• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2021

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Cause To'omua and DHP have both negotiated a year away to make up for the loss of pay during Covid. Catch is they can't both go at the same time.

Koroibete has been rumored to being released to France, I can't see how the ARU would be willing to let one of the best players go at the moment. His not even droppable from the match day 15, let alone releasing a JEM from contract.

Here's hoping we keep Marika. I'd imagine he's on track to getting a 2nd JEM.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I reckon Matt Philip and Michael Hooper have been our other most consistent players across the four tests so far.

Only two more tests left for the year so it's a very abbreviated JEM and could be impacted by Rennie opting to give some other players a crack in the final two tests.

Yeah, it may well come down to who gets to play all/most of the tests, which probably favours the younger guys who already there. You'd expect it's the older players who will get a rest for one or two of the Argentina games, that probably puts Phillip in the box seat with Wilson and Tupou as outside chances.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
FFS, as if we havn't waited long enough to watch our boys play.

Bye than away first up.

EmghDmvVgAER0Na

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Also Victorian School holidays starts the 2nd of April, so anyone who goes away for Easter misses at least one game. In my case 2 games as we are away the 2nd to the 9th. And after this year where we have gone no where I ain't cutting a trip short to come back for a Force game.

Most likely won't be renewing my membership with this fixture, the cross over comp afterwards will need to be good to get me signed up.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
In a positive the press release specifically mentions Koroibete for next year, so any rumors of him gone should be quashed.

You would also assume DHP and To'omua are not going to risk sabbatical when they have lacked game time in gold this year.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
You would also assume DHP and To'omua are not going to risk sabbatical when they have lacked game time in gold this year.
Yeh, appears all overseas squads until backend of next year are basically tied up now. DHP going forward I suspect might be the most likely to look elsewhere. This year he could legit fall down the pecking order for Wallabies and Hodge could stake a claim for his Rebels 15.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
We need them both. One of them will be on the wing.

9. Powell 10. Gordon 11. Koroibete 12. To'omua 13. Magnay 14. DHP 15. Hodge

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
We need them both. One of them will be on the wing.

9. Powell 10. Gordon 11. Koroibete 12. To'omua 13. Magnay 14. DHP 15. Hodge

I think it could be more likely:

9. Powell 10. To'omua 11. Koroibete 12. Hodge 13. Magnay 14. Anderson 15. DHP, 22. Gordon.

Could possibly swap To'omua and Hodge around and Anderson on the wing is just a guess. It could be Tonumaipea or Holland.

The second row is where we have a real problem. We have Cummins and Hosea and probably RHP on the bench and nada after that. Hope we hear of some good second row signings soon.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The fact that rugby has harsh penalties for dangerous play, particularly around actions that can cause concussion is likely to help their cause in future lawsuits relating to CTE etc.

Let's also remember that they are still pretty rare. I think Swinton's red card was only the 5th ever received by a Wallaby. I think that number is the same for the All Blacks and Tu'ungafasi's red card.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
The fact that rugby has harsh penalties for dangerous play, particularly around actions that can cause concussion is likely to help their cause in future lawsuits relating to CTE etc.

Let's also remember that they are still pretty rare. I think Swinton's red card was only the 5th ever received by a Wallaby. I think that number is the same for the All Blacks and Tu'ungafasi's red card.

And you'd imagine effective. Swinton will work hard on it, he might've scuppered his best chance at being a Wallaby incumbent. He won't forget this lesson for a while. I was just watching a video of John Kirwan saying he couldn't sleep after Saturday night he was so angry at the red cards because they should've been yellow. What a pillock.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
And you'd imagine effective. Swinton will work hard on it, he might've scuppered his best chance at being a Wallaby incumbent. He won't forget this lesson for a while. I was just watching a video of John Kirwan saying he couldn't sleep after Saturday night he was so angry at the red cards because they should've been yellow. What a pillock.

The reality is there's a fine line between it being no card at all and a red card. The reality too though is that the chin is one of the most vulnerable spots in terms of concussions so a slightly high tackle with force is one of the most dangerous.

Neither had the mitigating circumstance of the ball carrier suddenly dropping their body height.

I think there is real merit in looking at red cards being 10 or 20 minutes down a player and then a substitute can come on to help equalise the penalty between a red card in the 10th minute of a game vs the 60th minute of a game.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
I think they need to be more realistic on mitigating circumstances for this sort of stuff though, Swinton one fair Ofa's one, the wallaby clearly dipped into the tackle, not a tremendous amount but enough for it to go from being a safe and reasonable tackle to make to one that saw him sent from the field. At normal pace there's essentially zero he can do to alter his tackle