• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Well Cox can either take a buy out now for some money or face no Super Rugby at all after 2020 and have a worthless license.

Take your pick. Super Rugby is becoming a worse investment by the day.
Either way, I think everyone will sit tight now until the arbitration and see where that goes.

B

BLR

Either way, I think everyone will sit tight now until the arbitration and see where that goes.

Well like Mr Sinderberry said at the members meeting the other day you have a situation of a legal case that RugbyWA believe is rock solid vs an owner who can get up and sell whenever.

So I would suggest leave the rumours to the morons who have been wrong time and time again during this cycle and talk about your own team and making them sustainable for the long term.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Well like Mr Sinderberry said at the members meeting the other day you have a situation of a legal case that RugbyWA believe is rock solid vs an owner who can get up and sell whenever.

So I would suggest leave the rumours to the morons who have been wrong time and time again during this cycle and talk about your own team and making them sustainable for the long term.
The one thing that I have never understood, Force talk about an agreement involving a tv deal. The existing tv deal is over and its a revised deal in place feom 2018 with 15 teams. So that agreement would become void to

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The one thing that I have never understood, Force talk about an agreement involving a tv deal. The existing tv deal is over and its a revised deal in place feom 2018 with 15 teams. So that agreement would become void to

Well, that is the whole point of the arbitration - to argue if the agreement is to the end of the 2020 TV rights deal or does the TV rights deal change with the new proposed 15-team comp, therefore saying the agreement is no longer valid.

The lawyers will win, we know that much.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)

Except entering into an agreement (contract) and then working against that contract is unethical and and if the force lawyers are to be believed a breach of said aggrement (contract) hence the litigation. That's if a court was to declare that there is in fact a new TV deal In place or is it just a competition change as the money and time frame remain the same.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
It depends on the wording in the agreement. Whether it says "until the end of the 2020 Super Rugby season" or "until the end of the current TV rights deal". And then there's the arguement of if the change to 15 teams constitutes a new TV deal. Fun and games, fun and games.

B

BLR

It depends on the wording in the agreement. Whether it says "until the end of the 2020 Super Rugby season" or "until the end of the current TV rights deal". And then there's the arguement of if the change to 15 teams constitutes a new TV deal. Fun and games, fun and games.

I believe it is 2020 from everything coming out from RugbyWA, I don't think the TV deal comes into it, just a media thing to sensationalise it perhaps.

Also we have an ex-QC (Quade Cooper) & ex Governor working pro-bono for us so I would assume he'd have it covered pretty well.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
So with due respect to our Force friends I wonder wether this 80% number includes the at least six Force players including DHP who I have had confirmed from inside the Rebels have signed letters of intent to play for the Rebs should the Force be cut
My understanding is they are all key position starting players . Given the mediation date now set between the Force and ARU is still some time off the Rebs are either very confident of that result or are taking a pretty big risk of putting their recruitment for next year further behind the eight ball
So how does that work?

Either they are signed or they aren't. Why wouldn't you announce the signings if it is a done deal? A letter of intent? ie We will sign if the Force are folded? That would just be an insurance policy.

I couldn't help but laugh if the Force were cut and there were more 2017 Force players in the 2018 Rebels starting side than 2017 Rebels.

Ado Tornado

Allen Oxlade (6)
So how does that work?

Either they are signed or they aren't. Why wouldn't you announce the signings if it is a done deal? A letter of intent? ie We will sign if the Force are folded? That would just be an insurance policy.

I couldn't help but laugh if the Force were cut and there were more 2017 Force players in the 2018 Rebels starting side than 2017 Rebels.

A letter of intent is nothing more than a little reassurance for the Force boys that they have a home next year if the Force folds. As we've seen in mungo land a million times they're not enforceable. I just think the whole episode sucks a fat one.
If it's the Force that gets to walk the plank, I feel for all the great rugby people over west who have busted a gut supporting the Force and developing the grass roots game with such great results.
They don't deserve it. The board of the ARU and inept manglers of the game at Rugby HQ must be swept aside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
I believe it is 2020 from everything coming out from RugbyWA, I don't think the TV deal comes into it, just a media thing to sensationalise it perhaps.

Also we have an ex-QC (Quade Cooper) & ex Governor working pro-bono for us so I would assume he'd have it covered pretty well.

I hope so. It would be great to see a press release a couple of hours into arbitration which basically says that the Force have a contractual right to play and the ARU has decided to retain 5 teams.

I just can't believe that it is so long away.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
A letter of intent is nothing more than a little reassurance for the Force boys that they have a home next year if the Force folds. As we've seen in mungo land a million times they're not enforceable. I just think the whole episode sucks a fat one.
If it's the Force that gets to walk the plank, I feel for all the great rugby people over west who have busted a gut supporting the Force and developing the grass roots game with such great results.
They don't deserve it. The board of the ARU and inept manglers of the game at Rugby HQ must be swept aside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct, it's the tried and true method of - give them something to sign that looks and feels like a commitment and then hope they don't question it.

Remember when Bernard Foley signed this type of thing with the Rebels a few years back?

I believe Genia also signed one with the Force.

Reactions: mst

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
If indeed several Force players have signed letters of intent with the Rebels and other teams, could we also assume Rebels players have done the same thing? Would stand to reason with both teams under threat.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
If indeed several Force players have signed letters of intent with the Rebels and other teams, could we also assume Rebels players have done the same thing? Would stand to reason with both teams under threat.

Could be the case. Could also be that Coxy/the Rebels are the only ones brazen enough to go for Force players this early.

The ARU has guaranteed contracts, so really the only boys that should be worrying are the ones who're unsigned for 2018 and want this done on their terms.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
You would wager that the ARU has encouraged it. They have probably canvassed the other sides and encouraged those Force players who would be likely starters elsewhere to have a contract prepared in case the Force are dumped. They would be silly not to. Hang on, maybe that means that the ARU haven't done this.... It would be the first sensible thing they have done in the past 6 months.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hutchinson officially on board for next year now.
so one would assume that Fou, Shipperley and Placid gone, and the Japanese winger.
the two "Fijians", Hutchinson, Maddocks (as cover) and Tuopou should suffice. pity about Fou would have liked to see what he could have done.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I can see Placid staying, maybe target him as a 13 going forward. He also offers utility value from the bench. Might be the end of Shippers and potentially Fou back into the 7s? Who knows it'd all be purely speculation. I like Hutch but did think it's a strange signing with the depth we do have.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
But, but, but... why are they signing players when they won't be around next year and Victoria has no grassroots Rugby or player pathways and they only got minus 2 billion at the Wallabies game yesterday? I'm so confused. Could social media be, cough, lying?

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I can see Placid staying, maybe target him as a 13 going forward. He also offers utility value from the bench. Might be the end of Shippers and potentially Fou back into the 7s? Who knows it'd all be purely speculation. I like Hutch but did think it's a strange signing with the depth we do have.
I would like to see Placid stay. In his very limited time this year he has impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.