• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
You bet your arse they are; it's just common sense and due dilligence. Names of required Force players would already be on the whiteboard in the Rebels coaching/recruitment office, just waiting for axing confirmation.

And I'm sure that the reverse is true over in Force HQ, just so I'm not accused of being a "vulture".

regardless of what they say, imo the Brumbies are not out of the mix yet either.
Though I repeat again, no team should be cut.

D

daz

regardless of what they say, imo the Brumbies are not out of the mix yet either.
Though I repeat again, no team should be cut.

I am not, nor have I ever been, a supporter of the movement to keep 5 Oz teams.

I believe a team has to go. Just not mine. ;)

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Yeah, my point was that it is not all doom and gloom like some media outlets might suggest.

I still maintain they are leaving spots open to take in players from an axed team. I know, I shouldn't say that but my care factor has gone down a notch.

I was being a snarky old bitch to BR, not you. Happy that our blokes are re-signing.

B

BLR

And I'm sure that the reverse is true over in Force HQ, just so I'm not accused of being a "vulture".

Yet Force fans seem to have the tact to not go on about it.

I would still say it is being a vulture no matter what the clubs are doing behind the scenes, it is inconsiderate as a fan.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Happy to say that as a Rebels supporter, I absolutely agree with this post.

Stirz and Cummins are not Super level players. Jury still out on Fereti.

Sorry lads, I applaud the fact we are still signing, but gee, we need better players than these guys.
i think Cummins is worth keeping, he has toiled tirelessly this year and in general done a good job imo, Sa'aga is the future, Hanson a must have and the captain, well personally, wouldn't have tried too hard to keep him myself, dont think he is up to super standard as either half back or skipper.

i would move heaven and earth to keep both McMahon and Mafi even if its for half a season after the Japanese comp is done. half season from each would be very well worth whatever it cost.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Stirz and Cummins are not Super level players. Jury still out on Fereti.

I'd like to see Stirz under a different coach. He, along with most of the team, has seriously gone backwards over the past 2 years and when he started, he looked like he had so much potential.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Mafi, McMahon and Timani is the best backrow in Australia. Problem is it's happened for a total of 1 game this year.

Toby and McMahon are the only two i am disappointed about, well to a lesser extent Deb (still think he has the skills) but he needs a change to become the player he could be. Hanson i am happy to keep but Stirzacker not overly fussed, but happy to support him as he's Rebel

D

daz

Yet Force fans seem to have the tact to not go on about it.

I would still say it is being a vulture no matter what the clubs are doing behind the scenes, it is inconsiderate as a fan.

Tact. Really.

FFS, its happening. A club is going. Get your head around that fact, and then recognise that discussions on "what if" on these forums are absolutely valid.

As long as the discussions are clean, respectful and relevant, as per any thread here, then there is no problem from my POV.

If you don't like the discussion, don't read it.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
You bet your arse they are; it's just common sense and due dilligence. Names of required Force players would already be on the whiteboard in the Rebels coaching/recruitment office, just waiting for axing confirmation.

It would be hard to tell if there were a list of names the Force wanted from the Rebels at Force HQ. With McMahon and Toby Smith effectively gone, it would be such a short list that you could easily walk past it without knowing.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
It would be hard to tell if there were a list of names the Force wanted from the Rebels at Force HQ. With McMahon and Toby Smith effectively gone, it would be such a short list that you could easily walk past it without knowing.

barring perhaps a backup 12/13 in Tuipolotu and a firepower wing or 2 in Naivalu & Koroibete, I'd have to agree.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
you don't think the Force would be interested in any of Lomax, Goddard, Maddocks, McGregor or Uelese for the future ? or Hodge possibly ?

D

daz

Really? One slightly better than average year since inception and you think you are that good?

Staggeringly arrogant, and if you think that is even close to respectful, think again.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
you don't think the Force would be interested in any of Lomax, Goddard, Maddocks, McGregor or Uelese for the future ? or Hodge possibly ?

Didn't say they were the only 3, but they would be on the top of the list purely because they are what the Force are REALLY lacking. Those would be 3 I would say the Force desperately need, a firepower winger which has been missing since losing Cummins. (Though Peni is good, it's nice to have 2 considering Verityam and Newsome are still very young and a different profile of player) and if that don't have Brache again (being a foreign Marquee now as a USA player) they REALLY need a centre behind Meakes and Rona apart from Coleman. Hodge would be great but that means 2 of the better 12's in the country are playing in the same team which is not ideal.

I think ALL teams would be looking at those younger players you mentioned, plus saaga and be thinking - hey wouldn't it be great to have those young guys developing here for us. Fantastic prospects any team would be lucky to have. Those guys, along with Rodda, Tui and Thor are the hottest 21yrs and under property going around.

Would the Force be able to squeeze in Lomax with Faulkner, Ainsley and Vui? I'm sure they would be interested but probably not an option, but someone else I'm sure would love to have him, perhaps the Tahs to replace Taavao and learn from Kepu. Force already have TPN, Tessman, Rangi and Scoble as Hookers, and I'm sure they would like Uelese and Hanson but someone of that talent should go to a team that NEED a young future star Hooker or a quality wallaby performer...like the Brumbies.

Like I said, not the only players the Force could really use in their team, but they would be at the very tippy top of the list.

Everyone would love Mafi, but with RHP, Naisarani, Stander, Cottrell and Mccalman, could they afford to bring him in $ PLUS risk losing one of those players searching for more minutes when Mafi can only play 1 more season in Aus. A team that DESPERATELY needs a barnstorming no.8 and has room for one would be the Tahs and Brumbies...moreso then the Force.

Moral of the long story - Rebels have some great players and in particular some of the best young prospects going around. Yes IMO the list of NEEDS for the Force wouldn't be as long as the Rebels, but other teams have holes to fill as well. If you really want a 2nd row, you'd hope the Force fold, if you really want a flying Fijian, you'd hope the Rebels fold.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Hmmm . I'd say any of the below would be at least in the 23 for the Force
- Mafi (Not an Aussie)
- Koirabete (maybe- I'm not convinced yet)
- Hodge (definitely)
- Naivalu (definately)
- Hanson (no)
- Timani (maybe- I'd prefer we stick with Naisarani)
See above.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Didn't say they were the only 3, but they would be on the top of the list purely because they are what the Force are REALLY lacking. Those would be 3 I would say the Force desperately need, a firepower winger which has been missing since losing Cummins. (Though Peni is good, it's nice to have 2 considering Verityam and Newsome are still very young and a different profile of player) and if that don't have Brache again (being a foreign Marquee now as a USA player) they REALLY need a centre behind Meakes and Rona apart from Coleman. Hodge would be great but that means 2 of the better 12's in the country are playing in the same team which is not ideal.

I think ALL teams would be looking at those younger players you mentioned, plus saaga and be thinking - hey wouldn't it be great to have those young guys developing here for us. Fantastic prospects any team would be lucky to have. Those guys, along with Rodda, Tui and Thor are the hottest 21yrs and under property going around.

Would the Force be able to squeeze in Lomax with Faulkner, Ainsley and Vui? I'm sure they would be interested but probably not an option, but someone else I'm sure would love to have him, perhaps the Tahs to replace Taavao and learn from Kepu. Force already have TPN, Tessman, Rangi and Scoble as Hookers, and I'm sure they would like Uelese and Hanson but someone of that talent should go to a team that NEED a young future star Hooker or a quality wallaby performer.like the Brumbies.

Like I said, not the only players the Force could really use in their team, but they would be at the very tippy top of the list.

Everyone would love Mafi, but with RHP, Naisarani, Stander, Cottrell and Mccalman, could they afford to bring him in $ PLUS risk losing one of those players searching for more minutes when Mafi can only play 1 more season in Aus. A team that DESPERATELY needs a barnstorming no.8 and has room for one would be the Tahs and Brumbies.moreso then the Force.

Moral of the long story - Rebels have some great players and in particular some of the best young prospects going around. Yes IMO the list of NEEDS for the Force wouldn't be as long as the Rebels, but other teams have holes to fill as well. If you really want a 2nd row, you'd hope the Force fold, if you really want a flying Fijian, you'd hope the Rebels fold.
OK points well made

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Hmmm . I'd say any of the below would be at least in the 23 for the Force
- Mafi
- Koirabete
- Hodge
- Naivalu
- Hanson
- Timani

I'm thinking more along the lines of the tippy top of a NEED wishlist, who most desperately would need Timani. Yes he would make the Force 23, but with Naisarani, RHP, Mccalman, Stander and Cottrell on the books, would he be at the top of their wishlist? or the top of the Tahs who are desperately lacking an enforcer for 2018?

Force desperately need a flying fijian, Rebels have 2 of the best!

Everyone would love to have Hodge!

IMO if they cut to 4 teams, a compromise for RUPA so less jobs are on the line would be to tighten the limits on foreign marquee, foreign developing and Japanese players. So guys like Parling, Peter Grant, Mafi & H.Tui wouldn't be as likely to be around.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Really? One slightly better than average year since inception and you think you are that good?

Staggeringly arrogant, and if you think that is even close to respectful, think again.
Look, you said we have to face truths. This is my truth. Don't like the opinion? Expect it if you talk about sensitive issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.