• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
It's been hinted by those in the know on TWF that the Force may have an ace up their sleeves something pointing to the ARU planning on cutting the force when they obtained the license. Now I don't want to play lawyer as I'm not one but that would be at best unethical and at worst extremely illegal.

B

BLR

Was that before they agreed to arbitration?

After, the point of going into arbitration, he explained was to speed things up because of the backlog in the Supreme court but the right to appeal to the Supreme Court was still an option.
That means that they have something outside of the scope of the arbitration. The law around commercial arbitration appeals is very clear.

What would 'outside of the scope' entail? Meaning there is more dirt that could be dug up potentially and RugbyWA are confident enough that this would be enough to grant an appeal?

Is it not a possibility that there is a contracted stipulation in the Alliance agreement granting them right of appeal no matter the reason for the original case failing? This is what I assumed originally as it seemed a hell of a risk to go the arbitration route if it was binding.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
It's been hinted by those in the know on TWF that the Force may have an ace up their sleeves something pointing to the ARU planning on cutting the force when they obtained the license. Now I don't want to play lawyer as I'm not one but that would be at best unethical and at worst extremely illegal.

yet not out of character for the ARU

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
That means that they have something outside of the scope of the arbitration. The law around commercial arbitration appeals is very clear.

Let's hypothesise. That's all we can do on here. What if, say, there was documentation unearthed showing the ARU had already started planning to cut the Force before they signed the alliance agreement with the franchise. A purely speculative suggestion, of course. Would this need any straightening?

MikeyBro

Frank Row (1)
If the Force lose the arbitration I want the Rebels to sell their license to the ARU and/or Twiggy for $10 mill and try to get into the Mitre 10 cup. Wait three years or so until Super Rugby disappears up it's own arse and have box seats for whatever comp replaces it. All the while reaping the rewards of all that money being invested in Vic rugby grass roots.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
If the Force lose the arbitration I want the Rebels to sell their license to the ARU and/or Twiggy for $10 mill and try to get into the Mitre 10 cup. Wait three years or so until Super Rugby disappears up it's own arse and have box seats for the whatever comp replaces it. All the while reaping the rewards of all that money being invested in Vic rugby grass roots.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
After, the point of going into arbitration, he explained was to speed things up because of the backlog in the Supreme court but the right to appeal to the Supreme Court was still an option.

What would 'outside of the scope' entail? Meaning there is more dirt that could be dug up potentially and RugbyWA are confident enough that this would be enough to grant an appeal?

Is it not a possibility that there is a contracted stipulation in the Alliance agreement granting them right of appeal no matter the reason for the original case failing? This is what I assumed originally as it seemed a hell of a risk to go the arbitration route if it was binding.

Not sure what would entitle new grounds for action as we really don't know the current grounds, and by nature of arbitration probably never will. What is certain is that arbitration can only be appealed if the arbitration agreement permits it, there is a an error of law in the award, and the court grants leave. This is locked in by legislation - otherwise arbitration would just be another way for lawyers to build their fees up. Given RugbyWA have said they would appeal in case of loss, they clearly have maintained the appeal right. Given the calibre of their lawyers they will be able to at least build an argument for an appeal. If the Force lose arbitration their legal action will wind on for months or years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Haven't we been down this path before, that is the Rebels recruiting high profile players..

Reactions: Jon

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Haven't we been down this path before, that is the Rebels recruiting high profile players..
Yes, but Genia is of much better character than the others. Even though he would prefer to be at the Reds and most likely would only sign with the Rebels for a year, I believe Will would be the utter professional and give his all for Melbourne whilst there.

D

daz

High profile v high profile.

Cipriani, Beale and O'Connor are a far cry from Simmons and Genia.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I bet Stirzaker is thrilled with the news; relegated to the bench and as a result, stripped of the captaincy.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)

This was the same path the Rebels were going to go down - On Kick and Chase after the announcement, Clyne said they knew five teams were unsustainable as soon as the Rebels entered.

That would mean both the Rebels' sale and the Force's acquisition were arguably done under false pretenses.

As soon as I saw that interview I knew it was going to played in court.

B

BLR

Yes, but Genia is of much better character than the others. Even though he would prefer to be at the Reds and most likely would only sign with the Rebels for a year, I believe Will would be the utter professional and give his all for Melbourne whilst there.

I beg to differ, a few years ago he verbally agreed to join the Force and then back flipped after hearing the Reds 'team song'. So don't get your hopes up until the ink is on the page as I heard that team song is a cracker. ;)

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I beg to differ, a few years ago he verbally agreed to join the Force and then back flipped after hearing the Reds 'team song'. So don't get your hopes up until the ink is on the page as I heard that team song is a cracker. ;)
I wasn't referring to whether he would sign or not, that can change in a heartbeat (we were on the brink of signing Bernard Foley in 2014). It was more what he would be like if he does sign.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I bet Stirzaker is thrilled with the news; relegated to the bench and as a result, stripped of the captaincy.
I would actually like to see Goddard as the bench scrummie, regardless of who is starting.

Colby has got to be the obvious choice for captain.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Yeah we've been there before with Foley.

Character-wise Would still prefer him at 30ish to some of the guys we splashed cash on in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tex

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
After the season his had I think he should feel happy to even have a contract. Needs to be stripped of captaincy, my god his win lose record is bad. 2 or 3 wins from 20 odd games.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.