• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
^^^^
I would not mind seeing

11. Koroibete
12. Hodge
13. Naivalu
14. English or another winger
15. Maddock

Not a bad backline, my only issue with this would be our 10. With this back line there is a lot of damaging ball runners but would believe we would need an orchestrator than a facilitator at 10. Say a Cooper style player than a Foley. Would be a brilliant back line on the front foot tho.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yep. I'm in the Hodge at 13 camp as well. I'd be happy for Sione to be given first crack at 12. His form in the Under 20s WC and in the NRC so far has been outstanding.

Sione's skills are very underrated, plus his feet have the ability to get himself out of trouble and create space. Hodge's best attributes are the fantastic lines he runs, plus his ability to read the right move in defense. Perfect 13 material

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Not a bad backline, my only issue with this would be our 10. With this back line there is a lot of damaging ball runners but would believe we would need an orchestrator than a facilitator at 10. Say a Cooper style player than a Foley. Would be a brilliant back line on the front foot tho.

Our backline the last couple of seasons has been like a daddy long legs spider; it's got a bit of deadly venom but no way to inject it. In the little bit of the ITM I've seen, JG-B has looked pretty good but he seems to be mostly a distributor. We probably looked best on attack when we had Aussie Mike, when not banged up, providing the playmaker thing from full back.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Saw this in a news article this week and was going to ask if stirzaker was really still captain. Then noticed they'd just cropped last years...
5365066c1bdcfc936dac4b3a25010d8d.jpg

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
with luck Fainga'a will be captain, or Genia possibly. (or McMahon if Cheika convinces hime to stay - which i highly doubt. Stirzaker needs to just concentrate on somehow resurrecting his game.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
with luck Fainga'a will be captain, or Genia possibly. (or McMahon if Cheika convinces hime to stay - which i highly doubt. Stirzaker needs to just concentrate on somehow resurrecting his game.

Nic is going to have to play well to make the 23. Goddard is going well and he's a goal kicker.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Jon Preston (Highlanders) is not on the market. He is looking for his "next challenge".

Could that new challenge be in Melbourne town? Don't think it could be bad getting an experienced coach into the mix. And a decent record too.

This assumes that Wessels is not taking the HC role. No updates on that front.

http://www.rugby365.com/tournaments/super-rugby/81255-highlanders-preston-quits-his-job

Does Preston have any head coaching experience though?
A quick look at his profile says he was skills coach at Wellington before becoming skills coach at the Highlanders in 2013. Obviously his next challenge would be either a HC role or assistant's gig with an international team.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Then there's this bit of news.

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2017/09/25/coleman-in-johannesburg

Reading between the lines a bit here but could be indicating DW is going north.

As others have suggested on GAGR he is either assessing a move north or shopping for a better price from the ARU/Rebels. Can't blame him for either, but would like him to stay.

I reckon Cheika is counselling him on his next move, and that would be to stay in Aus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
As others have suggested on GAGR he is either assessing a move north or shopping for a better price from the ARU/Rebels. Can't blame him for either, but would like him to stay.

I reckon Cheika is counselling him on his next move, and that would be to stay in Aus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coleman's market value is no doubt way above whatever he is going to be offered here. He might be able to squeeze out a better deal from the ARU but probably not enough to match. It will come down to whether he prefers the extra $$$ (and maybe the chance to send an "up your's" to the ARU) or to stay and play in the RWC and become a 50+ test player.
Cheika's counselling (or ear-bashing and guilt tripping) has worked before so let's keep hoping for a good result.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
It seems to have worked for Chieka so far.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Cheika's M.O. has been sweet talking players about them being integral to his plans for the team. And fair enough too. He's got to do whatever's needed to get the job done.

In Coleman's case it is more believable than most. But I reckon people see through Cheika's bullshit more now.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Cheika's M.O. has been sweet talking players about them being integral to his plans for the team. And fair enough too. He's got to do whatever's needed to get the job done.

In Coleman's case it is more believable than most. But I reckon people see through Cheika's bullshit more now.

Even if he goes to Europe, Coleman will still end up playing for Aus too. After reading that Hansard report the ARU are devoid of integrity and Coleman knows it. He will get the best of both worlds. He is clearly pretty upset with how the ARU have screwed the Force and happy not to be involved with the likes of Clyne, Pulver and Rob Clarke any more than he has to. On Cheika probably enough said.

Status
Not open for further replies.