• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2020

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Question for the Rebs fans - what were your thoughts re Pone Fa’amausili.

I know he got pinned twice for breakdown penalties - 1 of which I thought he was probably unlucky, but otherwise I thought he did some pretty good things. I’ve only watched the game once and haven’t looked at any stats, so I couldn’t tell you what his overall work rate was like but he had some good involvements and seems pretty solid in the scrum.

There has been a lot of talk about all the book rookies around but I haven’t read too much on him. What is the general feel?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

I know he got pinned twice for breakdown penalties - 1 of which I thought he was probably unlucky, but otherwise I thought he did some pretty good things. I’ve only watched the game once and haven’t looked at any stats, so I couldn’t tell you what his overall work rate was like but he had some good involvements and seems pretty solid in the scrum.

There has been a lot of talk about all the book rookies around but I haven’t read too much on him. What is the general feel?

Thought he was a big step up on previous props we've had. Those ruck penalties are pretty easy to coach out but his scrummaging was a big improvement. Also think our scrum was much better thanks to having two very capable locks in the row and not a flanker convert.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
He did well against an all Wallabies front row, he's only 23 so plenty of time to improve around the park (and that haircut :) )

Thought he was a big step up on previous props we've had. Those ruck penalties are pretty easy to coach out but his scrummaging was a big improvement. Also think our scrum was much better thanks to having two very capable locks in the row and not a flanker convert.

TheNorth

Allen Oxlade (6)
His fair to hit back, but let's face it. If the Rebels don't make the final he should call it quits. We have the squad to win this 5 team comp and anything short of the final is a F if you ask me.

I think the rebels have a lot of talent but never seem to pick a team that has any balance...

Hodge should never of started 13 and is not a 13. He really is 15 and someone like the Reds would be lucky to have him there. But in this squad he isn't needed at 15 and should be relegated to the bench.

Also there isn't a whole lot of midfield punch in the starting lineup, Magnay improves the situation. But it's no coincident that when the reserves came on last week they got a bit more punch out of the forwards.

A lot of good individual players in Melbourne but not sure that equals a good squad.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think the rebels have a lot of talent but never seem to pick a team that has any balance.

Hodge should never of started 13 and is not a 13. He really is 15 and someone like the Reds would be lucky to have him there. But in this squad he isn't needed at 15 and should be relegated to the bench.

Also there isn't a whole lot of midfield punch in the starting lineup, Magnay improves the situation. But it's no coincident that when the reserves came on last week they got a bit more punch out of the forwards.

A lot of good individual players in Melbourne but not sure that equals a good squad.

Not sure of everything you say about Hodge, but this bit I am utterly certain of: I would under no circumstance select Hodge in front of Campbell at the Reds. And sometimes Campbell sits behind Hegarty.

I suspect centres is pretty good for Hodge. Let him settle there.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member

He did well against a Wallaby front row, but he looked cooked after 30min. Probably needs afew more games under his belt before he's the first choice tighthead.

His scrumwork and power was immense. That front row will become formidible if they get reguar game time together.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Injured expected to miss rest of the season
I’m pretty sure I read today that he was ok to be picked tonight but they opted to rest him to take advantage of the bye next week to give his hamstring the best opportunity to heal. Could have just been spin though.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
I’m pretty sure I read today that he was ok to be picked tonight but they opted to rest him to take advantage of the bye next week to give his hamstring the best opportunity to heal. Could have just been spin though.

It was in the Telegraph the other day so who knows