• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Oh, it was fairly tame, he gave little away, the reasons for culling a team seemed to change from crowd numbers, to money to player depth.

Neil Hay asked an interesting question: If an investor could be found that would shore up the Rebels financial position and give the ARU promises of further investment in Victorian Rugby to the tune of $14 million would the ARU accept this or not?
To which Clyne replied: "The challenge is we make a commitment to the broadcasters when we sign up to a broadcast and if the team is not performing --- we need that investment to be rock solid --- it will go to performance."
I think that Neil, who is a VRU Director, was hinting at the Victorian govenrment - Rebels partnership which has been rumoured to have been on the table since our last game, and to which the ARU has not as yet signed - and without jumping up and grabbing him by the throat, Neil has signalled the VRU's intention to go public if the ARU does not agree to this and pretty quickly too.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Wish he just bought the Aru already
d992c5c8d22f12e28c88023f86e14473.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

D

daz

Don't get me wrong, I think it's brilliant that the Force have a heavyweight like Twiggy on their side.

Just a question though - Let's assume the Force lose arbitration, and let's assume there is no appeal possible, which (I assume) is possible if there is no disagreement on the points of law; if there is merely a disagreement on the ruling, that may not be enough to trigger an appeal. Happy to be corrected on that.

It seems to me that even Twiggy's enormous wealth and power would not be of much help in that scenario. It is only if an appeal is possible can he really play a huge part.

Of course, if the Force win, this is all a moot point. But I am genuinely asking - Unless there is grounds to appeal, there is little anyone can do. Even Twiggy. Is that about right?

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Don't get me wrong, I think it's brilliant that the Force have a heavyweight like Twiggy on their side.

Just a question though - Let's assume the Force lose arbitration, and let's assume there is no appeal possible, which (I assume) is possible if there is no disagreement on the points of law; if there is merely a disagreement on the ruling, that may not be enough to trigger an appeal. Happy to be corrected on that.

It seems to me that even Twiggy's enormous wealth and power would not be of much help in that scenario. It is only if an appeal is possible can he really play a huge part.

Of course, if the Force win, this is all a moot point. But I am genuinely asking - Unless there is grounds to appeal, there is little anyone can do. Even Twiggy. Is that about right?

you can read into it what you want I guess.
But my guess is they are very confident of winning and are just getting some free publicity for TF.
Or they are very confident they will be able to appeal, may have kept something in their back pocket just for this eventuality.
It would seem a waste of time/dumb making threats without the likelihood of being able to follow through?

D

daz

you can read into it what you want I guess.
But my guess is they are very confident of winning and are just getting some free publicity for TF.
Or they are very confident they will be able to appeal, may have kept something in their back pocket just for this eventuality.
It would seem a waste of time/dumb making threats without the likelihood of being able to follow through?

I'm not trying to read anything into anything. My question was really asking a) If an appeal was automatic or not. And b) If an appeal is not possible, what, if anything, can Twiggy actually do?

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
I'm not trying to read anything into anything. My question was really asking a) If an appeal was automatic or not. And b) If an appeal is not possible, what, if anything, can Twiggy actually do?

no sorry, I wasn't saying you were, it was in relation to my guesses.

No auto appeal afaik, but they have said all along that they have a few aces up their sleeve if they need them?

Reactions: daz
D

daz

no sorry, I wasn't saying you were, it was in relation to my guesses.

No auto appeal afaik, but they have said all along that they have a few aces up their sleeve if they need them?

Well, Twiggy is one big ace, that's for sure.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Is the arbitration announcement coming today, or was that just another ARU flub.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
The other option ist that the ARU win the arbitration, but given the now robust state of the Force's finances they look at paths to follow.

Keeping their options open

(They are paralysed and no-one can make a decision)

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Appeal must be on an error of law, and leave to appeal must be granted by the court, however the Force legal team would be able to find something, either from the arbitration, or possibly outside it, to keep their legal options running well into next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

BLR

I believe Sinderberry during the members meeting way back when they would appeal to the Supreme court if it wasn't found in their favour. Didn't mention anything about errors of law to do so.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I believe Sinderberry during the members meeting way back when they would appeal to the Supreme court if it wasn't found in their favour. Didn't mention anything about errors of law to do so.
Was that before they agreed to arbitration?

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)

That means that they have something outside of the scope of the arbitration. The law around commercial arbitration appeals is very clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.