• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
In that case the ARU could easily withdraw the licence from the VRU just like they planned to do from the Force/Brumbies but unlike the Force there is no agreement guaranteeing a team in that state..

No they can not easily withdraw the licence from the VRU the Rebels will remain under this scenario.
IMO the Force gave back their licence without due legal advice about the ramifications of doing so.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
No they can not easily withdraw the licence from the VRU the Rebels will remain under this scenario.
IMO the Force gave back their licence without due legal advice about the ramifications of doing so.
The licence would come with the guarantees that are protecting the Rebels now.

On the sale to other parties side, I have never seen a contract where the right to approve or deny assignment of a contract doesn't require the party who has to do so to act reasonably in doing so. Refusal on the basis that they want to buy it back would not not be reasonable. That whole line of argument is a furphy. Cox can sell to pretty much whoever he wants. If the ARU block it, it goes to court and the saga rolls on. Given how long these things take to get to court and a probable requirement for mediation before litigation based on what is reportedly happening with the damages claim, this process would take longer than the two legal actions underway, and probably only end up exposing the ARU to a further damages claim if it caused the buyer to walk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

L

Leo86

The Force never "gave" back their license but were made to trade it, unlike ALL other franchises. (With an option to purchase it back)

Due legal advice is probably why they included a guarantee to 2020

I dont think this should be in this thread nor attacking one another team's fans. (Same as attacking the man?) Some Force fans have spent time and money researching the ARUs financials.

ARUs cluster fuck, i as a Force supporter didnt do this nor did any Rebels supporter

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
personally i think everyone should cool it. i suspect none of us on here have any real idea of the eventual outcome.

all three, Rebels gone, Force gone, status quo are equally likely and speculation is just pointless. we have no say and absolutely no control over what eventuates. the ARU, clusterfuck that this all is, own it and will make the decisions court case results pending.

from an australian rugby perspective keeping all five seems the best option for longterm development, but we are told that it is unaffordable; from a personal perspective i'd like the Rebels to stay in preference to the Force, but i will concede the the Rebels have underwhelmed in both on and off field performance and the support base although passionate is pretty limited. The case for keeping/culling either franchise is comparable (but for different reasons). us fans have to wait and "que sera sera"

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
If you've dealt with Cox personally, as I have, you may take what he says with a massive grain of salt. I'm not going to cross any boundaries here and upset Mods, but let's simply say I don't value him or his word very highly at all.

Lou is right - the Victorian Government and VRU are working very well together to secure the Rebels' long-term future. It doesn't change that the Force genuinely believe that they have a watertight legal argument.

Hopefully it means we retain five teams for the next 3 years, even though the quality of the squads will be highly compromised by the fact that Australian team recruitment has been almost entirely consisting of targeting players from either the Rebels or Force. If both teams remain, there's going to be some last minute scrambling to assemble squads by all teams bar the Reds, especially the Rebels and Force themselves.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
This is the last I'm going to say on this but the force 'giving back their licence' is the only reason they haven't yet been cut because their 'due legal advise' created the clause stating that a team would remain in wa until 2020.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
This is the last I'm going to say on this but the force 'giving back their licence' is the only reason they haven't yet been cut because their 'due legal advise' created the clause stating that a team would remain in wa until 2020.

ok then thanks for that

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Just a bit over it all, really. I might just go and live in another country and follow a completely different competition. The Aviva Premiership is starting to look good.

My wife hasn't kept 100% across this, but she's sick of not knowing if we will have a rugby team close by to support anymore so whilst watching all of the game she has decided that she wants to be a Highlanders supporter.

D

daz

Actual conversation overhead at Taco Bill in Laverton this morning*:

Pulveriser: Morning Andrew, ready for our "mediation"? Ah ha ha.

Cox: Jesus wept. Dunno why they sent you to talk to me over a brekky barrito. Dead man walking.

P: Aw, come on Andrew, don't be mean. This whole thing is awfully upsetting, I mean, even my University Fraternity (up the Oinks!) have changed our regular tennis doubles day and not told me. Sad.

C: I have demands, so listen up, chinless.

P: Of course Andrew, what do you want?

C: I want $10 million damages.

P: Oh dear. I wish we had that kind of money. I could ask Cameron to sell one of his Monet's, but he isn't really talking to me either.

C: Right. Then forget the cash. I want unlimited recruiting allowances and for the ARU to stay the fuck out of my way to run the club however I see fit.

P: Certainly Andrew, no problem.

C: Good. Now fuck off.

*possibly

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
It would have been at a TGIF, so Andrew can record the conversation.

And I note at least one reference to the young ones, even if it was inadvertent.

But, how good are brekky burritos?

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
*snip

C: Right. Then forget the cash. I want unlimited recruiting allowances and for the ARU to stay the fuck out of my way to run the club however I see fit.
*snip

"I'm also going to need you to pick up my dry cleaning and give my car a wash, don't forget to chamois the windows. I also need you to stick that salary cap up your arse."

Status
Not open for further replies.