rebels or not happy with union. neither he nor naivalu seem to be getting brought into the game much at the rebels, pretty dissapointing that a wallaby play maker like hodge can't bring them into the game.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
i wonder if its not happy with rebels or not happy with union. neither he nor naivalu seem to be getting brought into the game much at the rebels, pretty dissapointing that a wallaby play maker like hodge can't bring them into the game.

Firstly, a rumour on a league forum is a rumour on a league forum. It should carry about as much weight as some of the prognosticators from north of the tweed sharing insights into the team culture and who's friends with who at AAMI Park.

That said, he's chronically underutilised and it's an absolute shame. I was hoping he'd have found his feet and confidence to roam a bit more and insert himself into the backline ala Izzy or Maddocks, but he's yet to ignite the afterburners. Talented athlete? Absolutely. Talented union player? Jury is out.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
He's been back for 1 and a half games. I also can't see him wanting to move a year out from the WC where he is the incumbent winger.

Fully expect him to have a stormer this week and will be backing him to get over the line

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)
Is anybody else getting tired of the plague levels of box kicks the Rebels are doing this year?

I love Genia's game management but a lot of these box kicks are when as are going forward through phases (if he waits for any phases at all)

I don't hate box kicks but there are too many and in most cases we are just giving away posession

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yes i think in two or three games now the Rebels have kicked away a lot of possession and the kick chase poor.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Western Force really didn't have a chance!​
RA aid saved Rebels
The Sunday Times - Perth - 15 Apr 2018 - NICK TAYLOR
RUGBY Australia money helped clear the debt that saved the Melbourne Rebels and effectively signed the Western Force’s Super Rugby death warrant.
The revelation comes after this week’s RA announcement of a $3.8m loss for 2017, citing the messy axing of the Force as one of the factors.​
Confidential documents obtained by The Sunday Times show the Australian Rugby Union — now RA — agreed to pay former Rebels owner, New Zealand businessman Andrew Cox, $300,000 and then-director Peter Sidwell $200,000.​
The money was then paid to the Rebels.​
The payments, contained in a Deed of Settlement Release, relate to “disputes” with the Rebels over RA’s threats to axe the Rebels and directs the money to the Melbournebased club.​
The documents also state two other directors Lyndsey Cattermole and Bob Dalziel “gift” the Rebels $250,000 each. The combined amounts effectively cleared the Rebels debt of $789,811 that allowed Cox to sell the club to the Victorian Rugby Union for $1 under a Put Option agreement, effectively spelling the end of the Force as the Rebels could then not be closed.​
The document says, among others, Cox and Sidwell “had suffered loss and damage as a result of statements alleged to have been made by or on behalf of the ARU on and from 10 April 2017”.​
On April 10, RA chairman Cameron Clyne said a decision on which team would be cut would be made after consultation with the Force and rebels.​
Four days later the Rebels issued a statement saying they “unequivocally” rejected that RA could “chop or cut” the club and had notified it of its intention to seek compensation.​
The deed of settlement says Cox and Sidwell: “. respectively direct that the respective payments to them be paid to MRRUPL for the purposes of MRRUPL satisfying the Debt Free Requirement and MRRUPL agrees that these payments will be used solely for this purpose”.​
It also says Cattermole and Dalziel promise to the ARU “. they have each gifted $250,000 to MRRUPL for the purpose of MRRUPL satisfying the Debt Free requirement and MRRUPL agrees that these gifted amounts will be solely for this purpose”.​
Cox used the put option and sold 11,625,000 Rebels shares to the VRU on August 4 for $1.​
RA and the Rebels did not respond to questions.​

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
My view is given what rebels offered this season so far with that ‘roster’ they have just reconfirmed in my view they axed the wrong team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
No, we’ve moved on. So should you. You have a team to support.

I'll be only too happy to move on once this dirty deal and all those involved have been exposed and cleansed from the game.
That's the only hope for Rugby Union to move forward in Australia.

Expectant that ASIC will actually do its job!

I reckon that RA are having second thoughts about rejecting Andrew Forrest's $60 million offer as the "shrink to greatness" strategy doesn't appear to be gaining much traction.

In the mean time I'll enjoy this season of Perth based International Rugby with the new Western Force taking on the rest. Yes, WA does have a team to support but no thanks to RA.

Very confident that we'll get more than 5,500 people to the games.

Next year will continue the move to World Series Rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.