• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
if true then the Ward article is reassuring, BUT why would a player (worth having) come to the Rebels from one of the other franchises (Force re locations aside) ?
as an aside "so too the highly-regarded head of performance Damian Mednis"

head of underperformance actually

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
A very bold piece from Roy Ward. Stitches in a few other articles, but adds in some extra elements.

And this, if the Force gets the chop. Also interesting; leading players from the Tahs, Brumbies or Reds.

So all in all, positive things ahead. Glad we have 80% of the squad locked in. Wouldn't hurt to showcase it a little more.

Link: http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-unio...their-super-rugby-future-20170629-gx1g4q.html

It says they've re-signed four leading players and players from other teams, not leading players from other teams..........

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I'd say it's due process.

Australian Rugby consistently seems to be very very insular in it's coaching ranks.

Obviously there would be preferred recruits who'd be pre-listed, but why turn down Rob Baxter or Frank Azema if for some reason they'd want to coach in the Southern Hemisphere, but they'd never gotten an open opportunity to do so?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Sad to say GMR, but of those signings, only Chibba would be of interest to the other Super franchises imo. Really not much to get excited about with Stirzaker, and Cummins, and though Fereti might make it one day is still very green.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
so we have left un-signed or gone at the moment

Cruze Ah-Nau
Tim Metcher
Tom Moloney

Patrick Leafa
Siliva Siliva
Jordan Uelese

Murray Douglas (short-term)
Esei Ha'angana
Culum Retallick

Harley Fox
Sean McMahon
Amanaki Mafi
Will Miller (short-term)
Jordy Reid
Hugh Sinclair (short-term)

Michael Snowden

(Jack Debreczeni)
Ben Volavola

Dennis Pili-Gaitau

Pama Fou
Kentaro Kodama
Jonah Placid
Dom Shipperley

Confirmed leaving:

Dominic Day
Ben Meehan
Jake Schatz
Mitch Inman
Toby Smith
Jack Debreczeni

add to that Leafa, McMahon, Kodama, Pili-Gaitau at least

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Sad to say GMR, but of those signings, only Chibba would be of interest to the other Super franchises imo. Really not much to get excited about with Stirzaker, and Cummins, and though Fereti might make it one day is still very green.

Fuggen get a load of old sour puss here.

You what's worth getting excited about? More core players signed to a team whose future remains partly cloudy. Stop raining on our parade.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Fuggen get a load of old sour puss here.

You what's worth getting excited about? More core players signed to a team whose future remains partly cloudy. Stop raining on our parade.

Yeah, my point was that it is not all doom and gloom like some media outlets might suggest.

I still maintain they are leaving spots open to take in players from an axed team. I know, I shouldn't say that but my care factor has gone down a notch.

D

daz

I still maintain they are leaving spots open to take in players from an axed team. .

You bet your arse they are; it's just common sense and due dilligence. Names of required Force players would already be on the whiteboard in the Rebels coaching/recruitment office, just waiting for axing confirmation.

And I'm sure that the reverse is true over in Force HQ, just so I'm not accused of being a "vulture".

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
You bet your arse they are; it's just common sense and due dilligence. Names of required Force players would already be on the whiteboard in the Rebels coaching/recruitment office, just waiting for axing confirmation.

And I'm sure that the reverse is true over in Force HQ, just so I'm not accused of being a "vulture".
But I wonder who's whiteboard has more names - I have a feeling it's us, which is not such a good thing.

D

daz

Happy to say that as a Rebels supporter, I absolutely agree with this post.

Stirz and Cummins are not Super level players. Jury still out on Fereti.

Sorry lads, I applaud the fact we are still signing, but gee, we need better players than these guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.