• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2020

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
and how did that work out for them?

The Rebels won their first three games in 2019 so seemingly not playing their stars for a lot of minutes in the preseason wasn't a terrible idea.

It might be the wrong plan but I would imagine they have a targeted number of minutes for the core players in the preseason. For most that would only involve one game. I would expect a much stronger team to be named for the game against the Brumbies.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Trial form means nothing. Team cohesion means everything. You can find links between trials and cohesion as you want, but winning a trial game isn't team cohesion.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I personally would of gone To'omua or Jones. DHP is a good man tho and will rep the club well, especially off the field.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
The Roger Gould dilemma.

Backrower captains are all the rage these days ;)
Ideally a flanker or halfback for me. Close to the action and the refs ear. A tight forward has their head in the scrum and and an outside back is too far away, but I suppose you also need a loose forward or 9 who's up for the job

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
Ideally a flanker or halfback for me. Close to the action and the refs ear. A tight forward has their head in the scrum and and an outside back is too far away, but I suppose you also need a loose forward or 9 who's up for the job

The problem with this is that loose forwards are only slightly higher up the evolutionary tree than the Bonobo. Which one of us hasn't said "Tell him about the rabbits George" to quieten down an over excited flanker. The last thing you need is when the captain is trying to debate a particularly subtle nuance of scrum technique with the ref for him to suddenly look up go "ohh shiny" and run off to hump the leg of some young unsuspecting lass in the crowd.
The scrum-half is equally problematic, after two minutes talking to the little bast... chap I want to punch him so imagine how it would be for a ref.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think the captain either needs to be in the forwards or the halves so they can be in closer to the referee, especially for having a having a presence around rucks, mauls, scrums and lineout which is where the bulk fo the penalties and officiating occurs.

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
I actually don't think it really matters where on the field the captain plays.
The captain just needs to be able to be sufficiently eloquent and intelligent to manage the ref.
He needs to be respected by his teammates for both his words and his actions.
Leadership is the key for the captain and he needs to be an automatic choice for his position.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
It’s that time of the season to have a stab at preferred lineups

1 Gibbon
2 Uelese
3 Smith
4 Jones
5 Philip
6 Wells
7 Wilkin
8 Naisarani
9 Lomani
10 To'omua
11 Koroibete
12 Meakes
13 Hodge
14 Kellaway
15 DHP

16 Rangi
17 Sa’aga
18 Ainsley
19 Leota
20 RHP
21 Tuttle
22 English
23 Magnay

It’ll be far from the team rolled out next week as a few guys are still a couple of weeks away, todays starting lineup will be very close to next weeks team.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
What did people think of Dave Wessels comments in the Super Rugby launch (https://www.facebook.com/foxsportsaus/videos/110980620309933/ ~27min mark) about making a lot of mistakes and not really enjoying his coaching last year at the end of the season and that he was doing a lot of things around the team not brining him much joy/energy and spending less time with the players/hands on.

Said he has a hands on role this year.

Sounds a bit like he was doing more managing than coaching last year.

Stuart Lancaster spoke a lot about the different elements of coaching and how he appreciated the role Leo Cullen played at Leinnster in allowing him to focus on actual hands on coaching/running sessions. Worth a listen (https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p080cl9k)

I do wonder how well we are managing our coaches/teams in this country. You get such a different impression from a well run org with happy coaches like the Brumbies vs some of the other franchises.