• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlesalan

Sydney Middleton (9)
What exactly does the future hold for the Rebels?
It is a club on the brink of insolvency without the Vic Gov funds , it has no head coach, it is missing about a third of its playing team, no main sponsorships and falling memberships.
So what is the Board doing that's different from what they've done in the past? Let's see, MRRU Board: Tim North, Owain Stone, Lyndsay Cattermole and Bob Dalziel. Cattermole and Dalziel were on the advisory board for Cox before he did a runner and before that they were on the Board for the VRU with Harold Mitchell. What board oversight have they contributed? Tim North and Owain Stone were both on the VRU Board that signed off on the sale to Cox and assisted with the execution of the Put Option - but what have they contributed in terms of vision for the game and growth and longevity for the club? They have a CEO who was thrown in the deep end when Cox decided to exit - and what vision does Baden have? What experience does he have in sports administration ?- well not so much, that's why he called in Rob Clarke to advise him - and now we've come full circle - Rob Clarke was the instigator of the sale of the Rebels to Cox .
What will these guys do that is going to make the Rebels a success?
Please give me something, cause it's breaking my heart

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
It is a club on the brink of insolvency without the Vic Gov funds , it has no head coach, it is missing about a third of its playing team, no main sponsorships and falling memberships.
So what is the Board doing that's different from what they've done in the past? Let's see, MRRU Board: Tim North, Owain Stone, Lyndsay Cattermole and Bob Dalziel. Cattermole and Dalziel were on the advisory board for Cox before he did a runner and before that they were on the Board for the VRU with Harold Mitchell. What board oversight have they contributed? Tim North and Owain Stone were both on the VRU Board that signed off on the sale to Cox and assisted with the execution of the Put Option - but what have they contributed in terms of vision for the game and growth and longevity for the club? They have a CEO who was thrown in the deep end when Cox decided to exit - and what vision does Baden have? What experience does he have in sports administration ?- well not so much, that's why he called in Rob Clarke to advise him - and now we've come full circle - Rob Clarke was the instigator of the sale of the Rebels to Cox .

We will win the competition.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Which one are you?
852aa3f9faf50368088862e2c19245c5.jpg

charlesalan

Sydney Middleton (9)
sigh
it's a bit like telling jokes about your old nan at her funeral - no one wants to acknowledge the elephant in the room

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)

There is a few things we have going for ourselves.

Talent..... I know i am going to get someones back up over this, but our players u21 are the best in the country, maybe not as a team but our top 5/6 u20s i challenge someone to honestly name a combo of player more promising than on the Rebels books. Call me biased but McGregor is better than Stewart, Tuipulotu is the best centre in this bracket, Maddocks (Perese obviously aside) looks a class above the the rest in this age bracket, from a small sample size we have the best u18 player in Tupou. Uelese we all know about. The world rugby 7s young player of the year is coming onboard. Goddard is one of the better young 9s.

Will Genia is coming onboard next year in a dramatic improvement from the 9s available in previous years. Apart from McMahon we have kept the better players and largely culled the dross. Koroibete a year smarter in the technical attributes of the game. I will admit Lomax is a blow. Geoff Parling is the best 2nd rower we have had on our books potentially ever (not that the competition is that great). JGB has been on fire in the Mitre 10 cup.

Yes there is clear and obvious systematic issues but all clubs have this. Personally i think we are now caught in a spiral of negativity and boohoo'ers nation wide that we have forgotten how to even acknowledge even the smallest rays of sunshine available. Time to move forward, we all have a right to be angry (some more so than others eg. Force fans), but we don't have a right to wallow is self pity, that shit is contagious and doesn't do anyone any good.

Going forward are we stuffed???? who knows, but i think we are in a better position than we were this time last year. If it blows up in my face, so be it, but i am honestly too exhausted with Australian rugby at the moment, leaning towards a negative spin on things that i have got to start looking at anything and everything in a different manner to get the enjoyment back

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Of the NRC crew (Rising), who would you like to see given an opportunity in the senior squad next season?

Meafu and Ratu i think could be worth a fringe roll, say 4th choice situation. Also Paisami i'd be dissapointed if he didn't turn up somewhere in an Aus club

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)

Realistically, we have 16 games of rugby to look forward to for each of the next two years. Beyond that, who knows? Once the new broadcasting agreement negotiation start pretty much all options are possible. The MRRU have this time to find a way forward that ensures the long term survival of the club; obtaining support from the Vic gov is a good start.

Rock Lobster

Larry Dwyer (12)
Am I the only one that thinks missing out on Wessels could be a blessing for the Rebels? I would anticipate serious group dynamic issues if he did come and brought a bunch of players with him whose sole reason for coming was because he was coach. His man management skills would have to be peerless to convince incumbent Rebels players they were all coming off the same base.
Could be wrong but certainly something to think about IMO.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Of the NRC crew (Rising), who would you like to see given an opportunity in the senior squad next season?

Meafu and Ratu i think could be worth a fringe roll, say 4th choice situation. Also Paisami i'd be dissapointed if he didn't turn up somewhere in an Aus club

The first two you mentioned are definitely worth a squad spot. Meafou could potentially develop into a better version of Skelton, he seems pretty athletic for a largish young fellow. Paisami has been pretty good but I don't think he'd be up to Supe standard for a while at least. Tupou has been pretty impressive, I loved the way he threw himself into a couple of tackles on Naiyaravoro on Sunday. Of the young guns that haven't yet played for the Rebels I really hope that McGregor gets a crack sooner rather than later. Tupai has to be worth a mention.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Am I the only one that thinks missing out on Wessels could be a blessing for the Rebels? I would anticipate serious group dynamic issues if he did come and brought a bunch of players with him whose sole reason for coming was because he was coach. His man management skills would have to be peerless to convince incumbent Rebels players they were all coming off the same base.
Could be wrong but certainly something to think about IMO.

As long as it is a coach that looks at fundamentals and builds from there. This is what Wessels did at the Force, they weren't any more or less skillful than the other players, but they appeared fitter and more organised. The same could be said of the Brumbies. We also need players that drive standards, hopefully Parling and Genia are such players.

Status
Not open for further replies.